Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by btrautman:
Bill,

Offhand I don't know what will fit from other years. If you were a diy type person I would suggest trying the rebuild yourself. With buying from Phoenix you get a dyno tested unit with a new torque converter. If the old atx is cracked then they won't accept it as a core so your price goes up about another 300 dollars or so. Still you get a dyno tested rebuilt unit with new tc.

The crack that I had in my tranny was I due to I think high fluid pressures from worn valve body that created high internal pressures which also cracked my direct clutch housing....

If you plan on keeping the car for awhile, I really would suggest the rebuilt unit from Phoenix. I have two Contour's myself both 95's and I am planning to rebuild the other atx next year......that is if I can get FastCourgar to sell me back the tools!!!

Regards,
Bob

Bob - I agree and understand everything you have said; only problem is that this is not my Contour. I assisted the co-worker & mother of the young daughter in her purchase of the Contour. I am a DIY'er, big time. My daily driver (100 miles a day) is a 1986 GTI that I bought new. Has over 337k miles on her and still get's over 32 mpg on the original engine. My 1979 GMC VanDura has 521k miles on the orig TH-350 automatic transmission. I use to campaign Opels in SCCA Showroom Stock. All of this while doing my own maint/repair and mods. I just don't want to rebuild someone else's when she needs to be back on the road ASAP. I can see where this would take me months!!!
I will check on the Phoenix solution. thanks - Bill

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by unisys12:
Originally posted by contour_r_us:
Do you know if she can go with a later model, say from a 2.0 auto transaxle 1999 or 2000 model?

Any Zetec mated CD4E will work. Even one dating as far back as `93, from a Mazda. Thing is, I wouldn't suggest it. That would be like asking for trouble.

I would suggest going with the later models, as you suggested above, but check closely the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Reason being; In the middle of the build, that year, they switched from a mechanial instrument cluster (for the speedo & tach) to an electric. If your friends car currently has a mechanical, you might want to stay within the configuration, since you would have to change out the sensor and the instrument cluster.

There's several threads on this topic floating around here, so a search my prove fruitful here.

Phillip, do you recall what year the change over to VSS was made? I definately agree with you -- later years. I was under the impression that her 95' used a mechanical cabled speedo, but I could be wrong. I'll check my manuals and report back. At least it isn't the dreaded Ford AXODE from the Taurus; been there done that ;-(
OK, I got lazy on everyone....saw Bob's wonderful thread on his adventure with the atx rebuild, and stopped short of doing my homework (search FAQ and related threads).
I appreciate everyones immediate assist, to good!!!
thanks again - Bill

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by unisys12:
Do you know if she can go with a later model, say from a 2.0 auto transaxle 1999 or 2000 model?

Any Zetec mated CD4E will work. Even one dating as far back as `93, from a Mazda. Thing is, I wouldn't suggest it. That would be like asking for trouble.

I would suggest going with the later models, as you suggested above, but check closely the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Reason being; In the middle of the build, that year, they switched from a mechanial instrument cluster (for the speedo & tach) to an electric. If your friends car currently has a mechanical, you might want to stay within the configuration, since you would have to change out the sensor and the instrument cluster.

There's several threads on this topic floating around here, so a search my prove fruitful here.

Phillip, do you recall what year the change over to VSS was made? I definately agree with you -- later years. I was under the impression that her 95' used a mechanical cabled speedo, but I could be wrong. I'll check my manuals and report back. At least it isn't the dreaded Ford AXODE from the Taurus; been there done that ;-(
OK, I got lazy on everyone....saw Bob's wonderful thread on his adventure with the atx rebuild, and stopped short of doing my homework (search FAQ and related threads).
I appreciate everyones immediate assist, to good!!!
thanks again - Bill

sorry about that... It was the 95 model year.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Phillip, found a 98' atx local, with 51k miles. Wants $500, probably can get it for $450. Get this - now the mom/co-worker tells me she isn't going to put anymore $$ into her daughters 'tour. This may change shortly. Who knows, I may end up buying it or selling it for her ;-)
The unit from Phoneix Hard Parts looks excellent; but then again, it's not my 'tour. Thanks again -- Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard