Next Thread
Print Thread
#1105437 11/14/04 05:39 AM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I am wondering what all I need to change my final drive in my spare 00 tranny from zetec final drive to duratec final drive. I have found the part number foer the 4.06 ring gear, but does that include the output shaft? Maybe someone that changed their fd to the zetec one can tell me what all they had to change? Please help need to know by Tuesday.

Thanks,
Matt

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ness1216:
I am wondering what all I need to change my final drive in my spare 00 tranny from zetec final drive to duratec final drive. I have found the part number foer the 4.06 ring gear, but does that include the output shaft? Maybe someone that changed their fd to the zetec one can tell me what all they had to change? Please help need to know by Tuesday.

Thanks,
Matt

Why???

Any of us who switch to a 3 liter or are putting good power down switch to the zetec final drive for the top end.

Why would you want to go reverse of that????

besides, not sure how the 4.06 dive would be good for the zetec..might take it out of the power curve.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Torque multiplication.

I am at 136whp/140wtq, have intake cam, header, exhaust, intake etc. So not worried about staying out of powerband.
My car is aweomse above 40mph or so but below that, since I have to rev out first gear it takes a second for it to get going until 4k rpms.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I did not know that a final drive could multiply torque?

I thought only a torque coverter did that....

the 4.06 final drive would cause you to have an overall closer gear ratio, which would make you go through the reves faster, seeming like your going fast, but your really toping out all your gears at a lower overall speed.

lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
I guess I haven't seen many Zetec dyno graphs, so you'd have to take into consideration where your power drops off. Seems like if your powerband was more towards midrange, the 4.06 would be the way to go. If you are still making power to redline, then you may keep the zetec FD.
I think this is a big reason why most of the Camaro/TransAm/Vette guys go to a 4:10 gearing.

Where's Greg with his more technical approach?

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Where's Greg with his more technical approach?

Mark

seriously..we could use his sarcastic, knowledge

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ness1216:
Torque multiplication.

I am at 136whp/140wtq, have intake cam, header, exhaust, intake etc. So not worried about staying out of powerband.
My car is aweomse above 40mph or so but below that, since I have to rev out first gear it takes a second for it to get going until 4k rpms.

You are on the right track. Do expect a decrease in fuel economy though.

Generally speaking when the engine is modified to gain more high RPM power, there is a loss in low RPM power, and the added torque multiplication of lower final drive gears help to compensate. Lower gears also tend to get you into the usable RPM range quicker.

The subject is more complex than this quick explanation, but it sounds like you are already knowledgable about most of it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard