Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
This is not the first instance of fans throwing things at atheletes during a professional sporting event. It definitely escalated when Artest ran into the stands.

Artest was shoved/punched by Ben Wallace, if he wanted to fight he should've done it there. So, Artest is "cool and calm" there, jumps on the scorers table and pulls on a pair of headphones, gets hit in the face by a plastic cup (and despite what the commentators say about it being a cup, possibly bottle, it's clearly plastic - there's a reason they don't serve the beer by bottle.) he runs out after some 5'5" dork in the stands? What happened to being calm.

The ESPN commentators are really reaching: "If you were in Times square and someone throws a drink at you, what would you do?" Well, I would probably let the POLICE who happen to be present arrest the idiot. Then they go on to say that the players are at a disadvantage because they have to run uphill over chairs to reach the fans.

The fans were definitely in the wrong, but the beginning wasn't something unheard of, and it could have ended there instead of becoming front page news. Jackson's the one that was nuts. He was itching to go on the court and ran into the stands and clocked that one guy next two the fan Artest put a hold on. At that point you can say those fans in the vicinity are acting in self defence as well.

The media is having a field day with this, because they don't have high regard for Detroit to begin with. But watching the extra ESPN coverage, they're anti-Detroit slant is really clear. Given the same set of events this could've happened in any major sporting city. Unfortunately items have been thrown by fans before. It just happens to be the first time multiple basketball players got into a melee with the fans in the stands.

There's a lot of blame to go, ALL AROUND - fans, players, security, etc. And the fan/player/arena/security dynamic will definitely change because of this. But it's sad to watch Steven A Smith, rip on all Detroit fans "for the few bad apples, fair or not you all have to take the blame", while trying to expunge his hometown Philly of the worse fans title.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Artest should get his due for the flagrant foul (I don't know league protocol for that). Everything after that would seem to be a natural reaction to what was done to him. It's one thing to go into the stands for being heckled, and another to go up there because you're having things thrown at you. DPD should review all the tape and arrest anyone they can find for assault for throwing things (beer, pop, chairs, popcorn, etc.) at the players.

The idiots here are the fans. The players were only responding the same way anyone else would.

The best part was JON decking that dude who came onto the court after Artest. That's going to leave a mark, hopefully it will do some brain damage as well.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Davo:
Artest should get his due for the flagrant foul (I don't know league protocol for that). Everything after that would seem to be a natural reaction to what was done to him. It's one thing to go into the stands for being heckled, and another to go up there because you're having things thrown at you. DPD should review all the tape and arrest anyone they can find for assault for throwing things (beer, pop, chairs, popcorn, etc.) at the players.

The idiots here are the fans. The players were only responding the same way anyone else would.

The best part was JON decking that dude who came onto the court after Artest. That's going to leave a mark, hopefully it will do some brain damage as well.

100% Amen! Speak it brother.

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I got one for ya!

[image]http://espni.starwave.com/media/apphoto/DTP10711200433.jpeg[/image]

It's not what it looks like Officer!

Sorry picture won't work.
ESPN

Last edited by RT and his SE; 11/20/04 06:43 AM.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by ESC:
But it's sad to watch Steven A Smith, rip on all Detroit fans "for the few bad apples, fair or not you all have to take the blame", while trying to expunge his hometown Philly of the worse fans title.

Like I said above, they deserve it. The best way to 'punish' the idiots at that game today is to bring the whole city down with them. I suppose it's unfortunate, but due justice.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Rusty, is that you just to the right of the guy's elbow in the forefront?

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
I got one for ya!

[image]http://espni.starwave.com/media/apphoto/DTP10711200433.jpeg[/image]

It's not what it looks like Officer!

Sorry picture won't work.
ESPN

Yup, got a couple suspects right there. Clear as day.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Davo:
Rusty, is that you just to the right of the guy's elbow in the forefront?

Yep I'm the black girl next to my buddy in the red sweat shirt. My life has changed a lot since the last Iowa get together!

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
lmfao! o'neal put one dude flat on his back. cerebral palsy style. a couple guys took it to the grill from artest too.

this was a sad situation but there's a lot of people in the wrong both fans and players.

good to see a couple fans got what they deserved for getting on the court and trying to fight.

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Originally posted by ESC:
The ESPN commentators are really reaching: "If you were in Times square and someone throws a drink at you, what would you do?" Well, I would probably let the POLICE who happen to be present arrest the idiot. Then they go on to say that the players are at a disadvantage because they have to run uphill over chairs to reach the fans.

ESPN is so biased towards the players, I guese if there is a backlash against the NBA if effects them too so of course they will be for the players.

They just said that any fan that ran on the court deserved what they got! I hope the next time Jack Nickolson or Spike Lee are on the court JON punches them out too!

98.5 Blk CSVT #6479 --------------------
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard