Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er

STI or EVO8
STI
EVO8
other

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Before the EVO came out I would have taken the EVO.

Now I'd prefer the dependability of the Subbie.

Especially if you consider Mitshubishi may not be stateside for long and even if by some miracle they stay they are voiding warranties faster then you can say baiting the customer. (with SCCA memberships )

Actually if I had to choose I'd get the new Legacy GT with the toned down STi engine and infinitely better looks then either of the other 2.

Talk about a sweet looking sleeper... Mod potential!!!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
... I'd get the new Legacy GT with the toned down STi engine and infinitely better looks then either of the other 2.

I was actually considering one of these for my next car, although the purchase is a few years away.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S

Especially if you consider Mitshubishi may not be stateside for long and even if by some miracle they stay they are voiding warranties faster then you can say baiting the customer. (with SCCA memberships )

Actually if I had to choose I'd get the new Legacy GT with the toned down STi engine and infinitely better looks then either of the other 2.

'

a reflashed ECU, boost controller, and an intercooler later, you can be running or SMACKING those Sti's!!

They have the same internals as the sti right?

R
Rahmel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
i've been checking out autotrader and dealerships all over the place and i know that bottom line a SRT-4 is a neon but for the cost and performance and mods you get with it the mopar packages stage3= 300hp/300tq still keeps the car underwarranty cause its from the manufactuer/dealer (where ever you get it from, it still keeps the car under warranty)i'm pretty sure the newer models come with a beefy lsd.

the evo is great, i found one from a private owner for $23k and it is near new condition, just has lots of miles. i would love to have that over an SRT-4 or an STi but with the cost diff between an SRT-4 and the EVO or STi i could take the remaining money and put it into the SRT-4 and beat those other cars.

someone also mentioned on here about going the 3L route and making it a beast, it sounds awesome but i gotta look around and see what the max numbers hp/tq i can get with different combos and still stay streetable, it's mainly for street use.

I'M RICK JAMES BITC#!!!!!!!!!!!!
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
basically as i understand it, it is an sti motor witha detuned ecu. wich to me makes a lot of sense. why build a whole nother motor when an ecu costs what? 1/10th what an engine costs. i test drove a legacy gt a few weeks back. that will be the replacement for the svt here in a few years when i can pick one up used. oh, and demon, your my hero.

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
As far as streetability with the 3L there aren't any issues with anyone I know of so far. Check my web page in my sig. My car isn't making massive horsepower it probably has about 240 to 250 crank hp. I drive mine everyday and Demon's car seems to be working fine although I'm not sure if he drives it every day.

1999 3.0L Cougar: 220fwhp and 200tq 2003 VW Passat W8 with 4 Motion AWD http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300644 PM for intrest in 3L SVT Contours, 3L swaps into your current car, Prepped 3L engines, or anything 3L related.
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K

The leg GT is definitly on my list of hot cars that are total sleepers. Just a FYI its the same 2.5L as the STI which have shown to be good to 400WHP.

The drawback on the on GT is the turbo system, its completely different then the STI, hence no wrx or sti upgrades. The IC is different, the ECU is different, the Exhaust and DP are different. Right now there aren't much mods. There is a reflash available that put it at 275/275 hp/tq and a set of mufflers for the rear that give her some rumble. It won't be long before there are 350-400hp kits avaiable though

As far as the EVO STI thing. I test drove both and I can honestly say the EVO is a better track car. It feels like your brain is hardwired to the road, think about turning and the EVO turns. Handling is right on par with the STI its just that EVO 'feels' better but numbers don't lie they are too close to call one better then the other.

The factors that helped me decide to go with the STI was Subaru reputation, reliability, and company finacials (aka they aren't in trouble and declining every warranty claim). The clutch was more durable in the STI, and overall build quality was much better. The EVO was better for modding, but equally good for getting your warranty cancelled, the STI has so much power/TQ from the factory and its so linear that its a definitly a better daily driver. The EVO you really had to get her revving to have any fun, if someone caught you off guard aka you were in 3rd and rolling at 2K rpm, you couldn't take off and you would get your azz handed too you until you hit 4-5K.

You also don't get tired on the interstates because the evo would twitch on every bump and wind gust beause of the tight steering rack. I have since replaced my steering rack bushings with poly and it now feels closer to a EVO, but not quite the same feeling.

I also liked the trans and AWD system of the STI better, 3-LSD's, DCCD, indestructable 6spd, etc etc.

Like I always say in my reviews both are excellent cars and its all in what the owner wants. To say one is better then the other is just plain stupid.

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

its sad that some people believe the ev08 is a better car than the STI. the only thing the ev08 has over the scobby is a sunroof. i coun't find one with a sunroof when i bought my 02'wrx the saleperson said it had something to do with roll over safty and the fact they knew a lot of kids would put this things in a ditches and they did it for safty,after i bought my wrx the power of the 2.0L turbo was great, this was a fun car untill i wrecked it.

the sti is a great car and does everything well. but the $600 a month payment and $600 insurace has got me bent. i'll stick with my csvt for now.

-2000 csvt silver frost #1619 -magnaflow 14415 -optimized T/B & y-pipe -superchips xgt1 -75mm proflow maf -K&N RU-3530 -fsvt smart pump # 354Z-9H307-BC -spec stage one, LSD -low-tek,a/f,oil press.,volts -B&M short shifter -17" konig gt-r
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Just get a bike.

Sal Khan 00 SVT - Not pretty 00 Aprilia RSV Mille - Also Loved. http://www.thelunchjournals.com "I just want someone I can stand once her mouth is free of obstruction."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard