Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mohaj Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
So I've had this problem with my 2000 CSVT, when ever it rains or gets humid out the car doesn't idle right. I've cleaned the K&N filter and just today cleaned the IAC valve and replaced the gasket to be on the safe side. So I disconected the neg battery terminal to reset everything, and at first the car was idling at around 700 rpms, but now it seems to want to stay at 1000 rpms. I read in the manual that the car needs to "relearn" the idle (if that makes sense?) so my question is, is this normal and will it return to idling at 700 rpm after driving it for a bit, or does it sound like I have not found or fixed the problem?

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
It relearns idle this way, disconnect battery cable, when you reconnect it let it sit in park while running for atleast 1 minute so it can relearn idle.

Hope that helps.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Quote:

when you reconnect it let it sit in park while running for atleast 1 minute so it can relearn idle.

We don't have ATXs with the SVT-Cs.....

Yes it will have to relearn it's values and idle. The Haynes manual says let it idle until it reaches normal idle, then run it at 1200 rpm for a few minutes. I've never done this though. It also seems to depend on the extent of modifications done. The more I did to mine, the more time it seemed like it needed to relearn the idle, sometimes taking a couple days until COMPLETELY normal again.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Quote:

when you reconnect it let it sit in park while running for atleast 1 minute so it can relearn idle.

We don't have ATXs with the SVT-Cs.....

Ah [censored] got me there, its late cant think correctly.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
when u connect the battery again, its normal that the rpms go up and down and so on, mine made some funny sounds going up and down (due to my exhaust, lol) but just put it in neutral (or park) and let it just idle for like 1-2 mins or until the car calms down, then you should be fine, it shouldnt drop to 700 no more, if of course you fixed the problem

1999 Contour SVT
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Ford Service CD:
Idle Air Trim is designed to adjust the Idle Air Control (IAC) calibration to correct for wear and aging of components. When engine conditions meet the learning requirement, the strategy monitors the engine and determines the values required for ideal idle calibration. The Idle Air Trim values are stored in a table for reference. This table is used by the PCM as a correction factor when controlling idle speed. The table is stored in Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM) and retains the learned values even after the engine is shut off. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is output to indicate that the Idle Air Trim has reached its learning limits.

Whenever an IAC component is replaced or cleaned or a service affecting idle is performed, it is recommended that Keep Alive RAM be cleared. This is necessary so the idle strategy does not use the previously learned Idle Air Trim values.

To clear Keep Alive RAM, refer to �«PCM Reset�» in Section 2A. It is important to note that erasing DTCs with a scan tool does not reset the Idle Air Trim table.

Once Keep Alive RAM has been reset, the engine must idle for 15 minutes (actual time varies between strategies) to learn new idle air trim values. Idle quality will improve as the strategy adapts. Adaptation occurs in four separate modes. The modes are shown in the following table.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
M
Mohaj Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
So I cleaned the IAC, still had the problem, but not as bad. Just cleaned the MAF sensor with QD Electronic Cleaner and let the car sit for a bit (about 15mins), problem appeared to be fixed so I decided to take the car out and test it. Well, now I have a loud ticking noise comming from the engine and I hope to god it's not what I think it is

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard