Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I bought my CSVT about 1 and a half months ago. It worked great. About one and a half weeks later the check engine light came on. I checked some things that I read about on this site. I checked the codes and got the famous P1152 code (or something like that, cannot find the paper), Lean burn on secondary bank. I used middle grade fuel so I ran the tank almost empty and filled up with premium.

At this point the check engine light was on and off, so I thought that it had to do with something else I did like clean the throttle body.

Then one day I forgot to get gas at the chevron near my house on the way home from work, so I got 10 bucks worth of extra expensive middle grade Shell gas near work. Within 50 miles of the fill up the check engine light went off. Needless to say I filled up with shell the next time. The light has not come on since.

I will never buy Chevron gas again!!!

Has anyone else had this problem, or a similar one?

1998 Contour SVT Black w/ Blue interior Torsen LSD updated shiftforks Lightened Flywheel, HD Drivelines Optimized Thottle Body 2003 3.0L engine upgrade (Soon to be)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have never had any problems with the big 3, Shell, 76, or Chevron.

Any thing less, like Arco, Valero (which is low grade here in CA) i wound never put in.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The gasoline octane and source was neither the problem or the solution. Gasoline doesn't work that way....

Go have your stored codes pulled so it can be determined as to WHY the CEL was on in the first place. Only then can an intelligent diagnosis or observation might be made.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Are you insinuating that I am not intelligent?

As I said in the original post I pulled the engine codes and had the Following code:

P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2

I guess that I could have a short in the wire that corrected itself, since I have not openned the hood.

I know what gasoline is and how it works, I was wondering if they put some additive in that does not react well with the contour oxygen sensor.

When I bought the car the stealership replace the precats and the upper O2 sensors so I was hoping that they were still ok but maybe one front one is bad, and is working correctly right now.

1998 Contour SVT Black w/ Blue interior Torsen LSD updated shiftforks Lightened Flywheel, HD Drivelines Optimized Thottle Body 2003 3.0L engine upgrade (Soon to be)
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
[quote=Roz 1999 SVT-C
Any thing less, like Arco, Valero (which is low grade here in CA) i wound never put in.

Lupe

I only use Arco and have never had any problems. Arco is considered the cheapie stuff but i have nevery had any issues with any of my vehicles. I think arco's rep is unfounded.

ps maybe the Techron isn't agreeing with your engine, try some Peptp Bismol

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
The reason that Arco gas gets a bum rap is due to the 10% ethonol additive. In colder climates the ethonol causes a loss of power. In California it is probably not cold enough to cause the problems.

The Ethonol is put in to lower emissions in cold weather but it does that mostly by lowering horse power which is harder to produce in cold wheather.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Bugzuki:
The reason that Arco gas gets a bum rap is due to the 10% ethonol additive. In colder climates the ethonol causes a loss of power. In California it is probably not cold enough to cause the problems.

The Ethonol is put in to lower emissions in cold weather but it does that mostly by lowering horse power which is harder to produce in cold wheather.

HAHAHAHA... back in Iowa (with cold & hot climate), the only way to not get 10% Ethanol was 87 octane (or diesel or M85). Down in Davenport a Shell on Locust's marketing was they sold Ethanol free gas (probly without Iowa's support)

BTW: not laughing at you, just Iowa! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Well, after some nice hard driving this morning the CEL came back on.

I guess I will be buying a 02 sensor or two.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
that code is for the O2 sensor so that is the problem and not the gas

if the dealer changed the pre cats I would do two things first to make sure it isn't something simple

check that there isn't a leak at the O2 Sensor and reset the computer, maybe the code is left over from a previously fixed problem

if not then it is the O2 sensor and that should take care of it

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Bugzuki:
Are you insinuating that I am not intelligent?

We already have Nimrod in the Duratec Performance forum.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard