Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
I bought my car used ~15000 miles ago and have never cleaned it. It is absolutely filthy and I question when the previous owner cleaned it... yech...

I just ordered the cleaning kit from KKR, but can I just hose this thing off to let my car breath for 2 days?

Or, more importantly, what is the cleaning procedure when the kit arrives and how much drying time is involved?

=========== 1998 Black SVT KKM Tru-Rev Intake / KVR Brakes / Knauberized
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
It's the same filter element as a K&N and you can use the cleaning agents and oil from them. Might be cheaper than KKM too.

A mild detergent can be used in a pinch, but care should be taken to fully rinse it out. Rinsing detergent out of a filter is similar to getting soap out of a sponge; it�s not that easy to do. Always make sure the filter is completely dry before re-oiling.

Last edited by todras; 11/29/04 04:24 PM.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
the kit should have the necessary directions on it, so follow those directions.
One thing to note when oiling, put less than you think is necessary and then go back afterward and apply more if need be. It's really easy to over-oil, and that gets messy.
Try to note your mileage and then clean the filter roughly every 10,000 miles afterward.
good luck

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
How long does the whole process take?

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by I Heart SVT:
How long does the whole process take?

About a year. Let it dry over night to make sure it's dry before oiling.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Timing:

Take into account of the following:
1. Dismantle filter (1 minute)-more for some of us, whom have tubes and whatnots.
2. Use cleaning agent and run filter through water to take out all the dirt. (2min)
3. Dry-let it sit for a while. I usually run a hair dryer through it (do this thoroughly if you don't let it sit over night). (I usually dry it for 30 mins)
5. Oil (1 min)
6. Reinstall (1min)

so approx. 35mins. But do be aware, that most suggest to keep it overnight to dry. Make sure it's thoroughly dry before putting oil on and reinstalling it.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
Thanks for the info all!

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Additional notes:

After you spray on the cleaning agent BACKflush it with water or you'll be forcing the dirt through the filter. Use low pressure so you don't damage the element.

My cleaning kit instructions say to not use a hair dryer since it can shrink the filter element. Let it dry naturally.

WHile you have the filter off do a MAF cleaning. If it is that dirty you can be sure the little MAF wires are coated with things too. Cleaning it will make it run better. Here's how: MAF Cleaning

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
OOH man I cant wait for my CTA intake Dont have to replace my filter again, clean it every 10K miles... SOO nice.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard