Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Not good! This was my 99 SVT w/50k miles. I would classify those miles as "aggressive" miles. Before running this tank hard, I had dropping down around 260 to a tank- driving as nicely as I possible could.
What do I need to do to get my MPG back? (I've owned the car since 30K and haven't done anything maintenance wise other than oil changes, brakes, and tires)

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
You might try the suggestions on this 100,000 Mile Tune-up thread. The list from Big Jim is especially detailed.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I would strongly suggest a UIM/LIM/TB cleaning. Also consider a new Fuel Filter and some Injector cleaner.

You can take everything apart and flush/clean the manifolds manually, or use the "Big Jim" method. Either way you will restore maybe 5-10 HP and pick up a few MPG.

My mileage jumped 3-4 MPG after the cleaning (22-24 average now, in mixed driving, about 260-280 miles per 11-12 gallon fillup)

If you're not sure what I'm talking about go to the main page and read the how-to on cleaning the intake manifolds. (In the FAQ section)

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Even with aggressive driving, you should be better. How many miles on your plugs? How's your airfilter? Tire pressures and alignment? Even a shortcut version of the UIM cleaning is a good idea, using the method of dropping the liquid slowly into a hole in the manifold, easier/quicker than pulling your manifolds apart.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159

Link Copied to Clipboard