Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Basically...this is how it goes. Friday.....my wonderful contour starts making this high pitched whine.....when i'm less than a mile from home....I thought...ok...I'm almost home...and i'll check the car in the morning to see what is up.

Checked the car over....I found nothing physically wrong. So I drive into down to grab some dinner with my brother....and well the tranny starts to slip. It gets progressively worse....and when I say progressive...I mean....it slips...and doesn't drive anymore. I was able to limp it to the ford dealership across town. This afternoon I get a call from them. The tranny is entirely screwed, and it's going to cost me $2200 bucks to replace it.

What's worse is that the car isn't that old....or even beat for that matter. I drove it grandma style.

It's a 1998 LX, 2.5...with...get this....80,000 miles.

I'm pissed.

1998 Contour LX, duratec, silver frost, tan leather
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
BUMMER! There can be a bad apple in the bunch & sounds like you got it. The tranny in these cars is not known for its superb reliability, but to lose the tranny after 80k of mild driving is just totally sad.

So now we know. Yearly tranny flush or at least a 4 quart drain & fill is a must.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
BUMMER! There can be a bad apple in the bunch & sounds like you got it. The tranny in these cars is not known for its superb reliability, but to lose the tranny after 80k of mild driving is just totally sad.

So now we know. Yearly tranny flush or at least a 4 quart drain & fill is a must.

I changed the tranny fluid via Ford at 50,000 miles.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
The tranny in these cars is not known for its superb reliability, but to lose the tranny after 80k of mild driving is just totally sad.

To the guy who lost his tranny sucks man hope it all works out. You should flush the trans fluid every 30k, not 50k by the way.

Secondly with that above comment that one guy JohnHoward I believe it is has 163,000 on the his ORIGINAL tranny, these things are pretty reliable if you ask me.

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
The tranny in these cars is not known for its superb reliability, but to lose the tranny after 80k of mild driving is just totally sad.

To the guy who lost his tranny sucks man hope it all works out. You should flush the trans fluid every 30k, not 50k by the way.

Secondly with that above comment that one guy JohnHoward I believe it is has 163,000 on the his ORIGINAL tranny, these things are pretty reliable if you ask me.

The last time I flushed it was at 50k. I bought the car with 40k on it. So I was keeping up on the maintenence.

H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
If it makes you feel any better, I lost my ATX at 55000 miles, only 10k miles after I bought the car. I paid about $2500 to have it replaced, and now I'm making sure I get routine flushes on top of my own regular maintenance.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

Read carefully (more slowly) and you'll see I didn't say they were absolute PsOS. They are just known to be less than bullet proof. Another clue for you would be the fact that I indicated he got a bad apple, which by inferrence would suggest that the reliability is generally better than what he has experienced.

If you need further clarification let me know, I'll use smaller words.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
these things are pretty reliable if you ask me.

WE DIDN'T

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by hetfield:
If it makes you feel any better, I lost my ATX at 55000 miles, only 10k miles after I bought the car. I paid about $2500 to have it replaced, and now I'm making sure I get routine flushes on top of my own regular maintenance.

I really hope it's going to be a brand new transmission....not a reman....or even something from an older year. It better be new....or better than new. I'm going to rip some ass at ford if it jacks up again.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Jonboy152:
Originally posted by hetfield:

I really hope it's going to be a brand new transmission....not a reman....or even something from an older year. It better be new....or better than new. I'm going to rip some ass at ford if it jacks up again.

It will be a remain, you can count on that. And almost the only way that you will be sure to make sure this does not happen again, is to do two things...

1) Maintaince, Maintaince, Maintaince!
2) Have the tranny rebuilt, unless you see that the company that is providing the tranny rebuilds it "properly".

Honestly, it sounds like you should do a great deal of reading in the tranny forums. I have a ton of info there on the CD4E and what to do that will keep this from happening again.

P.S. And by the way; from the way you describe it, it sounds like your pump went out and there is a gear replacment kit avaliable from Sonnax that solves this problem. The lack of fluid flow may have damaged some other items, so it would be best to rebuild or replace with a quality remain anyway. The prices for both, combined with labor, are about the same.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard