Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I have a 99 taurus engin (late modle 6/99) And I am going to be turbo charging. Is it recomended that I run with the heads from the taurus or the heads from the contour? Keep in mind I will be runing 14+ psi. Now I am asking because I want the compression to stay low to acomidate the turbo, but I remember that the contour heads would raise the compression to 11.25. So, do I leave it alone or do I do a head swap? Or do I go out and get a 2000+ Taurus or escape engin? Also, one more question. By replacing the piston rings with the clevite ones, will that solve their problem?

Thank you in advance
~Mike

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by DeltarMN:
I have a 99 taurus engin (late modle 6/99) And I am going to be turbo charging. Is it recomended that I run with the heads from the taurus or the heads from the contour? Keep in mind I will be runing 14+ psi. Now I am asking because I want the compression to stay low to acomidate the turbo, but I remember that the contour heads would raise the compression to 11.25. So, do I leave it alone or do I do a head swap? Or do I go out and get a 2000+ Taurus or escape engin? Also, one more question. By replacing the piston rings with the clevite ones, will that solve their problem? With turbo are you planning on running with 14 psi? I hope custom pistons are a must for your project.

Thank you in advance
~Mike

all i can say is wow! Might want to read up on this stuff. You should at least have some basic knowledge before undertaking a project like this. Adding the contour heads will bump up the compression like you said and will cause problems with high amounts of boost. I wouldnt even run any boost with that compression honestly. I would keep the 3.0L heads since they have the bigger valves as well. Next, clevite 77 makes bearings, not pistons rings. If you do decide to go wtih a set of custom pistons, rings will more than likely be supplied, or you can get some from Sealed Power.

PS. Forced induction questions belong in the forced induction branch.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
14+ psi requres forged rods and pistons. if you dont do that your engine wont last at all

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
14+ psi requres forged rods and pistons. if you dont do that your engine wont last at all

well, at a bare mininum it requires pistons. Nobody has tested the limits of the rods yet.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Okay, thats what I thought. Was not sure what the difrence in flow was. And I've got the forged and pistons covered. I blame my bad memory for my comment on the piston rings.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
what about your tranny?

im not familiar with the taurus atx, but i dont see it holding up long (if at all) against a 3L running 14+ psi!

you might think about fitting in a mtx75 from a contour. it would be alot fo work, and probably costly (custom axles, mounts, etc) but it would hold up far better than teha tx (if you get a LSD) and be more fun, and faster!

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Thats my plan.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S

B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
what about your tranny?

im not familiar with the taurus atx, but i dont see it holding up long (if at all) against a 3L running 14+ psi!

you might think about fitting in a mtx75 from a contour. it would be alot fo work, and probably costly (custom axles, mounts, etc) but it would hold up far better than teha tx (if you get a LSD) and be more fun, and faster!

Not that the MTX-75 would last any longer at all...

MTX-75 <----- WEAK!

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by bnoon:
Not that the MTX-75 would last any longer at all...

MTX-75 <----- WEAK!

It's stronger then HD axles...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard