#1037680 08/29/04 08:10 PM
D
Dylan Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Hey guys,

My girlfriend just bought a 2000 Ford Focus ZTS with 56000 miles from a Chrysler dealership here in NY. She has had it about 2.5 weeks and here is whats going on.

1. The day she brought it home, the brake lights stopped working, she brought it back, they fixed the brake light switch.

2. The cruise control works sometimes but dosent other times.

3. Check engine light came on, cylinder running lean: Oxygen sensor?

4. The steering/suspension (not sure..) is making terribly awful noises when steering at low, creeping speeds, taking turns, or coming to a stop.

In New York state there is a 60 day, 3000 mile lemon law warranty that I belive is limited, so I dont think any of this is covered, on paper.. (If someone knows more about this than me, the help would be greatly appreciated.)

This car was supposed to go through a "126 point inspection" prior to us picking it up the salesman told us. Today I went to check the air filter and one of the bolts on it is completely seized by rust, and the other 3 were hard to get off. Thus, it appears to me they did not check the air filter at all, within at least a few months, because the bolt is rusted on. In addition, the car has been overfilled about a half a quart of oil. It seems to me the air filter would be checked on a 126 point inspection..

I was just looking for some advice as to how I should approach these people tomorrow, she has an appt. What if they choose to not cover anything on the car, should I then tell them that I do not think they did the 126 point inspection, or threaten them by telling them I am going to the attorney general?

Or is it the usual norm that a dealership would just fix things like these for no charge since the car was bought 2.5 weeks ago? Sorry if that sounds nieve, I am just nervous about this appointment and want to handle it the most effective way possible.

Any and all insight or advice is welcome, thanks.

-Dylan

#1037681 08/29/04 08:58 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Take it back from where it came. If they refuse to take it back, file under the lemon protection law. If possible, get all the work that was done of paper (ask nicely ). Otherwise, there is no real proof anything was ever broken. Good luck, and be sure to raise hell (my motto!!).

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
#1037682 08/29/04 10:07 PM
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
1)sorry but it is starting to become a problem
2)the cable gets hung up, nothing lubrication can't fix
3)clean the maf
4)most likely the front sway-bar end links, available between 16-21 dollars from your local dealer. 2000 is the worst design. they were revised in 01, then again in 02. other then that it could be the strut tops.

as for the AMS inspection, most dealers could care less. and truthfully, its not the mechanic, its the used car guys. i recently just purchased my contour from the dealer i am a tech for, in the past 2 weeks my fuel pump went. just 2 minutes with my top boss solved all problems and i for the first time, was paid 15 bucks an hr to put a fuel pump in my own car..lol, don't go to the sales manager...go right to the top. while your at it, complain of hesitation and demand that your dpfe is replaced...

good luck and if u have any questions with a focus. hit me up

Originally posted by Dylan:
Hey guys,

My girlfriend just bought a 2000 Ford Focus ZTS with 56000 miles from a Chrysler dealership here in NY. She has had it about 2.5 weeks and here is whats going on.

1. The day she brought it home, the brake lights stopped working, she brought it back, they fixed the brake light switch.

2. The cruise control works sometimes but dosent other times.

3. Check engine light came on, cylinder running lean: Oxygen sensor?

4. The steering/suspension (not sure..) is making terribly awful noises when steering at low, creeping speeds, taking turns, or coming to a stop.

In New York state there is a 60 day, 3000 mile lemon law warranty that I belive is limited, so I dont think any of this is covered, on paper.. (If someone knows more about this than me, the help would be greatly appreciated.)

This car was supposed to go through a "126 point inspection" prior to us picking it up the salesman told us. Today I went to check the air filter and one of the bolts on it is completely seized by rust, and the other 3 were hard to get off. Thus, it appears to me they did not check the air filter at all, within at least a few months, because the bolt is rusted on. In addition, the car has been overfilled about a half a quart of oil. It seems to me the air filter would be checked on a 126 point inspection..

I was just looking for some advice as to how I should approach these people tomorrow, she has an appt. What if they choose to not cover anything on the car, should I then tell them that I do not think they did the 126 point inspection, or threaten them by telling them I am going to the attorney general?

Or is it the usual norm that a dealership would just fix things like these for no charge since the car was bought 2.5 weeks ago? Sorry if that sounds nieve, I am just nervous about this appointment and want to handle it the most effective way possible.

Any and all insight or advice is welcome, thanks.

-Dylan

Focus- 165.43whp/139.46ft/lb N/A Contour- 141.36whp/142.56ft.lb Stock www.thefocusshop.com www.mcnewsautomotive.com
#1037683 08/29/04 10:32 PM
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Where upstate are you at?If you are near syracuse there is courtesy ford.They are a great place to take your car.They are honest and trust worthy.They wont rip you off.

#1037684 08/29/04 10:47 PM
D
Dylan Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I am in Troy, capital region. My girlfriend lives in Rochester though, so she would be near it. Is it in Syracuse?

#1037685 08/29/04 11:03 PM
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
yes it is in mattydale suburb of syracuse.They have 24/7 service department during the week.friday I think they close at 8 pm thought.How many miles on the focus btw?I would take it to a garage that you would trust and have them check it over unless you want to drive to syracuse that way you could go back to that dealer and have them fix all the problems right.

#1037686 08/30/04 12:58 AM
P
Master P
Master P
P
Originally posted by Dylan:
Hey guys,

Did the car come with a used car warranty -- something like 3mo / 3,000 miles? Some are sold AS-IS, caveat empor, but some do come with that small warranty. Should be something that was on the window sticker(s). Mine came with that small warranty that got a couple small items fixed, but I bought it from a Ford dealer.

Keep the threats down. If you threaten to bring in the hounds (lawyers), they'll may clam up and you won't get anything until lawyers do actually get involved. Try to work with them.. be polite. "How are WE going to get these problems resolved?" as opposed to "Fix all this stuff or I'll sue!" Bring in a box of donuts.. Donuts make everyone happy!

Would be wise to look around the Focus forums and see if any of those issues are covered under a recall or extended warranty coverage or TSB. Might be nice to have some information to arm yourself with. Here is one recall related to the cruise control.

Quote:

NHTSA Identification Number: 99V-346

Date of Company Notification: N/A
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Model Year: 2000
Number of Vehicles: 31,002
Mfg Campaign No. 99S35 -Cruise control. DOM 7/99-11/99. Speed control cable end fitting can allow water to enter speed control servo assembly. Corrosion in servo assembly could develop and cause intermittent speed control operation or prevent throttle from returning to idle which could result in unexpected acceleration and crash. Correct by replacing speed control cable with new cable and inspecting assembly for internal corrosion and replacing servos with evidence of corrosion. Advise owners not to use speed control until vehicles are repaired.

And a service campaign related to suspension noises:

Quote:

NHTSA Identification Number: 01I-017
Date of Company Notification: N/A
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Model Year: 2000-01
Number of Vehicles: 238,653
Rear wheel bearing seal race can experience surface corrosion, allowing contamination to enter the bearings, resulting in noise/wobbling. Limited to "Salt-Belt" states: CT, DE, IL, IN, IA, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WV, WI.

Ford Campaign No.: 01B85
Subject: Rear Wheel Bearings
Models Covered: 2000-01 Focus
Terms: Replace rear wheel bearings through December 31, 2003 regardless of mileage

#1037687 08/30/04 01:06 AM
D
Dylan Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I'll be sure to be civil. I do not want to be a jerk. Thanks for the in-depth advice. I appreciate your help alot.

-Dylan

#1037688 08/30/04 01:49 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by perry:
Would be wise to look around the Focus forums and see if any of those issues are covered under a recall or extended warranty coverage or TSB.

I agree. The more knowledge you have the better of you will be.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1037689 08/30/04 04:31 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
2000 Focus just about as bad as the Contour with recalls. I wouldnt have brought one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard