Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1082636 10/20/04 01:30 AM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Okay, after searching, I have realized that there is a number of opinions on plugs and wires. Wires... well that's easy, I am going to go with OEM, nothing else. Plugs, well I have read AGSF-32PP, AWSF-32PP, the "thin-wire" ones, etc. I am almost certain that they are not AGSF-32PP, but I hear a lot between AWSF-32PP and the thin-wire plugs (can't remember the part number off the top of my head right now).

So... which is it? I went up to Murray's Auto today and they pulled up the part number as the thin-wire plugs. I have heard of dealerships around here selling AWSF-32PP as the OEM part for our cars too...

Can someone tell me which is the correct one? Thanx.

98' SE 2.5L MTX

#1082637 10/20/04 03:27 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Duratec FAQ:
The Duratec requires double-platinum plugs for proper operation. Single platinum or copper plugs will fire but will wear prematurely. Appropriate stock replacements are Motorcraft AGSF32PP/AGSF32PPM or Autolite APP764 (essentially the same plug). The Motorcraft plugs may be hard to come by in your area; the Autolites are perfect substitutes in that case. Don't forget to set the proper gap on your plugs (.054) even if the manufacturer claims they are pre-gapped.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#1082638 10/20/04 01:59 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Neither Autolite APP764's. $4 a piece. Same part as Motorcraft.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1082639 10/20/04 04:32 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I ended up doing this...

I ordered the plug wires (FRPP 9mm) from BAT for 47.50 and got the plugs from the dealer for $5 a piece. The guy gave me a good deal on the plugs, they were supposed to be $7.38 a piece and it was easier than trying to track down the autolites, plus it's right here by the office.

Ford changed the part number again on the plugs. Instead of AGSF-32PP, they are now AGSF-32FM. Still double platnum and everything.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by WA2FAST:
Ford changed the part number again on the plugs. Instead of AGSF-32PP, they are now AGSF-32FM. Still double platnum and everything.

NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

Those are SINGLE platinum fine wire plugs.

You were taken by the Stealership EVEN THOUGH IT'S BEEN POSTED 100+ TIMES THEY ARE NOT DOUBLE PLATINUM PLUGS!!!

So you just paid $5 each for a single platinum plug.

Guess you should have followed the FAQ or the repetetive posts saying "F's" are single platinum or...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

You were taken by the Stealership EVEN THOUGH IT'S BEEN POSTED 100+ TIMES THEY ARE NOT DOUBLE PLATINUM PLUGS!!!

Guess you should have followed the FAQ or the repetetive posts saying "F's" are single platinum or...

2004 Velocity Red RX-8 *Racing Beat Intake and Exhaust *Grand Touring Package *Red/Black Leather *Fender Strakes *Rotary Accents *Xenon HID's *Bose
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

I knew that I would get yelled at the search nazzi's a few times more anyway but sorry, searching or not, that is what the guy at the steelership said. I did make a point to ask him numerous times if they were really the same thing or not, but he assured me that they were the same thing. Either way, they are platinum and will work just fine if that's what Ford says to use... I don't feel like I was robbed considering the fact that he gave me 20% off of the plugs. The plugs that were in the car were due to be replaced and these will work just fine.

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Don't just love the dealerships, Ford feeds them all these lies just so they can sell off over stock. Probably our fault (CEG) we definitely got the word out. "No not those fine wire junk!!!

Double platinum one "little round disc" on the undersside of the ground facing the center conductor and that has the same "little round disc" on it's tip.
Man that stuff must be expensive, I do believe a pin head is bigger than the "little round disc".

I imagine the "little round disc" has a proper name in the spark plug manufactures world?

PauL

Only wish we could do more to piss off Ford, for getting rid of very fine drivers car. Mr. Nasser's planned this all from day one, he made sure the Contour failed. Only he knows why?

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
I knew that I would get yelled at the search nazzi's a few times more anyway but sorry, searching or not, that is what the guy at the steelership said. I did make a point to ask him numerous times if they were really the same thing or not, but he assured me that they were the same thing. Either way, they are platinum and will work just fine if that's what Ford says to use... I don't feel like I was robbed considering the fact that he gave me 20% off of the plugs. The plugs that were in the car were due to be replaced and these will work just fine.

Just like 2 1/2 years ago when the guy at the local dealership told me my engine is complex and difficult to troubleshoot I ended up fixing the problem myself. The solution? New plugs The ones I put in weren't double-platinum. Put in Autolite APP764's and the problems went away.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Yeah, hopefully I don't run into any problems. The plugs that I pulled out were worn down from age but looked (I know that means nothing) like the same style as the ones I installed. They were AGSF-32F I beleive... Either way, hopefully my car won't have any issues... it didn't before, the new plugs I just put in are the same if not better... and I can trust that they are all gapped correctly and the same since I did it myself. We'll see as time goes on. Thank you all for the help though, I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard