Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I have a computer with a Linksys Wireless B PCI card, and my friend and I want it to be able to connect to his network from my house to be able to be on a LAN. Problem is, im lucky to get a Wireless signal.... Is there a way I can modify my antenna to reach the WAP?

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
well you can take a look at this site and make your own
here
or here

but ive had wireless for a long time now and unless your gonna
spend alot of money and get profesinal wirless routers and cards like the big companys do your gonna get disconnects i often loose the signil in my house in the same room it gets annoying sometimes i only use wirless when i need to

i recomend buying some cat 5 cable
and running either under ground (dig a shallow trench)

or something like that yall are neighbors so it shoudn't take to much wire

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by johnwilliams474:
here
or here

spend alot of money and get profesinal wirless routers and cards like the big companys do your gonna get disconnects i often loose the signil in my house in the same room it gets annoying sometimes i only use wirless when i need to

If you can't maintain a wireless connection you need better equipment. I've got a Toshiba 802.11b router and a Hawking USB receiver/antenna and haven't dropped my household network in a year. I can also access several of my neighbors' networks too (though they're smart enough to keep them locked down so I can't get on they networks they show up with good signal strength).

You can build your own high-gain antenna or buy one to extend the range of your network. Either one will be easier and cheape than trying to run Cat5 cable to a neighbor...

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Pigeon:

If you can't maintain a wireless connection you need better equipment........and haven't dropped my household network in a year.

You can build your own high-gain antenna or buy one to extend the range of your network. Either one will be easier and cheape than trying to run Cat5 cable to a neighbor...

Scott

agreed and it is very easy.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
We are trying to get a network going in this dorm (I settled on using routers as APs out in the hallways using PoE so we didn't have to tap into anything) but the whole place has metal beams and stuff, so signal sucks.

I can't remember their name, but a friend found these small APs (the size of a plug in transfomer, so not big at all) that their whole purpose is to repeat the signal, probly a search on Google would be helpful?

EDIT: I just asked my friend, he says Linksys made them.

Last edited by Kane; 12/19/04 03:12 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by acrdklr:

If you can't maintain a wireless connection you need better equipment........and haven't dropped my household network in a year.

Scott

agreed and it is very easy.

I'd probaly need a repeater, the house im connecting to is 1 down, and across street

Im going to try and modify my antenna

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Well, I doubt those ones I mentioned will work in your case...

I'd say the yagi (I didn't check out the link, but I'm assuming that's what they show plans for) antennas would work best...

I aquired a DirecTV dish from helping a guy move... we put a yagi on it just to see if we could, it worked but it's way too akward for our use. I can just see the 1st sergeant coming in for a room inspection and seeing some ghetto dish antenna pointed inside the building (along with my wireless router, bridge, and nic with external 12" car antenna...). Heh, my friend has 5 wireless routers in his room, one of my wireless nics, plus a 1000' box of cat5 in there. Ok, I admit it, we're geeks

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L

NEED AN SVT REAR BUMPER!!! pm me
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by johnwilliams474:
here
or here

If you can't maintain a wireless connection you need better equipment. I've got a Toshiba 802.11b router and a Hawking USB receiver/antenna and haven't dropped my household network in a year. I can also access several of my neighbors' networks too (though they're smart enough to keep them locked down so I can't get on they networks they show up with good signal strength).

Scott

I am moving to a place that only has a wireless network in place. The router is in the other end of the apartment so I bought a Hawking hi-gain USB antenna for my P.C. Do you have good luck with it?

David AIM: DaveL225 2002 CD Silver Focus SVT 2565/4788
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by ContourKev:
I have a computer with a Linksys Wireless B PCI card, and my friend and I want it to be able to connect to his network from my house to be able to be on a LAN. Problem is, im lucky to get a Wireless signal.... Is there a way I can modify my antenna to reach the WAP?

Scrap the wireless PCI card ... they are generally not very good at all. Get an external Wireless card that works off CAT5 cable, and not USB. You can then run a nice long CAT cable to position your wireless card.
That's the simplest solution .. but it may not work.

How far apart are your places ? Anything greater than 100' is going to have problems with home user hardware. Don't forget dense materials, such as stone, will hammer the signal, and overhead power lines will play havoc too.

Your best bet for a solid signal, is to get two VPN wireless firewalls. Then pull the regular antenna's and attach either higher gain antenna's if you are close enough, or directional antennas. If directional, you must point and adjust these, just like a satellite dish. This option will involve feeding the cable from inside to the outside of your house. It's not something you want to do if you will only use it for a short time.

Last edited by Christian; 12/20/04 02:38 AM.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard