Next Thread
Print Thread
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
throttle position sensor:

Biggest headache in my life (3hrs) and after $35 worth of tool (vicegrips of like 3 kinds) and wrench liquid and hands pain and... breaking the actual plastic of old (in place) position sensor so i have room to swivel the vice-grip... i finnaly could get out the damn screws and replace them from Lowes one's 8mm .08 thread and 30mm lenght.

Really exhausting project that years of heat weld the damn things onto the throttle body and it shouldn't have taken more than 20 min to replace under normal screw conditions.

Anyhow... i wanted to share the experience with those wanting to adventure in changing a TPS of my type of car although they might get lucky and with a regular screw driver been able to get them loose.

Good luck and keep the work up.

___________________________ '95 Contour GL 2.0L (170K) A/T
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I've heard a lot of these throttle position sensor stories where it's hard work to take it off. Maybe mine is just different becuz all I had to do was take a Phillips and un-screw it off....and let me say dealers are a rip-off when it comes to buying parts from there. A TP sensor was 58 bucks from a Ford dealer!!

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Locktite is installed on those screws at the factory (God only knows why...). Sometimes they come off just fine, most of the time, we cut the heads off with a cutoff wheel, slide the sensor off and unscrew the remainder with vice grips. New screws are allen head for suture ease of removal.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard