Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
www.autonews.com

Originally posted by AutoNews:

October 20, 2004

SVT Lightning shelved
Ford has pulled the plug on the next-generation F-150 Lightning SVT pickup truck, instead putting all SVT's eggs into one basket: The SVT Cobra Mustang, due for 2006. "It's a business decision," said Alan Hall, SVT spokesman.

Looks like Dodge stays King of the Hill for 2004, 2005, & 2006.

2005 SRT10 gets the crew-cab variant and an Automatic tranny standard as well as the stnadard cab 6spd combo.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy that thing was SO bitchin!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
whoopity-doo!

i'd rather see them ditch the lightning for now and hit a home run with the new cobra, than keep it and hit two singles.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
whoopity-doo!

i'd rather see them ditch the lightning for now and hit a home run with the new cobra, than keep it and hit two singles.

The Lighting was a home run. Frankly Im losing faith in SVT, this is a really really stupid decision. Hey lets cancel both the SVT Focus and the new SVT Lightning , GO COBRA. That way dodge can have the best fast truck, and have little to no competition for the SRT-4; great [censored] decision. This really does piss me off.

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by DimitriPopov:

The Lighting was a home run. Frankly Im losing faith in SVT, this is a really really stupid decision. Hey lets cancel both the SVT Focus and the new SVT Lightning , GO COBRA. That way dodge can have the best fast truck, and have little to no competition for the SRT-4; great [censored] decision. This really does piss me off.

it's all about $$$... it's not like dodge is selling srt-10's hand over fist....

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
yeah but Lightings WERE selling like crazy. I see about 200 of them everyday. And the proposed next model was insane! I KNEW it was too good to be true.

I agree with Dimitri 100%

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
it's all about $$$... it's not like dodge is selling srt-10's hand over fist....

True. Unfortunately I don't think Ford cares that the SRT-10 is the fastest truck. They only care about the economics of it all. Which is what they should do.

But if SVT had their stuff together I think they could be a big bonus to Ford. Oh well.

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
bah, who decides what is good economics? Lightnings are very popular vehicles...more popular possibly than cobra's. I see alot more of them than anything else. And Ford really was on top with the whole sport truck thing. Stupid. Just stupid.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Davo:

But if SVT had their stuff together I think they could be a big bonus to Ford. Oh well.

Margins on vehicles are pretty low, and when you consider SVT sells around 20,000 units a year, you realize SVT will never impact Fords bottom line with SVT sales. I assume SVT loses money every year but I'm not privy to that divisions P&L.

What SVT is there to do is create HALO vehicles which bring in pimply 16 yr olds who leave with a base Focus or V6 'stang. This creates brand loyalty at a young age and attracts a lot of free publicity from magazines.

SVT is nothing more than a marketing strategy to Ford.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Exactly.

SVT, SRT, Mazdaspeed, etc they're all what marketers term "Loss Leaders" or at the very least extremely low-margined vehicles. They get your name out there, they create brand loyalty, and they get people into your stores (dealerships) to buy lesser-priced items that you don't lose money on.

So when creating them it comes down to what vehicle is going to create the most buzz more than anything.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard