Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1137081 12/22/04 02:45 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Was on my way to work today on the interstate. Traffic was heavy, and moving faster than usual- especially the heavy trucks. Typically, they do between 60 and 70, though the speed limit based on weight for most of them is actually 55. Anyway, I was doing about 75, keeping with most of the faster traffic. (before I get preached at for being a cop and speeding- it happens, and no, I don't ticket people for doing 75 in a 65 unless they talk me into it)

Today, most of the trucks seemed to be travelling 80+. Maybe they were trying to get South before the expected snowstorm hit? Either way, traffic was heavy, and opportunities to pass were very limited. I found myself in the left lane behind a long line of trucks and a few cars, doing 75 and slowly passing traffic. One trucker behind me must have decided that he was more important than anyone else on the road, flashing his brights and riding extremely close to the car in front of him (car directly behind me). He eventually got around that car, but I was not about to be intimidated, since he really wasn't going to get much further anyway (I'll let people pass me, unless it is heavy traffic and there is no sense in forcing me over). We continued to pass traffic as I waited for a break in the right lane long enough that I would not have to take the cruise off to let him get around me. Finally, after about 12 miles, I found an opportunity. All the while he is riding my butt. As he goes by, he blows his air horn as if I was doing something wrong. I would have thought that my veteran plates would have at least allowed me some courtesy from this moron given current world events, but I guess not.

Now, I'm not the type to start some kind of road rage incident, but as a trucker, you really don't want to mess with me anyway. Typically, I don't like pulling trucks over because it's dangerous (vehicle size being a factor- danger to other traffic). Usually, if I catch them speeding, I hop on channel 19 and tell them to slow down. When they are going too fast for that, I'll pull them over and only give them a verbal, as I understand how a ticket can negatively affect their career. But after today, witnessing this moron's behavior, and the complete disregard of most truckers on the road for laws (25+ over their posted limit, and did you ever notice how they won't change lanes for you when you merge on the interstate, even if no traffic is around them?), I'm much more inclined to just write them whenever I get the chance.

Truckers: be careful who you piss off when you drive. You have no idea who that person is, and eventually, it will come back to bite you. Just because you are bigger than everyone else on the road doesn't make you right. It's better to look at yourself and see if you are doing something wrong first before you get angry at the other guy.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
#1137082 12/22/04 02:48 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Does Illinois not enforce a left-lane is for passing only law?

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1137083 12/22/04 02:50 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by sigma:

Some stretches of road in Illinois restrict trucks to the left lane period. Not sure why.

#1137084 12/22/04 02:50 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I HATE truckers (the rude ones, that is ) It seems like they are always pissed off at the world. You let one pass in front of you, they could care less. They never let me in lanes, and if they do, they blow their horn. If they are crabby and hate their job so much... why the hell do they do it then???

I love Michigan.....

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
#1137085 12/22/04 02:51 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
No.

In fact, many stretches of IL interstate are lightly (if at all) patrolled, due to serious lack of troopers. We are in such a fiscal mess after our last 2 (including current) governors.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
#1137086 12/22/04 02:53 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Was on my way to work today on the interstate. Traffic was heavy, and moving faster than usual- especially the heavy trucks. Typically, they do between 60 and 70, though the speed limit based on weight for most of them is actually 55. Anyway, I was doing about 75, keeping with most of the faster traffic. (before I get preached at for being a cop and speeding- it happens, and no, I don't ticket people for doing 75 in a 65 unless they talk me into it)

Today, most of the trucks seemed to be travelling 80+. Maybe they were trying to get South before the expected snowstorm hit? Either way, traffic was heavy, and opportunities to pass were very limited. I found myself in the left lane behind a long line of trucks and a few cars, doing 75 and slowly passing traffic. One trucker behind me must have decided that he was more important than anyone else on the road, flashing his brights and riding extremely close to the car in front of him (car directly behind me). He eventually got around that car, but I was not about to be intimidated, since he really wasn't going to get much further anyway (I'll let people pass me, unless it is heavy traffic and there is no sense in forcing me over). We continued to pass traffic as I waited for a break in the right lane long enough that I would not have to take the cruise off to let him get around me. Finally, after about 12 miles, I found an opportunity. All the while he is riding my butt. As he goes by, he blows his air horn as if I was doing something wrong. I would have thought that my veteran plates would have at least allowed me some courtesy from this moron given current world events, but I guess not.

Now, I'm not the type to start some kind of road rage incident, but as a trucker, you really don't want to mess with me anyway. Typically, I don't like pulling trucks over because it's dangerous (vehicle size being a factor- danger to other traffic). Usually, if I catch them speeding, I hop on channel 19 and tell them to slow down. When they are going too fast for that, I'll pull them over and only give them a verbal, as I understand how a ticket can negatively affect their career. But after today, witnessing this moron's behavior, and the complete disregard of most truckers on the road for laws (25+ over their posted limit, and did you ever notice how they will change lanes for you when you merge on the interstate, even if no traffic is around them?), I'm much more inclined to just write them whenever I get the chance.

Truckers: be careful who you piss off when you drive. You have no idea who that person is, and eventually, it will come back to bite you. Just because you are bigger than everyone else on the road doesn't make you right. It's better to look at yourself and see if you are doing something wrong first before you get angry at the other guy.

Guys like that [censored] give all of us a bad name.

If I had been around, I would have gotten on the radio and cussed him out for ya.

I always did 65-68 in Illinois in the trucks I drove and never had trouble from the ISP. Most troopers that have had conversations with truckers agree the split speedlimit is stupid but that's a decision that only the legislature can remedy.

#1137087 12/22/04 02:58 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by PackRat:
Originally posted by sigma:

Some stretches of road in Illinois restrict trucks to the left lane period. Not sure why.

It's temporary, and due to the heavy wear on the road surface. Trucks that always travel in a single lane cause parallel grooves in the roadway and that can cause accidents as water collects and freezes in the winter. By making them drive in the left lane, you can extend periods between construction. WI does the same thing.

#1137088 12/22/04 03:00 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I've wanted to be a cop since I was young, still do. I actually wanted to join the AF as Security Forces (read: MP). I'm glad my recruiter must have been like "Uhh... no" and put me down as open electronics, which netted me this electrician job. I hear SF is a very crappy job.

Anyway, I did an online thing for the Florida HP, and I actually got an application packet. Too bad I had to have 2 yrs of College/Military. I'm liking the Military so far, but I'm going to try to get into highway patrol when I get out (either in 2009 or 2023).

I would probly be like how you mentioned, not being "officer hard ass" to everyone, but that guy would have definatly been pulled over (I'm guessing you would have if you were on duty).

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
#1137089 12/22/04 03:01 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

I HATE truckers (the rude ones, that is ) It seems like they are always pissed off at the world. You let one pass in front of you, they could care less. They never let me in lanes, and if they do, they blow their horn. If they are crabby and hate their job so much... why the hell do they do it then???

To each their own.

Personally, I love driving on the road with truck drivers. I'd much rather have them on the road with me than a bunch of inattentive soccer moms.

I'll gladly slow down by 20mph to flash them in to pass and more often than not they generally do the same for me, they're quick to move out of the left lane unlike most drivers, they slow well in advance of police and if behind me will flash to warn me (and I them), they're far safer drivers than most people, on two occassions when on the side of the road they've stopped to see if I needed help (which is two more times than I can say for non-truck-drivers), and they're great company at truck stops (I always fuel and break at truck stops on road trips)

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1137090 12/22/04 03:33 AM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
i'm w/ sigma. I prefer to deal w/ professionals in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard