Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I use B&M 'Trick Shift' fluid which is a synthetic ATF, blue in color, and I mix in 2 oz. of Sta-Lube FM that CSK sells and mine shifts really good when cold or hot. It's also quieted down the tranny a lot too. Tranny doesn't growl when it sits there and idles anymore

Also put that same B&M stuff in my power steering too and it seems a lot smoother when cold too

I just tried it on accident because that's all the local CSK store had for synthetic ATF when I went there, but now that I seen how good it works for me, that's all I'll ever stick in it now. Plus it's a cool shade of blue

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Josch:
I mix in 2 oz. of Sta-Lube FM that CSK sells

If that is the same additive I am thinking of it is made for LSD rear ends and it uses high pressure modifiers to change the friction???
Those are bad for soft metals!

I would do a little research to see if it's safe.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by todras:
Why would anyone use anything besides Redline or Mobil 1?

Simple.

Mobil 1 is still an ATF. I personally wouldn't recommend it because of that even if it shifts a hair better when it's very cold.

Pennzoil Syncromesh is a good fluid. I currently have a 50/50 mix in my MTX from when I swapped axles.

Excellent shifting!

Also it's readily available at Autozone for ~$4 a quart.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Stazi:
The Mobil 1 ATF cocktail claimed my tranny's 3rd gear synchros as well as many others CEGer's. It's just WAY too slick.

if this is the case why is it still in the faq? I just used mobil 1 synthetic with friction modifier and this comment has me worried now

it does have a better feel then the Castrox ATX w/ friction modifier that I have use for little over a year and that is what I was looking for

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
The Mobil 1 ATF cocktail claimed my tranny's 3rd gear synchros as well as many others CEGer's. It's just WAY too slick.

holla

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Okay, since Big Jim confirmed my understanding that ATF+3 has a lot of FM in it, the next logical question is:
Wouldn't using 100% Mobil 1 ATF and adding say double the FM (4 ounces) give about the same end result ?

Same question from a different angle: if Mobil 1 makes people loose their 3rd gear syncros because it's too slippery why not make it grippier, instead of switching to a different synthetic fluid (redline mtl) which has more FM, yes, but is thicker and causes more cold weather problems? It's not the low viscosity that causes a loss of the syncro, it's the lack of sufficient friction as I understand it. True?

Brian "love to learn" Dors

T
I have no life
I have no life
T

Oh come on! Where did you get that? 3rd gear synchros in post 98's go no matter what fluid is in there. I had 130k of beating on my tranny and put in Mobil 1 at 40k. That's 90k with the fluid in. Terry said my tranny was still in excellent condition.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by todras:

Oh come on! Where did you get that? 3rd gear synchros in post 98's go no matter what fluid is in there. I had 130k of beating on my tranny and put in Mobil 1 at 40k. That's 90k with the fluid in. Terry said my tranny was still in excellent condition.

Yep..I have around 80,000 miles on straight Mobil-1 (136,000 total), and I have zero grinding in any gear.

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I can't say it was the fluid for sure, but I do know that at about 90k miles on my tranny I had no problems. Switched to the Mobil 1 coctail and 3k miles later my 3rd gear starts to grind on quick shifts, which steadily over the following month or two it got worse to the point I had to match revs before engaging 3rd without a grind. I dunno, maybe it was coincidence.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
I can't say it was the fluid for sure, but I do know that at about 90k miles on my tranny I had no problems. Switched to the Mobil 1 coctail and 3k miles later my 3rd gear starts to grind on quick shifts, which steadily over the following month or two it got worse to the point I had to match revs before engaging 3rd without a grind. I dunno, maybe it was coincidence.

that sounds like a reasonable assumption to come to

what were you using before?

could switching to synthetic ATX pose some of the same problems like if you switch to synthetic motor oil, if there is a problem it will make it worse?

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard