Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1128705 12/14/04 04:44 AM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Man, those MEPS trips were the worst. But the WORST week is in-processing. I hated that week with a passion. Finally the big guy was like "it's time to meet your DI's and start your training" and we were like "w00t!"

I remember they once told us that we had a seven mile run and we were all bummed and pacing ourselves and then they stopped us at three miles and gave us our times. I was pissed because I could have run the three miles faster than I did.

I still miss it. I wish I could have finished.

#1128706 12/14/04 07:41 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Would any of you prior recruitees, suggest a married (boy) man of the age of 25, with 2 little girls under 3 years of age to join one of the US military forces? I know my wife would kill me If I did join. I've thought about it before, took the ASVAB in high school and even went to a recruiter. Though I won't say which branch the recruiter was representing...

I'd be joining under the assumption that I'd be a better (mature) individual coming out of the whole "process", and hopefully with a better career then I could get outside the military institution....

Thanks in advance, my cousin is currently serving in Iraq as a Marine. Semper Fi, do or Die!

His quarters/barracks was attacked (If I remember, like 3/4 weeks ago) He lost 3 men in his group. I think he's been there about 4/5 months now. We just sent him out a 35lb package including his Christmas gifts.

-Black '96 GL 160k -Car #30953
#1128707 12/14/04 11:51 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
The marines on the ships say USMC stands for Uncle Sam�s Misguided Children.
Some ships have marines stationed onboard for security. The overseas ports have a lot of tropical beaches and bars. The best ship to be on is a tender ship or repair ship. The Marines and the Navy divers liked exercise more than anyone. It could be 100 degrees in the dessert and some of the marines would be running in the sunlight & heat. The Navy divers exercised early in the morning before most people had got up out of bed.

The navy had all kinds of initiations. There was an initiation for going on a ship the first day, making rank and crossing the equator. One person I know made chief petty officer and he came to general quarters the next day with red eyes. From what he said the initiation was really wild.

After you get out of basic training, you can relax and not use the word sir so much. Also you don't have to salute as much after basic training. The way I got through basic training was I just did what everyone else did. It�s best just to kind of blend in with the crowd in basic training.

Some people just aren't cut out to be in the military. There are people that don't make it through the first day of basic training. Basic training was easy for me. I gained 20 pounds from the good food. Our living conditions on a ship were 10 times worse than basic training but the beaches and things were very nice. I helped to take care of a few of the people who went nuts from the bad living conditions. When living conditions are bad morale is low and more people get into fights and arguments.

Last edited by Con_touring; 12/14/04 12:20 PM.
#1128708 12/14/04 01:16 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
IMO, no. The military is not hte place for families, especially one that is not used to that lifestyle....
Originally posted by BenS:
Would any of you prior recruitees, suggest a married (boy) man of the age of 25, with 2 little girls under 3 years of age to join one of the US military forces? I know my wife would kill me If I did join. I've thought about it before, took the ASVAB in high school and even went to a recruiter. Though I won't say which branch the recruiter was representing...

I'd be joining under the assumption that I'd be a better (mature) individual coming out of the whole "process", and hopefully with a better career then I could get outside the military institution....

Thanks in advance, my cousin is currently serving in Iraq as a Marine. Semper Fi, do or Die!

His quarters/barracks was attacked (If I remember, like 3/4 weeks ago) He lost 3 men in his group. I think he's been there about 4/5 months now. We just sent him out a 35lb package including his Christmas gifts.

Ryan Trollin!
#1128709 12/14/04 11:05 PM
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
MEPS.... holy balls... more repative paper work than... anything so far. The physical was tough/strict intimidating.. I wasnt sure if I was gonna make it... the doctor noted I had many moles on my back lol. im like wtf they are moles. but yeah... I scored a 70 on the test thing and am now sworn in and I leave for boot January 25th. Oh odds are I will make Private 1st Class right away too because I helped recruit 2 guys from my town. thats an extra 150 a month right there.. that would also put me roughly 6 months ahead of a regular private... but. We'll see I guess.. maybe one of them will be a little biznatch and drop out. who knows.

Oh one question though... how much communication between fellow recruits is there in boot camo? Are there times when it is possible to talk with each other a little bit? I would assume so.. just wondering.

if anyone was wondering... my MOS is infantry.

"me grunt..pull trigger!" - my kick ass recruiter (who turned out to be very honest) OH and he drives a boxter and drives it like a porsche is meant to.

ok long post... time to watch Porkys then sleep.

USMC training begins on the 25th of Jan wish me luck.
#1128710 12/15/04 06:46 PM
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Flemloid - -:
MEPS.... holy balls... more repative paper work than... anything so far. The physical was tough/strict intimidating..

Yeah, MEPS was a pain. Nothing like signing your life away 100 times. Just wait, once ya get to MCRD you have like 48hrs of straight paperwork, no sleep, just sign, sign, sign. (Memorize your SSN, if you haven't already!) Also, make sure you know who your benefits will go to, in case something happens. You'll need that for paperwork at MCRD, too.

Oh one question though... how much communication between fellow recruits is there in boot camo? Are there times when it is possible to talk with each other a little bit? I would assume so.. just wondering.

Depends, really. At first, hardly any. You'll get some time to write letters, polish your boots, etc, and talking is allowed, but just keep is quiet, so the DI's don't hear it in the duty hut. The communication is more about motivation amongst each other than anything else. You'll be screaming your company and platoon number so much at people, it'll be embeded in your head forever. (Golf 2029 here, and that was 7 or 8 yrs ago for me.)

First to the fight! Ooh rah.

You'll definately have to keep in touch once you graduate, don't forget about us state-side brothers!

E1

1999 Cougar - Supercharged 3L 1992 Talon TSi - AWD Turbo 1992 Eclipse GSX - AWD Turbo
#1128711 12/15/04 11:39 PM
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T

You're going to be an 0311 - Ground pounding, dirt eating machine!

9971BV for me

my kick ass recruiter (who turned out to be very honest)

Er, that's almost an oxymoron (recruiter and honest in the same breath)

Originally posted by EternalOne:
MEPS.... holy balls... more repative paper work than... anything so far. The physical was tough/strict intimidating..

Yeah, MEPS was a pain. Nothing like signing your life away 100 times. Just wait, once ya get to MCRD you have like 48hrs of straight paperwork, no sleep, just sign, sign, sign. (Memorize your SSN, if you haven't already!) Also, make sure you know who your benefits will go to, in case something happens. You'll need that for paperwork at MCRD, too.

Depends, really. At first, hardly any. You'll get some time to write letters, polish your boots, etc, and talking is allowed, but just keep is quiet, so the DI's don't hear it in the duty hut. The communication is more about motivation amongst each other than anything else. You'll be screaming your company and platoon number so much at people, it'll be embeded in your head forever. (Golf 2029 here, and that was 7 or 8 yrs ago for me.)

Mike 3119 (1986)

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
#1128712 12/16/04 08:50 AM
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
like I said trapps "turns out he's honest" I didnt think I could trust someone whos job is to tell me what I wanna hear. But so far everything he is saying checks out. I talked to a few marines who are back for thier 4 year deal and they said stuff that they did exactly as the recruiter said they would for me... the good things anyways. Like going to ports and havin fun with girls.

#1128713 12/17/04 02:11 AM
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
is there anyone who regrets being a Marine?

#1128714 12/17/04 03:47 AM
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
None that I've ever met. That includes some family members and thier friends; guys who served in WWII, Korea and 'Nam. I also know quite a few who did their service a during a time of peace .

I have no regrets. I do sometimes wounder how I could have been a better Marine. For me it would have been a longer commitment, college and then a commision; one goal (of many) I set for myself was to be a Mustang. It was never to be. However, if you stick to the system, stay motivated and true to yourself you will succeecd!

The people you run into who didn't have a positive experience typically didn't make it through boot-camp. If they do make it to the FMF (Fleet Marine Force) and active duty, they will be a small percentage of the whole group. They are not Gung Ho indidviduals, they are slackers and whiners and probably shouldn't have jumped into the ring to begin with. The fact that they made it through boot camp says something about them that is good and tough. What they do with that charachter is up to them.

I hate to throw out another cliche, but it fits and it all too well when it comes to being a United States Marine - YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!

January 1987:

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard