Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: sprindl Oil Additive question - 06/28/06 08:21 PM
I know the oil threads have been covered extensively, but I have a sidebar question. I have a 98 SE and I run Mobile 1 synthetic. I have some startup lifter noise that goes away once warm. Is there an oil additive that would correct this. Lucas or one of those for example?

-sp
Posted By: Dec1000 Re: Oil Additive question - 06/28/06 09:26 PM
With the VCT solenoid I would be scared to put anything in.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Oil Additive question - 06/28/06 09:54 PM
Yeah. Just good synthetic 5w-30. Zetecs by nature are noisy.
Posted By: sprindl Re: Oil Additive question - 06/29/06 12:15 AM
Cool. I'll just leave it alone. Thank you.

-sp
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Oil Additive question - 06/29/06 02:20 PM
you could try Mobil 1 5w20 with about 8oz of Valvoline Synpower oil treatment (Silver bottle). Lots of Moly and Zinc to quiet down your valvetrain.
Posted By: sprindl Re: Oil Additive question - 06/29/06 04:14 PM
Has anyone else done this to quiet thier valve train? Is there much risk in mixing the fluids?

-sp
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Oil Additive question - 06/29/06 05:31 PM
I used it in my wifes 00 ZX2 which is pretty much the same engine (VCT and returnless fuel Zetec). It was smoother and quieter, however fuel economy was a little down (32.2 mpg from 33.8mpg), but I was using Mobil 1 5w30 and VSOT, that's why I recomended 5w20 that way you should maintain good economy. I'm currently running M1 5w40(no VSOT) in my pre-98 Zetec.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/08/06 02:13 PM
I run the Pennzoil 5-30 with Marvel Mystery Oil since I bought the car used in 2004. I have had nothing but better and better performance since then. I use marvel in my fuel as well.
I also change my oil and filiter at or around 3k miles. I put a quart of the marvel in my oil instead of one of the quarts of regular oil. I add 4oz of the marvel mystery oil to every full tak of fuel. I usually drain the tank to just above "E" all the time so it works well.

My father always used it and it works. Hell he got 480k miles out of a mercury sable wagons engine. All he ever used in it was regular oil and gas w/ the Marvel Mystery Oil in both.

I know this sounds like a rant on how good it is, but I use it will almost no problems at all. I even get almost 300+ miles on a single tank of gas city driving that is.
Posted By: iso50 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/08/06 02:49 PM
Originally posted by sprindl:
I know the oil threads have been covered extensively, but I have a sidebar question. I have a 98 SE and I run Mobile 1 synthetic. I have some startup lifter noise that goes away once warm. Is there an oil additive that would correct this. Lucas or one of those for example?

-sp

Oil addatives are a bad idea.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/08/06 03:47 PM
Originally posted by iso50:
Originally posted by sprindl:

-sp

Oil addatives are a bad idea.

iso, while everyone is entitled to an opinion, you offer neither facts or even word of mouth evidence to back up your statement. While I and others have done well with oil additives as well as fuel additives. I have done extensive research on several different oil and gas adds and while I will freely admit that there are many crappy additives out there, many of them are very good, and help in many different cicumstances (there are also many circumstances when they are NOT needed). I suggest you go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com and do your own research, and reevaluate your statement.
Posted By: iso50 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/08/06 10:08 PM
Oil is a highly engineered product, and using oil additives really messes with the careful chemistry of engine oil. If you use a high quality full synthetic oil, it is even more critical not to mess with it. Engine oil has all the additives it needs put in already. Fuel additives are a different issue, since fuel isn't as carefully engineered as engine oil and other lubricants are. If your engine oil isn't engineered well, for god sakes stop using that brand.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/11/06 03:35 PM
your, right oil is extremely stringently engineered product, but to what end? Engine longevity or fuel mileage and emmisions? It's a fact that newer API SM rated oils have less anti-wear and anti-friction additives (namely ZDDP and Moly). Oil additives like Valoline Synpower oil treatment, SX-up, Lube Control, and Auto-Rx have also been very stringently manufactured for cars that need more of these additives that are no longer found in newer oils (like pre-98 contours that you buy used that may not have had the best maintenence records in the past).
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/11/06 10:12 PM
I had 140k when my car was sold, driven hard everyday, and installed a S/C at 120k. Never once used an oil additive. Just Mobil 1 every 3-5k.

BTW every Zetec I have every heard had the tick.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/12/06 12:50 AM
Hector, I'll wager that your tour lived most of it's life on API SL rated oil. SM has only been around since about the Hurricane Katrina timeframe. It has a lot less of the traditional oil additive package that was used for most of the Contours model life and recently.

My car has 86,000 miles and no tick.
Posted By: iso50 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/12/06 02:05 AM
If you use a high quality synthetic oil, there is no reason to add extra stuff to oil. Auto-Rx is an additive meant for claening not for running all the time. Personly I haevn't used Auto-Rx, since I run full synthetic oil in all cars I own.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Oil Additive question - 07/12/06 02:14 AM
tick on pre 98's don't start untill around 115,000 miles.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/13/06 03:35 PM
If you use a high quality synthetic oil, there is no reason to add extra stuff to oil. Auto-Rx is an additive meant for claening not for running all the time. Personly I haevn't used Auto-Rx, since I run full synthetic oil in all cars I own.

Actually Auto-Rx recomends running a "maintenence dose" all the time.
Posted By: iso50 Re: Oil Additive question - 07/13/06 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:

Actually Auto-Rx recomends running a "maintenence dose" all the time.

Avoid it, and just run a good synthetic oil. I have not needed to use Auto-Rx, since my synthetic oil keeps the engine clean.
© CEG Archives