Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
Originally posted by dnewma04:
Are you going to try to make the "one copper is better than another" argument?

no, i bet it will be the "i spent an assload of money, therefore it must sound better" argument.

No, I know why they are better. I don't need to spend and assload on the cables.

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by BrianW:
leasons unstead of spouting off is uneducated big mouth.

Speaking of uneducated.

LOL, typing too fast today. Even I'm laughing at that one.

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

Quote:

How come there aren't any Monster Rap Instrument Cables which excel in reproducing sampled cliched vinyl drum loops for 40 minutes

There is...any of them. They are made to be lossless cables. Use the $2 cable that you bought 20 years ago and you won't hear the true vinaly sound because that cable is corroded through and through and the only sound that makes it to your amp/receiver is the mids and mid-lows. Old cable CANNOT produce the highs that are heard(or not heard) in todays music.

You missed the point totally. The point of that sentence was to point out how absurd it is to have cables that say "jazz" or "rock" on them. Having different types of cable for different types of music is crazy, instruments don't care if their cable says jazz when they play rock. As long as they have the correct connector, they could say 'horrible music' on them and it wouldn't matter Also, we are not talking about cable we purchased 20 years ago. We are talking about buying cheap cabling today that doesn't need to be higher quality. For many situations, monster cable is overkill and you do NOT need that much shielding.

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Been there, worked that. RS cables SUCK. I can't tell how many cable I would replace everyday when I was there. Falling aprt, corroding broke-down crap cables.

BS!

i worked at radio shack full time for well over four years while going to school (in $1-1.5M stores) and i replaced about five cables the entire time.

also, if you knew jack about RS, you'd also know that they are giving away their huge margins by carrying the monster line.

also, if you knew jack about RS, you'd know the amount of pressure applied to the sales staff to sell gold (and now monster) cables. to the point that it was part of the companies monthly meetings to track stores progress in that area.

since you're so willing to prove your point, why not provide us with some technical proof (abx comparisons, etc) regarding the awesomeness of monster cables.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
OP Offline
D
Brian,

If the point of your example was to compare brand new Monster brand interconnects or speaker cable to 20 year old corroded poor quality wire, then you are correct, the Monster cable will sound better. But, Monster will NOT sound audibly different than any reasonably priced interconnect with even moderate quality connectors. Some good mic cable and some terminals from PE would save you a boat load of money and I would guarantee you would not hear a difference.

Monster does have some legitimate technologies they implement, but to imply that they make wires for different styles of music, tells me the are marketing snake oil. If it isn't snake oil and it sounds different, they are adding acoustical filters to change the original signal, a la MIT. Sorry, but I will pass on them EQing my cables, i prefer accuracy.

BTW, no one is saying to buy crappy wire, what we are warning against is buying into the marketing [censored] on the market. Next thing you know, you are going to mention "skin effect"...Just buy some wire with some nice well-built, secure terminals and you won't hear a difference. Wait, let me take that back, it will not sound different, but your mind may trick you into thinking you hear a difference.

Oh, and yes, I have been pressured by sales people as have 99.999999% of the people who have worked with salespeople. Afterall, that is their job, if they weren't trying to sell me something they wouldn't be doing their job. Luckily, I have the luxury of not being ignorant about consumer electronics and regularly correct and if necessary, humiliate sub-moronic sales people who don't have an ounce of technical knowledge.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
Been there, worked that. RS cables SUCK. I can't tell how many cable I would replace everyday when I was there. Falling aprt, corroding broke-down crap cables.

BS!

i worked at radio shack full time for well over four years while going to school (in $1-1.5M stores) and i replaced about five cables the entire time.

also, if you knew jack about RS, you'd also know that they are giving away their huge margins by carrying the monster line.

also, if you knew jack about RS, you'd know the amount of pressure applied to the sales staff to sell gold (and now monster) cables. to the point that it was part of the companies monthly meetings to track stores progress in that area.

since you're so willing to prove your point, why not provide us with some technical proof (abx comparisons, etc) regarding the awesomeness of monster cables.

Preach on brother! I am typing this from my job at RadioShack. 4 weeks ago I went to a training class and we were told that we need to sell from best to not so best. That means for the stupid $39 DVD player that is being hooked up to a 1980's brand RCA TV, we are supposed to try and get them to buy the $20 Monster cables to go with it!

That guy has no clue what it is to work at RS today.

Furthermore, for the average user the $2 RS non-gold cables will do just fine. If you do want a little more quality you can get the RS gold. Monster is overpriced, over-hyped crap. They are good cables, I would use them myself.... Had they not decided to charge me $30+ for a set of RCA cables.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
Preach on brother! I am typing this from my job at RadioShack. 4 weeks ago I went to a training class and we were told that we need to sell from best to not so best. That means for the stupid $39 DVD player that is being hooked up to a 1980's brand RCA TV, we are supposed to try and get them to buy the $20 Monster cables to go with it!

That's why I hated working at Radioshack so much. I would tell the customers what would work best for them and their budget. For that reason, sometimes they would buy the cheaper one, or I would refer them to walmart or some other place. When I worked there (Q4 2000), their big push was trying to sell every customer that walked in the door a Verizon cell. It was supposed to be the first thing out of your mouth after showing them what they were looking for. No way would I try to sell someone a cell phone if they came in looking for some random connector or say a resistor.

Even though I only sold 1 phone while I worked there, the district manager wanted me to keep working there, but there was no way cause I was only 16 and Tandy doesn't give out security codes to anyone under 18. So they kept the other guy they didn't like, but was their only choice.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Furthermore, for the average user the $2 RS non-gold cables will do just fine. If you do want a little more quality you can get the RS gold. Monster is overpriced, over-hyped crap. They are good cables, I would use them myself.... Had they not decided to charge me $30+ for a set of RCA cables.

Wow, umm first off the article is total bs. where does all this marketing budget go? has anyone seen a monster ad on tv or heard one on the radio or in a magazine? monsters reputation is all word of mouth. do you think people just go around telling their friends that monster is good because some salesman pushed it on them? what a joke.

monster cables are better manufactured than most other cables even at their price point. they do sound better than any other cable at their price point, i don't care what anybody says, your equipment is only going to sound/look as good as the weakest link. if you have a 20$ dvd and 10$ speakers, a 50$ cable isn't going to make your system sound better. also if you register monster cable online you get a lifetime warranty, and that's no ordinary warranty, you can cut your monster cable in half with scissors and they will replace it for you.

If you think monster cables are overpriced go price some audioquest cables.

They are good cables, I would use them myself.... Had they not decided to charge me $30+ for a set of RCA cables.

You know if you do the monster cert online, you get big disc. from monster.

Matt
RadioShack Manager

Matt '99 SVT Contour ---------------
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Kane:

That's why I hated working at Radioshack so much. I would tell the customers what would work best for them and their budget. For that reason, sometimes they would buy the cheaper one, or I would refer them to walmart or some other place. When I worked there (Q4 2000), their big push was trying to sell every customer that walked in the door a Verizon cell. It was supposed to be the first thing out of your mouth after showing them what they were looking for. No way would I try to sell someone a cell phone if they came in looking for some random connector or say a resistor.

Even though I only sold 1 phone while I worked there, the district manager wanted me to keep working there, but there was no way cause I was only 16 and Tandy doesn't give out security codes to anyone under 18. So they kept the other guy they didn't like, but was their only choice.

They still want us to offer cellphones to everyone. I have made a few cellphone sales off of a stupid $1.99 adapter, and that means good $$ for me (upwards of $40 in bonuses for a cellphone!) So it was well worth my time to say, "Hey, do you have a cellphone already?"

No disrespect to you, but if you worked there today and sold one phone over the course of however many weeks, you would be fired.

Now-a-days we are supposed to be pushing Sprint, Verizon and now even Sirius Radio. But like I said, thats what we are here for; to make money for ourselves, and the company. It is our job to get the customer that came in for a Coax cable out the door with more than what they came in for, thats the way we make money.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
D
OP Offline
D
Originally posted by Matt_H:

Wow, umm first off the article is total bs. where does all this marketing budget go?

He was obviously exaggerating some areas for effect, but his overall point is spot on.
Quote:

has anyone seen a monster ad on tv or heard one on the radio or in a magazine?

no, no and yes, absolutely.
Quote:

monsters reputation is all word of mouth.

A co-worker of mine went to Best Buy to get a new DLP rear projection TV. He had a nice power conditioner/UPS for his computer at home already. By the time they left, the salesperson had convinced his wife that his 300.00 UPS was drastically inferior and the Monster version would better protect his investment. If this is the word of mouth that you speak of, then shame on the salespeople for preying on utter ignorance.
Quote:

do you think people just go around telling their friends that monster is good because some salesman pushed it on them? what a joke.

No. They go around telling their friends Monster is good because it's what they spent a crapload of money on them and they have to justify themselves. The better sound they "hear" is purely in their own head. Multiple double blind tests have proven that even golden eared audiophools can't hear a difference between good solid cables. (There are some very high end cables that do EQ the sound enough to make them sound different, as said earlier but that is no longer hifi).
Quote:

monster cables are better manufactured than most other cables even at their price point.

Please provide examples. I have disected some cables 1/3 of the cost of Monster Cable that had better connections at the terminals and equal quality terminals. No doubt they are built well, but certainly not for their price point.
Quote:

they do sound better than any other cable at their price point, i don't care what anybody says, your equipment is only going to sound/look as good as the weakest link.

There have been an awful lot of people with respectable qualifications who have made similar claims than failed to back it up in a scientifically meaningful experiment. You, too, would fair miserably in such a test. If you speaker wire "sounds" like anything, they have failed their purpose.

Do you buy into other audio voodoo like high end power wire going from the outlet to the audio equipment, as well?
Quote:

if you have a 20$ dvd and 10$ speakers, a 50$ cable isn't going to make your system sound better.

and it wouldn't on a $50,000 system. Buy good quality wires with nice terminals and the proper guage speaker wire, and you will be just fine.
Quote:

also if you register monster cable online you get a lifetime warranty, and that's no ordinary warranty, you can cut your monster cable in half with scissors and they will replace it for you.

So, you are telling me that if I call Monster right now and tell them i am going to cut some monster cable in half with scissors, they will replace it? Seems incredibly stupid.
Quote:

If you think monster cables are overpriced go price some audioquest cables.

Or kimber or [insert other ridiculously overpriced interconnects]...Just because there are more cables marketed towards weak-minded consumers with too much money on their hands.

Quote:

RadioShack Manager

DING DING DING....I now understand where you are coming from. As someone who stands to make a profit off of their marketing expertise, you won't be able to look at this objectively. Besides, adding your title kills what little credibility you displayed in your thread.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard