Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
after it rains, when i open my trunk, i get a cold shower comming out of the back-up light housings. they get full then leak out the buld mount area. where the hell is the water comming from and how do i stop it?

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I had the same problem until I fixed it recently. I even drove around with the backup bulbs removed because I didn't want them to short out from the puddles of water in the housing.

Although you could have found the solution from doing a search in the forums this is what you have to do. Remove the entire tail light assembly (about 4 nuts and a couple of electrical connections). Then put a few strips of something like 3M Flexible Caulk all along the rubber gasket. You'll sort of form a big rectangle. You can order it from that website but I found some at a local auto parts store.

Some people will say you only need to apply the caulk along the top portion but since the original rubber gasket goes all the way around I went all the way around it too. Since the 3M kit has 20 yards of the stuff I also put it across the entire top edge of the tail light assembly. Don't get it too close to the edge so it doesn't show when you put it back together.

It's been about a month since I did mine and a few heavy rains and the backup lights are still nice and dry. There are other trunk leak issues people have been having with the vents but yours seems to be the gasket area around the lights like mine was.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Ahh... you have no idea how much this helps.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
We (Dad and me) did the strip caulk fix last year on my sister's car, still dry in there. The leaks showed up running the hose over the top of the taillights.

R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
thanks, i will get right on it. im tired of the cold shower

#
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
#
I had the water in the tail lights problem (posts are water in trunk, leaky trunk)and found the 3M windsheild gasket (the black sticky gasket comes in a long flat roll) stuff works awesome. Many on this site talk about caulking or silicone - caulking didn't work for me and I spent 3 hours scraping it off - not fun.
For all your water leak needs, do it right the 1st time, go with the $10 roll of 3M available at your auto glass store.
That's what I learned and figured out.

Jack - 98 CSVT #245

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard