Next Thread
Print Thread
#1081943 10/19/04 04:36 AM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I just had a new alternator put in the car 4 months ago. Had the old alternator tested and they said it was good. The battery light was on so I said screw it and put the new alternator in. Battery light went away. At the same time I put the new alt. in I put in a new battery from wal-mart (Everstart). Well, yesterday my battery died while driving. Obviously the alterntor wasn't charging the battery. At the time I figured the battery just went bad and replaced it. So i put a new battery in and again a day goes by and this battery dies. I am clueless. There is no battery indicator light on the dash. I have the battery relocator kit and was curious is there something between the alternator and the battery I should be checking? I don't really know how to trouble shoot this. My buddy was telling me to pull the positive cable while the car is running and the car should stay running. It doesn't. Then he said to try to pull the neg. cable and arc the path with my voltagemeter and it should read 0. He said if it reads anything above 12 volts it's drawing charge. I pull the neg. cable and the car dies. So I am clueless...

Sam 1998 SVT Contour- SOLD 2002 Mustang GT - 406 RWHP/391 RWTQ 12.1 @ 115 MPH
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
well there is the megafuse, but that would cause the bat light assuming it isn't burned out.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
For what it's worth, I've been having a similar problem. My alternator had died, and even though it was dead, the battery light in the dash did not come on when the engine was running.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Okay so after running the voltameter on all the wiring I am coming to the conclusion it's the alternator. All wiring from the battery to the alternator looks great. All ground cables are snug and in great shape. With the car revved up to 2K RPMs the voltameter consistantly reads 12.88 volts. So the alternator is doing nothing. Tested the cable at the alternator and it as well reads 12.88 with the car running. The wiring that goes to the PCM is very snug and in great shape. The only thing I noticed was some water up in the alternator. With my car sitting 1 1/2" off the ground it has been raining these past couple of days it must have gotten up in there. Can water cause damage to these?

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Voltmeter reading at battery terminals should be in the 13.5v to 14v range.....

DO NOT disconnect battery terminals while engine is running since the battery also provides a reference voltage for the charging system to keep the alternator voltage output steady.....how many accessories did you burn out????? (if none, you're lucky)

Have had previous issues w/ Wally World batteries on another vehicle which also had a marginal alternator (two problems at once; almost drove me nuts), get a better battery..

my $.02.............

Is the smoke alarm in your house also known as the dinner bell? '99 Zetec VCT Daily Driver Mild Air Filter Mod
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Burned no accessories so call me lucky.

I pulled the Oddysey battery from my Mustang and tried it in the Contour, but still no difference.

Last edited by PhatSVT; 10/20/04 01:57 AM.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard