Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Mohaj Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I was wondering if anyone has custom built a true cold air intake similar to the Volant for a CSVT?

I was also wondering if anyone has experince with the Kurtz Intake System, is there any bais as far as it drawing air from the cold air intake vs. the engine bay (I saw it has an adapter to fit on to the cold air intake pipe on the CSVT)

and question 3,

Is there any advantage to having that straight aluminum intake pipe installed vs. that plastic black accordion style pipe that is on there stock. With my limited understanding of it, I thought aluminum was a good conductor of heat, bad for keeping air cool... so is my thought process on this wrong? Is this a good thing to buy and install?

I currently have the conical K&N drop in filter in the stock intake housing... just looking to see what would be most efficient. I am going to do basic mods to the car, ie; exhaust, intake, spark plug wires, blah, blah, blah...

input is greatly appreciated, thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
PM Grand Master kahn....he makes cold air for the cougars and contours.

the intake pipe will make air flow better, but it may heat up a little more, because it absorbs more heat than the rubber does....hence why people reconmend using rubbermaid trash cans as heat shilds instead of the aluminum heat shields that come with many kits.

Right now i have, the KKM MAF adapter, with Green Filter equivilent of the Ru-3530 K&N, and the aluminum intake pipe and the heat shiled for the filter.

Everything is great but im going to try GMK true cold airsystem.

I have no experience with the other Kurtz kits so i cannot give any info on them, i bought my MAf used...I do know that with mods some peoples KKm filters have impoded.

everything i stated can be found in search or on NECO's (www.fastcougar.com) website in there FAQ's.

Hopefully the search Nazi's take it easy on you as this is a very wide spread topic.

Lupe

Originally posted by Mohaj:
I was wondering if anyone has custom built a true cold air intake similar to the Volant for a CSVT?

I was also wondering if anyone has experince with the Kurtz Intake System, is there any bais as far as it drawing air from the cold air intake vs. the engine bay (I saw it has an adapter to fit on to the cold air intake pipe on the CSVT)

and question 3,

Is there any advantage to having that straight aluminum intake pipe installed vs. that plastic black accordion style pipe that is on there stock. With my limited understanding of it, I thought aluminum was a good conductor of heat, bad for keeping air cool... so is my thought process on this wrong? Is this a good thing to buy and install?

I currently have the conical K&N drop in filter in the stock intake housing... just looking to see what would be most efficient. I am going to do basic mods to the car, ie; exhaust, intake, spark plug wires, blah, blah, blah...

input is greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 11/24/04 01:34 AM.

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
In a nutshell....
The KKM kit is an overpriced version of the homade intake(MAF adapter, K&N RU-3530, heatshield) minus the heatshield.

As mentioned above, contact GMK on Neco for a cold air kit.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Jason43:
In a nutshell....
The KKM kit is an overpriced version of the homade intake(MAF adapter, K&N RU-3530, heatshield) minus the heatshield.

I have it..I love it totall cost was $75

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Originally posted by Jason43:
In a nutshell....

It can be done for under $65....

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

It can be done for under $65....

the K&N ru3530 lookes wicked small, like when I first got it, I was expecting it to be a bit bigger ya know, hmm anyone ever try different sizes..likr bigger K&N filter..maybe?

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
It's a full 7"...you must be abnormally large...

The RU3530 fits within the range of CFM flow our particular application requires, ideally. There are also others that meet the criteria, so it's not like it's the only option, just a popular (cheap and free shipping...)choice. There is no need to go above the CFM requirements (aka larger filter), and in extreme cases can help you lose power.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
M
Mohaj Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I ultimately would like to build a Volant style cold air intake for the car, I have a friend who welds, so all I really need to do is figure out the best angle of attack for building the rest. But realistically this won't happen for a few more years. I plan on hanging on to this car and having some fun with it, currently saving up for a Volvo V50 or something along those lines.

So has anyone installed one of these intakes on a CSVT that GMK builds? Difficult? What do you do with the pre-exsisting cold air intake parts in the wheel well?

Should I change my screenname to ChrisSVT???

G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Mohaj:

Should I change my screenname to ChrisSVT???

copy-cat!!!

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I have used the KKM model TR-18D98-SV intake. The S & B filter is stout (I'd be very surprised if they implode), but the KKM design pulls-in way too much hot air, especially in the summer in Las Vegas. I am now having a couple of custom cold air boxes made for a K & N model RE-0950 filter (one for my SVT and one for my SE/SVT hybrid). The cold air box is being made by a local company (360 Air Intakez) out of TIG welded aluminum that is ceramic coated (Jet-Hot knock-off) to insulate it from the under hood heat. I just canâ??t bring myself to put a plastic garbage can under my hood. The cost for the air box is $40 and the owner is going to help me fit a hose from the lower front grille to the air box so I get more cold air (thatâ??s a relative term in Las Vegas) into the engine on hot (over 120 degree) summer days. I am also going to experiment with an Accel Kool Blue â??PowerStackâ? type filter in the same air box to see if there is anything to be gained from this type of filter.

There is one thing that KKM makes that I really like; itâ??s there MAF adapter. All of the other MAF adapters that I have found are for an 85mm (or 3-3/8â?) ID filter, the KKM measures 92mm (or 3-5/8â?) OD and it works perfectly with a 3-1/2â? ID filter (thus the K & N model RE-0950). By the way the inside diameter of the KKM MAF adapter is 85mm which matches perfectly with the inside diameter of a Pro-Flow 75mm MAF meter.

I can only speak for my car in my climate; nonetheless, Iâ??m sure that the K & N RU-3530 / plastic garbage can crowd are going to slam me now. I can tell you that so far everything I have done has been an improvement over the stock air box and with my upcoming modifications more airflow can only help. Those modifications include a BAT inlet pipe, an optimized (by Buckshot Motorsports) SVT 60mm throttle body, a true "dual-honed" & port-matched (by Extrude Hone) upper intake manifold, an optimized (by Buckshot Motorsports) â??returnlessâ? lower intake manifold, MSDS headers and an optimized (by Street Rod Specialties) MSDS Y-Pipe as well as a Bosal S/S cat-back exhaust system.

Thatâ??s my $0.02 worth.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard