Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
BP_dup1 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

without 9/11 would bush stand a chance of re-election?YesNo

this is a serious question because personally i think this is what his platform for re-election is based on.

his 'resolve' to protect america from imminent attack, defeat the terrorist countries, and bring the war to anyone who looks at the US sideways seems to be his only strong points.

if 9/11 didn't happen it would be a lot more obvious how badly our country has done under his rule.

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by BP:

if 9/11 didn't happen it would be a lot more obvious how badly our country has done under his rule.

Please explain...

How badly was this country run the past 4 years?

Please, name things that the President was directly responsible for that made the country worse off. (keep in mind we're talking if 9/11 didn't happen, so budget deficit aside)

-J

'98 4Runner
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
he wouldn't be re-elected, our economy was gonna go down anyways, it was bound to happen and I guess the time it chose was during these 4 years, 9/11 triggered it more but bush would have lost to this ailing economy. I wanna see him in the debates, how he talks and all its gonna be funny plus I'm not watching the RNC cause all I hear is "..when 9/11 happened...etc.." its being stretched a lot now, we'll wee what happens

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BP:
<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1094093316BP">
<p>without 9/11 would bush stand a chance of re-election?<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Yes<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

this is a serious question because personally i think this is what his platform for re-election is based on.

his 'resolve' to protect america from imminent attack, defeat the terrorist countries, and bring the war to anyone who looks at the US sideways seems to be his only strong points.

The question should be what would have happened if 9/11 never happened.....Would bush still be fighting terrior if 9/11 never happened???

Theres no good way to answer your question, as if the events of 9/11 never occured then it is possible that the events that happened after 9/11 never would have happened. And he would never had to go to war wit Afganistan or Iraq....

So, from my persepctive i cannot answer that question....i can honestly answer that they would be diffrent and people would be more focused on the election fowl ups .....But i do not think anyone could seriously answer that question.

And if the thoughts of going to war were in his little mind, even if 9/11 never happened, i believe the American people would go against him more so then now.....Because he would not have provication to go to war.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
B
BP_dup1 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
so you think the issues with our economy, health care, employment rates, foreign policy, etc are all a result of 9/11? i think that's exactly what the bush admin would like us to believe.

..but i didn't start the thread to debate those topics. i'm just asking the question do you think bush would be a good peace time president. you have to use your own intuition as far as how much progress you think the we've made (or lack of) has been affected by 9/11 based on the situation he started his presidency with.

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by BP:
..but i didn't start the thread to debate those topics. i'm just asking the question do you think bush would be a good peace time president. you have to use your own intuition as far as how much progress you think the we've made (or lack of) has been affected by 9/11 based on the situation he started his presidency with.

This "what if" question deserves to be answered as much as Michael Moore's "if you had kids, would you send them to die in Iraq?".

In other words, it can't be answered. 9/11 has defined Bush's presidency, and taking that away can leave one without much opinion of his performance. In the eight months he led the country before 9/11, he made several decisions and pushed some legislation through that I strongly agree with, and I would vote for him again.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by BP:
so you think the issues with our economy,

He wasn't responsible for the recession, he's just partly responsible for getting it up to speed. I think he's done a fine job there. Check the lastest GDP growth. (not spectacular, but steady)

Quote:

health care,

You mean the state of health care, the state in which he inherited it?

Or you mean John Edwards, the man who wants cheap health care, yet malpractice lawsuits was his forte, including a $27 million judgement...

Quote:

employment rates

See economy above. Unemployment at 5.5%, not bad at all considering...

Quote:

foreign policy,

I'm quite happy and in agreeance with Bush's foreign policy.

No, seriously, BP, please do tell me what Bush screwed up in the last 4 years.

-J

'98 4Runner
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
How has America done bad under Bush?

Job losses and economic stagnation? I've said it once and I'll say it again: one has to be an abject fool to believe that a modern presidential administration has single-handedly manipulated the overall health of the US economy through their policies. There may exists segments that have been affected by policy, but by FAR AND AWAY it's been other factors that have lead to the growth or decline...

A sitting US president and Congress would have to enact ENORMOUS economic mandates to yank the behemoth that the US economy is one way or the other. This hasn't happened; the Fed rate changes aren't the type of policy change I'm talking about, either. While sizeable, they've had much less effect on the US economy than other factors.

Think back to the telecom bust, the dot-com fallout, trading scandals and finally 9/11 as major factors behind the recent dips in the economy. Pray tell what in the Hell Bush had to do with ANY of these?

Foreign policy? That depends on how you view the world and some of our "allies". Although the Bush administration could have used a little more tact in dealing with some of our European counterparts in certain situations, don't frame all of the current uneasiness in Europe and Asia on Bush. To do so is reckless and rather ignorant. Don't forget that there is a power struggle inside the EU and that the multitude of US relationships in Europe pose a threat to those that would see themselves as the political "kingpin" of the EU. North Korea and Iran are treading carefully these days; much more so than in the past. Libya has renounced their terrorist ties and seeks to rejoin the civilized world. Iraq is climbing out of decades of oppression, albeit slowly and not without some difficulty.

There do exist strained relationships within the UN, the EU and NATO, though these will mend in time. Bush has used the "stick" more often than the "carrot" in the international arena; the times at hand called for it's initial use and though we've been ovzealous in some areas, the international community now should hold NO misunderstanding on our concerns with terrorism, WMD and Islamic extremism, unlike in the past...

Social policy? This hasn't been a Bush strongpoint; it's played second-fiddle to the security concerns that have cropped up since 9/11. There's no denying this. Then again, apart from a few pieces of environmental legislation, Clinton didn't get SQUAT accomplished in terms of social policy during his 8 years in office. He simply rode the economy during this time.

Environmental policy? This is where I part company with some conservatives and get a little cranky with Bush's record.

It's a complex world; I'm not going to hinge my vote off of ONE singluar event over all others. If I did, I would have dismissed John Kerry from day one, instead of looking deeper at his political stripes.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
IMO, w/o the events of 9/11 the republicans....er, their puppet Bush wouldn't have been able to scratch off some entries of their "to do list" left by Bush Sr. and Regan. We are now handeling the BS they created in the 80's and 90's. Why should we give dubbya any credit for doing so, it was wrong then and still is today....especially since he lied to do it.

M. Moore brought up a good point about "sending your own kids off to die in Iraq". If anyone in the upper class had to consider that they may be sending their own kids to die, they may not be so quick to send them in harms way. We aren't the world's police, nor should our military be treated as such. So don't give me "they knew what they were signing up for". Yes I served in the military, so I'm speaking from my point of view. Look at what class of Americans are in the overall population of US military that are in Iraq and Afganistan.

That is what Bush is using to attempt to get re-elected. Kerry is a chump too, to bad there isn't a solid 3rd party

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Originally posted by Swazo:
M. Moore brought up a good point about "sending your own kids off to die in Iraq". If anyone in the upper class had to consider that they may be sending their own kids to die, they may not be so quick to send them in harms way. We aren't the world's police, nor should our military be treated as such. Yes I served in the military, so I'm speaking from my point of view. Look at what class of Americans are in the overall population of US military that are in Iraq and Afganistan.

No one is sending anyone kids to die! Our military is 100% voluntary.

Class has nothing to do with it.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard