Print Thread
#1134426 12/19/04 01:05 AM
S
sfsvt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hey folks, I need help I'm a Cali boy. Wanna drive to Reno in my SVT- it's all I got- what are my options regarding the NO Chains? Can I use cables, please I need an experienced persons answer. Somebody -Please - Help!?

BLK 2K 'TOUR #1370 74k Mods: K&N Alpine Sound/Speakers more someday
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
You want to drive from San Fran to Reno and you're asking about chains? the only kind of chains I can think of at the moment are snow chains and I have no earthly idea why you would be worried about snow.....

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
SVT Manual says not to use tire chains!

So long as its not snowing you will make it over the pass with no chains. Check out the CalTrans website for road info and jot down the 1-800 number to call before you head back over the pass from Reno. Its updated hourly!

If your not lowered you shouldnt have a problem with tire chains. I bought some for our other car, a '98 Concorde LXi, at Les Schwab in Sacramneto. Has a 90 day return policy, so that if you don't use em you can return em. We bought the best they had to offer in Cables and they were easy to put on. We used em as we got stuck in the blizzard of Jan 1, '04. 9hr drive to Sacramento from Reno.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
i would think you could use cables. they sell them at Pep Boys. I actually have a set i bought for a car a long time ago but never used them. i bought them for my slammed accord (3.5 inches of slam). the cables definitely run much lower profile and will definitely be safer than chains. the only thing you can do is try it. buy some at walmart or somewhere you can return them if they wont work. try them at home first to see if they'll work alright.

ive been to Reno and i know it goes through forests and up pretty high but is there snow up there? and thick enough to need chains? if youre going soon there might not even be that much snow yet, if they get snow. (i have no clue )

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by svt4stv:

ive been to Reno and i know it goes through forests and up pretty high but is there snow up there? and thick enough to need chains? if youre going soon there might not even be that much snow yet, if they get snow. (i have no clue )

You have no clue! Highest point as you drive over the pass is roughly 7000 feet at Donner Summit just West of Truckee.

In the winter I-80 & Hwy50 to Tahoe are closed frequently.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
M
M
I have used cables on a Fiero and a Berreta gtu in heavy snow without any problems. Just make sure you try them on at home first. I saw a bunch of snow cables laying out in the middle of the road the other day on the way up to Big Bear. I guess people were trying them on for the first time in snow and they looked clueless. Also people had them on loose and they were slapping the crap out of their fenders.

98.5 E1
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
All depends on what you want to spend and how frequently you plan a going, I lived in the snow with my SVT and spent 400 bucks on these spike deals that clip on to an adapter plate mounted to the lug nuts, worked better than cables or chains, never got stuck not once, even worked awesome on my Mustang.

L8
Scott

S
sfsvt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Thanks for all the input folks. It's a mixed bag of tricks. Guess I'll be safer renting and driving, but I'll check the weather forcasts just in case.

BLK 2K 'TOUR #1370 74k Mods: K&N Alpine Sound/Speakers more someday
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If your gonna rent, check the deas at www.hotwire.com, best car-rental rates of any site!

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard