Print Thread
#1076762 10/13/04 03:57 AM
M
Mark87 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I've had the P1744 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid stuck in position for nearly 2 years now. Is there something I can do to fix this myself, without taking the tranny apart? What will a shop charge?

My symptom is that when the drive cycle finishes and I've done some highway driving, the OD/OFF light flashes and I get crappy hard shifting from the ATX.

Here's the interesting part. If I push the OD button to prevent going into the top gear, I never get the problem. Is this expected?

INFO - ATX, 99 Countour SE FWD Duratec V6 88K miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

99 Countour SE 2.5L Duratec 87k miles
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Sounds like a Turbine Speed Sensor problem. Check out the following link. It details problems with the new model of Turbine Speed Sensors when used in older CD4E transmissions.

http://www.chat-tec.com/automotive/Autocourses/212/cd4ep.htm

1997 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 ATX
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Mark, sounds like you need to either replace your solenoid block and/or your valve body.

Yes, these can be done yourself. Both could be done over a weekend, or even a day if you are mechanically confident.

Try doing some searches, here in the tranny forums, and see what you can find. I know there's a lot of threads on this topic. If you still can't find anything, let me know and I will see what I can dig up for ya.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
M
Mark87 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Hi,

Did some searching on the 1744 problem. Sounds pretty invloved, with no gaurentee that the problem won't be back in 10k miles again. I'm thinking about selling the contour.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I have a new solenoid pack and TSS sensor that I used once for less then 10 miles until it was decided the tranny was dead. If interested I will sell it to you. It came out of a 96

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M

Once the TC slips it�s finished. The friction material is too thin to stand up to any slipping. You need to replace the VB and TC. As long as this is the only problem you should be OK. I have about 20k on my new TC and VB (total of 104k on tranny). If you not sure then have a rebuilt tranny and TC installed. Don�t waste time changing sensors and solenoids, code 1744 mean�s the TC is slipping that�s it. It�s slipping because the baypass valve is worn and the TC isn�t getting enough lube pressure to engage all the way.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Just re-read your post, if you have been driving it for two years without TC lock-up then you should get a full rebuild. When the bypass valve sticks it can cut off flow to the cooler and the oil in the TC stops circulating. What this all means is that on more then one occasion your tranny has been excessively hot, so you can expect more the TC damage. Also the hard shifting can do bad thinks like crack the FWD drum.

jeff

M
Mark87 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the info mercman. One more question. If I drive the car with the OD off, meaning I push the green button on the shifter so the green light is on from the time I start the car. If I do this, the OD light never flashes. It just stays constant, and after 2 days of this the CEL code clears itself.

Does this mean I am not damaging the transmission when not using the OD, or is it something else?

Thanks,
Mark

M
Mark87 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the offer to sell me the stuff, but I'm afraid I need a full rebuild, like mercman said. I don't feel comfortable doing the work myself anyways, as it looks like the tranny needs to be removed.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Driving with OD reduces the TC slippage but doesn�t prevent it. The TC in the CD4E is designed to lock in 3rd and 4th(OD). During the lock, the fluid in the TC circulates backwards. This is not a problem because the fluid is no longer transmitting torque and so doesn�t get hot. In your case, the TC is using the fluid to transmit engine torque when the TC is supposed to be locked, so it is heating up. Add to this the heat generated by the slipping clutch material and the fact that the fluid is trapped inside the TC and you got problems.

Or the short answer, driving is 3rd reduces the load on the TC friction material thus reducing slippage and heat.

Your best option is a full rebuild with new TC. I would question the rebuild shop on there knowledge of CD4E upgrades (sonax valves and such). No point in putting the same problems back in.

jeff

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard