Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
3.5L 200HP

The new G6 has everything else going for it except for a weak ass engine! Last I checked Nissan was squeezing 240-285HP out of there 3.5L's and all GM can come up with is 200HP? Sure, I know, just use the same engine and platform as the Malibu but can't GM distinguish its supposedly performance driving excitement divison with something exciting?

Explain to me why they just didnt use the 3800, oh yeah, that would be the engine they shove in every other mid-size GM box. What happened to the Olds Intrigue engine? At least it was good for 215HP!

I wont even begin to discuss the SSR debacle!

but damn it if I can't help myself!

2004 SSR gets a weak ass engine and trashed by the automotive press for its porkiness and Hyundai-like acceleration. So GM steps up and throws the new 'Vette engine good for 6.0L's and 400HP. I'm sure all those '04 owners who paid a fat ADM are slicing their wrists over the depreciation and humiliation they are enduring.

Maybe I'll short some GM stock

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
knowing pontiac, there will be a higher hp version to step up to, so they didn't want to blow their wad right away.

as for the SSR, i'm sure current gto owners feel something similar.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
GM seems to either hit the ball out of the park on vehices or end up shoving the bat sideways up their posterior while swinging for that home run.

I've long since given up on second-guessing why the GM does some of the things they do. You would think a company that came up with the CTS-V and the Corvette would be able to reach some sort of product consistency...

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Removing that black box is probably good for a 10th of a second.

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
Originally posted by JaTo:
GM seems to either hit the ball out of the park on vehices or end up shoving the bat sideways up their posterior while swinging for that home run.

I've long since given up on second-guessing why the GM does some of the things they do. You would think a company that came up with the CTS-V and the Corvette would be able to reach some sort of product consistency...

Consistency is a factor in certain areas. In design it's not always the best answer. Those who break out of the mold will will always be faced with the options you've laid out. Add the Aztec to your CTS-V & 'Vette(validating your point)analogy. Consistancy in quality, reliability, service, perfomance (power and efficiency) and safety are, however, key.

Part of GM's past strategy, and consistancy shortcomings, has been hampered by leadership which can't quite make up it's mind. With 10 new cars coming in the next 20 months, and Lutz (a true "CAR GUY") giving direction, I think you'll see some improvement from #1.

Ford is in serious trouble. Surpassed by Toyota and bolstered only by strong truck segments, reforms are desperately needed. Engineering isn't the primary problem though. It's primarily design; which is what gets poeople into dealerships in the first place. When given freedom they can be great (Ford GT, new Mustang, F 150). Constant re-orgs and purchasing clashes (decisions over) with design along side marketing screw-ups are the trouble. The Ford 500 pales when compared to the Chrysler 300.

DCX is doing OK. The 300 has a Hemi, feels like a car half it's size and has Mercedes tranny and rear end. Even the interior is nice. That's right, the interior of a Chrysler in nice. The car has great proportions (long hood, short overhang, slab/big sides). It'll be interesting to see if they follow up with anything other than the Magnum that is as impressive. Somehow, with the Germans involved, I think they will.

Just some opinions here.

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Trapps:
Consistency is a factor in certain areas. In design it's not always the best answer. Those who break out of the mold will will always be faced with the options you've laid out. Add the Aztec to your CTS-V & 'Vette(validating your point)analogy. Consistancy in quality, reliability, service, perfomance (power and efficiency) and safety are, however, key.

Part of GM's past strategy, and consistancy shortcomings, has been hampered by leadership which can't quite make up it's mind. With 10 new cars coming in the next 20 months, and Lutz (a true "CAR GUY") giving direction, I think you'll see some improvement from #1.

Ford is in serious trouble. Surpassed by Toyota and bolstered only by strong truck segments, reforms are desperately needed. Engineering isn't the primary problem though. It's primarily design; which is what gets poeople into dealerships in the first place. When given freedom they can be great (Ford GT, new Mustang, F 150). Constant re-orgs and purchasing clashes (decisions over) with design along side marketing screw-ups are the trouble. The Ford 500 pales when compared to the Chrysler 300.

DCX is doing OK. The 300 has a Hemi, feels like a car half it's size and has Mercedes tranny and rear end. Even the interior is nice. That's right, the interior of a Chrysler in nice. The car has great proportions (long hood, short overhang, slab/big sides). It'll be interesting to see if they follow up with anything other than the Magnum that is as impressive. Somehow, with the Germans involved, I think they will.

Just some opinions here.

I pretty much agree with everythign that was said here

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I could see them using that as the base engine, they should (IMO) offer the new "high feature) 3.6l DOHC 6 as the optional engine, 245/232.

Is there even an MTX with the G6?

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Pete D:
I could see them using that as the base engine, they should (IMO) offer the new "high feature) 3.6l DOHC 6 as the optional engine, 245/232.

Is there even an MTX with the G6?

NO MTX option. 4spd ATX only

Interior looks great and panoramic moonroof is cool.

The 3.6L you mention is the only used in the CTS and Rendezvous Ultra, correct?

Cadillac is GM's winner. All the new offerings from Caddy are doing extremely well and recieve the highest ratings. The latest STS is a sure winner.

Colorado/Canyon seem to be failures as well, and its only taken them 11+ yrs and how many scrapped redesigns to come up with the new Cobalt?

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Well... I agree that you should pull out all the stops from day 1 and keep charging at it until it's time to redesign 4-6 years later (NO car should go more than 6 years without a total redesign).

Ford hurt themselves by not doing a total redesign on the Taurus in 2000 and the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis in 2003. Ditto on the Focus... Get a totally redesigned Ranger out there. Don't play not to lose, play to win.

Put more into Mercury by not making a Lincoln of every Mercury... and give them some corporate unique vehicles... same with Lincoln... they had something going when they brought the LS out, and just let it die. They NEED an uplevel Continental that goes toe to toe with the 5-series and E-class.

The Duratec 3.5 should have been in production several years ago...

It's not a question of if Ford can do it, it's of question of if Ford has the guts to do it.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
American car companies don't have the attitude that they need to compete.
One thing that I continually find myself saying about my VW is that "they really thought of everything when they built it". Do I need a visor so that the glare from the interior lights is blocked from the rearview mirror? Or a button that allows me to turn off the illumination for the volume/cruise controls on my steering wheel? Probably not. However, some engineer at veedub sat down and thought that it might be nice for the driver to have that option. What's more (and probably most important) is that the bean counters gave the engineer the freedom to build these things into the car. The problem with FoMoCo and GM (save Cadillac--thank god) is that they build non-offensive generic looking cars that don't offend their owners, run for 60,000 miles trouble free, which is just long enough for the average driver to get the 7 year itch and trade it in for another. For sure, there are naysayers that will toss in the argument that they can buy a 4 door cavvy or focus 6k less than, say, a Jetta, so why should they spend the extra. For those people, maybe that's ok. They don't think that Ford and Chev are out there to move units. "Oh, but the Focus has a 5 star gov't crash rating!!!" Yeah...so does the Freestar. The rest just meet or barely exceed the bare minimum gov't safety standards. Why? Ford can't put asses in Foci or Freestars without those government numbers. As long as its small car and people mover do well, their trucks and SUV can do as poorly as they want, and people will still buy both. The hellbent soccer moms who don't want an SUV will buy the freestar because it's big and cushy and has all sorts of nooks and crannies to put away the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip. Others will buy the focus because it's cheap transportation that will be a "good car" for a few years. The other side of Fords business unit does well because of the SUV mystique, and the need for work trucks. You will never see a well made, thoughtful, reliable car with "bank vault" doors made by Ford (at least on this side of the pond). However, there's a sucker born every minute, and that's what Ford counts on. Am I saying I'm a sucker for buying a contour? Yes. I was 19 when I bought it. I couldn't get a loan from the likes of toyota or honda at the time. The contour was a great car. It gave me 60 thousand trouble free miles. When I hit that mark, between the creaks and rattles, the warping dashboard, and the impending preventative maintenance (which doesn't bother me) the numbers weren't adding up, and I dropped it like a hot potato.

/rant

Turbocharged trolling around here somewhere. Beat your wife, Potvin, beat your wife! True Blue 06...err...07~LET'S GO RANGERS!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard