Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I had a great idea for a slick HLCD installation, but have no pic to show what I mean, so I guess I will try and explain it. Where the door meets the dash, up by the windshield, is a vent for the side window defrost. Don't those vents look kind of familiar? Like an HLCD? Yeah, I thought so too, and if you look at the back of them (i.e. behind the paneling), there is room for the wiring and installation of them.... sure it might take some custom fiberglass to make them the same size as the plastic piece that covers the vent inside, but they could be modified. And you would lose the side window defrost, but hey, I think it would be a damn slick install, what do you think? If this has already been done, or thought of, which I don't know if it has, just ignore me, I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and had a 2 hour drive to get home..

1998 Contour GL 2.0L Zetec Stock as hell for the moment....
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
unfortunately, that's much too small of an area for a HLCD to function properly in a car. the only two places i've ever seen them used effectively is at the bottom of the dash, or flushed into the top in lieu of defroster vents (but even then, bouncing them off the glass isn't a good for imaging).

but hey, it is an original idea!

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Maybe if some of us new what HLCD meant.....

Steven. L. Benthal Jr. 98 Mystique: Meshed Grille & Pioneer Sound System
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
ya i duunno what HLCD is either...hmmm High Level Compact Disc ? lol or maybe High Location Color Display? ummmm High Liquid Crystal Display?

but how would u see it if its crammed in that hole?

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
a hlcd is a horn loaded compression driver. like what is used in many PA setups. their advantage is that they play quite low and have retardedly good sensitivity. their downside is, in a car, they require a horn (the flared "port" that the compression driver attaches to) to be fairly wide(usually 12-24" depending on design), and the compression driver itself is usually the size of a baseball or softball.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
a hlcd is a horn loaded compression driver. like what is used in many PA setups. their advantage is that they play quite low and have retardedly good sensitivity. their downside is, in a car, they require a horn (the flared "port" that the compression driver attaches to) to be fairly wide(usually 12-24" depending on design), and the compression driver itself is usually the size of a baseball or softball.

um ok in laymens terms what the hell is it..and what does it do?

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
sounds really good, and gets loud with less wattage.

S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
do it!

im gonna get some image dynamic hlcd's maybe

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
theres a tour on cardomain that has horns mounted under the steering wheel and the glovebox

98 contour svt #6473 of 6535
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
ya no idea....use ur steering wheel horn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard