Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
OP Offline
D

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by dnewma04:

Quote:

has anyone seen a monster ad on tv or heard one on the radio or in a magazine?

no, no and yes, absolutely.

I apologize, they do advertise in magazines. but not on tv or radio.

Quote:

Quote:

monsters reputation is all word of mouth.

A co-worker of mine went to Best Buy to get a new DLP rear projection TV. He had a nice power conditioner/UPS for his computer at home already. By the time they left, the salesperson had convinced his wife that his 300.00 UPS was drastically inferior and the Monster version would better protect his investment. If this is the word of mouth that you speak of, then shame on the salespeople for preying on utter ignorance.

well i'm sorry you feel your co-worker got duped, but perhaps the Monster conditioner is better? If you feel the salesman was preying on his ignorance, maybe you should file a complaint with Best Buy

Quote:

Quote:

do you think people just go around telling their friends that monster is good because some salesman pushed it on them? what a joke.

No. They go around telling their friends Monster is good because it's what they spent a crapload of money on them and they have to justify themselves. The better sound they "hear" is purely in their own head. Multiple double blind tests have proven that even golden eared audiophools can't hear a difference between good solid cables. (There are some very high end cables that do EQ the sound enough to make them sound different, as said earlier but that is no longer hifi).

I'm sorry but this is just a load of bs. if you were an audiophile at all you would know that changing cables does make a difference in sound. sometimes a crappy cheap set of cables will make your system sound better then an expensive set, it all depends on your system and your room acoustics. To say that tests have been performed and nobody can tell the difference between cables is utter ignorance. this statement alone makes me not even want to finish this reply.

Quote:

Quote:

monster cables are better manufactured than most other cables even at their price point.

Please provide examples. I have disected some cables 1/3 of the cost of Monster Cable that had better connections at the terminals and equal quality terminals. No doubt they are built well, but certainly not for their price point.

Well, if you knew what you were talking about, the quality of a cable has to do a lot more with the "cable" then the ends. Monster cable has better content and shielding than most others in their price point. as i stated before.

Quote:

Quote:

they do sound better than any other cable at their price point, i don't care what anybody says, your equipment is only going to sound/look as good as the weakest link.

There have been an awful lot of people with respectable qualifications who have made similar claims than failed to back it up in a scientifically meaningful experiment. You, too, would fair miserably in such a test. If you speaker wire "sounds" like anything, they have failed their purpose.

Do you buy into other audio voodoo like high end power wire going from the outlet to the audio equipment, as well?

Yes, I have worked for a gentleman that sold high end audio equipment such as audioquest, anthem, lexicon, adcom, montana loudspeakers, martin logan.. just to name a few, and using better shielded power wire will make a difference. i'm not going to explain everything to you, you have a brain, learn something yourself instead of ranting on about how everything that is expensive is just somebody's way of ripping you off.

Quote:

Quote:

if you have a 20$ dvd and 10$ speakers, a 50$ cable isn't going to make your system sound better.

and it wouldn't on a $50,000 system. Buy good quality wires with nice terminals and the proper guage speaker wire, and you will be just fine.

i will refer you to above.. cables are more than terminals

Quote:

Quote:

also if you register monster cable online you get a lifetime warranty, and that's no ordinary warranty, you can cut your monster cable in half with scissors and they will replace it for you.

So, you are telling me that if I call Monster right now and tell them i am going to cut some monster cable in half with scissors, they will replace it? Seems incredibly stupid.

I don't know if they will tell you that on the phone, but they told me that they will credit me for replacing your cable if you cut it in half.

Quote:

Quote:

If you think monster cables are overpriced go price some audioquest cables.

Or kimber or [insert other ridiculously overpriced interconnects]...Just because there are more cables marketed towards weak-minded consumers with too much money on their hands.

just so you know, i will never spend the kind of money audioquest of kimber wants for their cables, but i have compared them to others, and they do make a difference

Quote:

Quote:

RadioShack Manager

DING DING DING....I now understand where you are coming from. As someone who stands to make a profit off of their marketing expertise, you won't be able to look at this objectively. Besides, adding your title kills what little credibility you displayed in your thread.

actually i only put that on there so that 99blacksesport would know that i was validated in telling him he would get a discount from monster.

the fact that i'm a radioshack manager only kills my credibility to ignorant people who feel that all sales people are out to rip them off. which obviously describes you pretty well.

thanks

Matt
RadioShack Manager

Matt '99 SVT Contour ---------------
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by dnewma04:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Ah ha, I shall read this information

D
OP Offline
D
Keep in mind while reading this that Roger Russell is one of the most prominent names in high-end audio with every reason in the world to capitalize on high end speaker wire, aside from compromising his integrity as a scientist and engineer.

I can find another link with similar responses from Ken Kantor of NHT among many others that don't stand to profit from fancy wires.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
btw i'm done posting in this thread, believe what you want, but if you go to a good audiophile shop and listen to the different equipment and cables available, you will hear a difference, eyes closed or not. what it really comes down to is what you can afford. i can't afford the expensive stuff but i have found what sounds the best at the best price. Monster is in that list. and so is Paradigm

good day

Matt '99 SVT Contour ---------------
D
OP Offline
D
Originally posted by Matt_H:
btw i'm done posting in this thread, believe what you want, but if you go to a good audiophile shop and listen to the different equipment and cables available, you will hear a difference, eyes closed or not. what it really comes down to is what you can afford. i can't afford the expensive stuff but i have found what sounds the best at the best price. Monster is in that list. and so is Paradigm

good day

You should have never started, you had nothing of any value to add. Go sell some more cables to pad your stores profits. Bye.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I don't think it gets a lot higher priced than monster. I think the only people that may need these are ones that have very high-end digital TVs and other components. But if they have enough money for a HDTV, a $40 cable is not a prob. For the majority of people, and most Contour drivers (anyone w/ a huge amount of money would be driving something faster ), Monster Cables are overkill. Even basic audio cables are expensive, $15 for 25 ft at Radioshack. RCA own the market on connections now. Personally I think I will buy speaker wire for cheap, then add the RCA ends on. Much more bang for my buck than stupid Monster Wires.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I wish I could find what I had researched... but it was now a couple of years ago, and my searching is coming up empty.

The studies primarily had to do with replication of frequency and amplitude from source to end, the trueness of what came in to what came out at the same time in phase... there were other aspects that I cannot recall, but differences did exist.

Using high end gear (somewhat better that I bought) there was a difference in clarity.

Claim what you will... All I ask is that everyone test with their own ears. Personally, I like the sound of KEF products.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
My uncle and I have almost the exact same home theatre equipement the only difference is that he uses Zu cables, and I use radio shack gold series and speaker wire made from braided ethernet cable. I honestly cant tell much of a difference between the two and my interconnects cost maybe a third of his. Maybe some day I will upgrade my cabling but I highly doubt it as I am more than satisfied now.

Totalled 99 SE Sport 03 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T APR DPP 93 Octane chip
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Matt_H:

the fact that i'm a radioshack manager only kills my credibility to ignorant people who feel that all sales people are out to rip them off. which obviously describes you pretty well.

thanks

Matt
RadioShack Manager

i worked for radioshack for four years. ran my own store for a while too. pushing expensive cables is EXACTLY what you are told to do by your district managers, and them by their regional managers. you have a vested interest in the sales of monster, so naturally you are going to sing their praises. you produce some specific scientific evidence (i.e. blind ABX tests) to validate you point, or go home. monster cable (and their ilk)has been the bane of the true diy audiophile for what seems like an eternity now, and apparently that won't be changing anytime soon.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard