Next Thread
Print Thread
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Hello.

I've been disconnected from this group since june or something, but is good to be back. I used to read it daily.

My sunroof interior shade upholstering is falling apart. Well, it fell on my head as it started to loose the adhesion to the board where is attached to.

Anyone with an idea on what type of glue may I use to put it back again. The surface behind the upholstering is like sand, I believe to refract heat or something.

Thanks

Pablo Quintana 98 SE Sport Contour Honduras, Central America
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Contact cement, the stuff that looks like green snot, is the best stuff to use in this situation. It's the same sort of glue that shoe repair guys use. Don't know where you'd buy it in Honduras, but at least you know what to look for.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Stazi,

Should I try to remove that kind of dark sand before using the cement, because I don't know it will adhere if the surface is like dirty. Do you follow me?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Dark sand?

Pablo, I would try and remove any loose material, as you are right, it will hurt the adhesion if anything is loose. Brush down bothe surfaces so that they arte clean, before you glue them back together.

With contact cement, you need to put glue on both pieces you want glued together. Not too much, but just enough. Then you let it dry a little so that it becomes sticky, but doens't come off the piece - then you press the two pieces together. BUT make sure it is perfectly lined up, because it's almost impossible to pull aprat if you mess it up.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
3M makes good stuff for this. I used it on the sunroof on my SHO and it looks new now. Just spray it on and lay down the headliner material. Can be found at any auto parts store.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Stazi:
Dark sand?

Pablo, I would try and remove any loose material...

The problem is that I'm afraid that has something to do with the heat refraction or so.

It is like red-brown dirt.

P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by todras:
3M makes good stuff for this. I used it on the sunroof on my SHO and it looks new now. Just spray it on and lay down the headliner material. Can be found at any auto parts store.

Any idea on the name of the product?

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Its probably not for heat reflection, but rather why the glue seperated, sounds like the material degraded and that is why it fell. The reason for the sand like material is that the glue is still there holding part of the degraded material up still.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by pabloquintana:

Any idea on the name of the product?

http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1814_1363022

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard