Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1092771 11/01/04 04:36 PM
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Guess I could have been more vague.

First off I understand the SVT engine has a higher c/r than the stock Contout. Everything I have read leads me to believe it is 10.5:1 right? I know 2k had a slightly higher C/R and is more adaptive to mods. Less I have a 99 that was built in 10/98

Alright here are my questions...

To start off how safe is it to boost the stock engine with the turbo? As it seems to be the most effecient.

Second the crank is forged but not the rods, pistons, and related hardware am I mistaken?

Third anyone that has put boost to a stock engine and a safe tune what kind of longevity have you seen and has it seriously affected driveability on a daily basis?

Fourth How much of a PITA is it to install this kit and is the tune that comes with it safe? Yes I have plenty of hands on experience with tools and working on vehicles. Also have air tools (in our auto hobby shop)at my disposal and can weld but do not have the time to have the vehicle down for more than a few days.

I am in Belgium but am an American kind of like poor ole Warmonger. Not looking to be the fastest CSVT out there just want more than what it has the other daily driver is the wifes 03 Stang and I think it lacks power but gears and a few other things will help it while not significantly reducing fuel mileage.

99 SVT #341 03 Vert GT triple black combo w/Roush kit
#1092772 11/01/04 04:48 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by fordracing89:
First off I understand the SVT engine has a higher c/r than the stock Contout. Everything I have read leads me to believe it is 10.5:1 right? I know 2k had a slightly higher C/R and is more adaptive to mods. Less I have a 99 that was built in 10/98

98-99 had 10:1 compression. 2000 was bumped up to 10.25:1.

Quote:

First off how safe is it to boost the stock engine with the turbo? As it seems to be the most effecient.

Depends on which year. In your case, a 99 which is trouble. Check the 3.0L forum for the piston durability thread stickied at the top. Keyser put down 292 whp on his STOCK 2.5L. As to my knowledge, he never had any problems with it.

Quote:

Second the crank is forged but not the rods, pistons, and related hardware am I mistaken?

Again check the thread in the 3.0L forum. Crank and rods will support more than you throw at it. It supported 300 whp on Tom's 3.0L. But his pistons, thats a different story. Upgrade to some Sealed Power pistons.

Quote:

Third anyone that has put boost to a stock engine and a safe tune what kind of longevity have you seen and has it seriously affected driveability on a daily basis?

Yes, quite a few have. I think Keysers car has seen over 1000 dyno pulls and few drag strip runs and its still holding up nicely.

Quote:

Fourth How much of a PITA is it to install this kit and is the tune that comes with it safe?

Its easier to install if the engine is out of the car, because the turbo manifolds are kind of a pain without the right tools. And no, ADC sends you a bogus tune so you blow up your engine! Of course, they send you a safe tune!

Check out the Forced Induction info thread stickied at the top and arizonadynochip.com for more information.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
#1092773 11/01/04 07:13 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I have 30k at 8 psi on the weaker 98 motor. There have not been a whole ton of turbo contours so a lot of the information given in the 3.0 forum is theory.

The kit is made beautifully and the tune is perfectly streetable and safe. Plus adc has top notch customer service.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
#1092774 11/02/04 12:37 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I have 6-7psi on a stock motor with over 100k.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#1092775 11/02/04 01:11 AM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I will tell you how a 99 with 66k holds down a supercharger at 8 psi on saturday!

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
#1092776 11/02/04 01:30 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah the engine will probably hold up, but I don't knoe if I would say the same about the supercharger!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#1092777 11/02/04 02:09 PM
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Gauging right now. It is apparent that the turbo puts out better numbers and from you all ADC seems to know what it is doing. This may be a Jan-Feb winter mod for me. As that will be the first time I can actually take a few days off that I could have time to install it. Anyone notice traction differences in say snow or rain? Me getting dyno time here is next to impossible that's why I asked about the tune, I don't want to have a meltdown with it.

So the ADC kit is complete down to the tune right? Comes ready to bolt right on right? I don't think I need to upgrade anything with the exception of the HPC coating which should be standard.

I see it says battery has to be relocated to trunk but on the turbotour on the page it shows the battery still in there anyone care to elaborate?

Where does the intercooler reservoir sit at ? Is that in the trunk also?

Realistic install time anyone?

#1092778 11/02/04 03:29 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Stazi:
Yeah the engine will probably hold up, but I don't knoe if I would say the same about the supercharger!

Ba dump bump...

Sad but true...

The Vortech needs several supporting mods to make it reliable. The base kit is piss poor to say the least!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1092779 11/02/04 06:45 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by fordracing89:
Gauging right now. It is apparent that the turbo puts out better numbers and from you all ADC seems to know what it is doing. This may be a Jan-Feb winter mod for me. As that will be the first time I can actually take a few days off that I could have time to install it. Anyone notice traction differences in say snow or rain? Me getting dyno time here is next to impossible that's why I asked about the tune, I don't want to have a meltdown with it.

So the ADC kit is complete down to the tune right? Comes ready to bolt right on right? I don't think I need to upgrade anything with the exception of the HPC coating which should be standard.

I see it says battery has to be relocated to trunk but on the turbotour on the page it shows the battery still in there anyone care to elaborate?

Where does the intercooler reservoir sit at ? Is that in the trunk also?

Realistic install time anyone?

Traction in the wet is a joke, but regulating the throttle helps - that said I would NOT ever drive this car in the snow!

Battery in the trunk - no option, and ADC gives you the stuff to do this.

As far as "bolt-in" yes, technically it is, but it's not like installing an air freshener on your rear-view mirror - it's very labor intensive and long winded (a good sign of a well-thought out and comprehensive kit).

None of my parts are HPC coated, I wrapped all the necessary parts with exhaust wrapping (cheaper and more effective anyway).

Reservoir sits in the trunk too - there's nowhere else to put it.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#1092780 11/03/04 07:15 AM
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
How much trunk space am I going to lose? Anyone got pics of this already somewhere or can email me pics? It seems that most pics here are inaccessable from work. The US govt websenses most things.

Also thanks for the input from all of you so far. I had pretty much decided on the turbo before I bothered posting. Just looking at a few things. Like boost controller is there anyone that works well and looks right in our Contours?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard