Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 How to clean your MAF - 07/04/05 08:10 PM
I've been meaning to write this for a while. I've been worried be other member's techniques. Here ya go...

It only costs a few dollars in parts. You need a couple of SOFT pipe cleaners and either a can of NO RESIDUE Electrical Contact Cleaner or a bottle of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Don't buy anything less than 99% Isopropyl! Anything less than 99% contains rubbing oils and will screw up the MAF's readings.

The pipe cleaners should be the super soft kind like kids use for arts and crafts. like these:

You then douse the pipe cleaner in cleaning fluid. Very carefully brush the pipe cleaner against the MAF elements. Don't use any force! The MAF wires are extremely delicate and are easy to break.

Like so:

Another view:

Once you're finished blow on it real hard to get rid of any fibers left behind by the pipe cleaners. You should also reset your PCM so that it learns the clean MAF's characteristics.

BTW, I've been an Electronics Technician for over 10 years, so I know what I'm talking about.

HTH,
Ben
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/04/05 08:36 PM
Sweet! Nice work man, good pics!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/04/05 08:44 PM
Good work. Pictures always help. Does the Duratec have the same MAF? Maybe Admins can stickie this to the "How to".
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/04/05 10:03 PM
I'm not sure how the Duratec MAF is constructed. I've never seen one. I'm guessing it's similar though.

BP
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/05/05 04:08 AM
Shooooot. I just spray some electrical cleaner in there. No need for pipe cleaners or q-tips and whatnot.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/05/05 01:11 PM
Using just the NO RESIDUE contact cleaner will do a pretty good job. In order to get it really clean, I would reccomend using the soft pipe cleaners.

Using Q-tips will break things.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/05/05 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Shooooot. I just spray some electrical cleaner in there. No need for pipe cleaners or q-tips and whatnot.

I know...never used anything but the cleaner.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/06/05 06:45 AM
I've got a 97 Merc with the Zetec, and the MAF is all aluminum, but it does look similar to that. Are the procedures the same?
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/06/05 01:27 PM
Yes, almost exactly the same. You just won't have the IAT sensor to clean. (The little part on the left hand side of the picture.)

HTH,
BP
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: How to clean your MAF - 07/07/05 02:35 AM
A car that has been at least decently maintained should never need anything more than just the spray cleaner.

But if you make a habit of driving dusty roads daily, running without an airfiler, running an airfilter with a hole, or you get alot of gunk recirculating back to the intake, then the pipe cleaner method is a good way to clean it up once then maintain it with the spray cleaner.

Whenever I clean my filter I clean my MAF.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 12/10/05 05:30 AM
Fixed the pictures.
Posted By: jtour Re: How to clean your MAF - 12/12/05 05:58 PM
Dang it! I wish I would of seen this before I went out and bought a new one 6 months ago

Oh well, Now I know I can clean it myself!

Posted By: danford1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 12/13/05 01:18 PM
I do it similar, but a bit easier I think.
Instead of taking the big hoses off and trying to reach in there like that, I simply unbolt the top unit and pull it up. I use Q Tips and 99% alcohol. Much easier actually.
All you need is a tamper proof T15 torx bit available at most any auto parts store.
It allows you to clean in all corners, sides, areas etc.
Then carefully drop it back in and go.
Resetting the puter is always a good thing to.
Danford1
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 12/14/05 05:29 AM
I've heard that taking that cover isn't a great idea. If you're not careful can mess things up.
I don't see what can be easier than remove the airbox/filter, spraying some cleaner and putting it back on.
Posted By: Preston 2.0 Re: How to clean your MAF - 02/28/06 10:44 PM
Ok maybe I'm an idiot....but how do you reset the computer?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 02/28/06 10:46 PM
pulling the PCM fuse(s)

NORMALLY 4 and 11 (a pink 3A fuse and a 20A fuse, IIRC) in the underhood fuse box by the battery.

Some years are 6 and 11, and some are only one fuse..

Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/01/06 03:58 AM
Thanks for the added info Ray.

I'd also like to go over a few things again. Only use soft pipecleaners and either 99% Isopropyl Alcohol or No Residue Electrical Contact Cleaner.

The pipecleaners are the only things that are soft enough and fine enough to get around the MAF elements without damaging them. Also, the pipecleaners will not snag on the elements and break them. A Q-tip has long fibers that can get hung up on the elements and either break the MAF element or get stuck on the element.

Also, the only way to get the MAF elements completely clean is to use the pipe cleaners. If you just spray the Contact Cleaner on the elements it may still leave a thin film of oil. (This is similar to when you take your car through a no-touch car wash. It works but not as well as using a rag and bucket to wipe the dirt off.)

HTH,
BP
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/01/06 04:01 AM
The spray alone works just fine. My car goes well over a year before the CEL comes on and gotta clean the MAF. That's the only time I clean the k&n as well, so that makes the MAF get dirtier even quicker.
Posted By: owen_SVT Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/01/06 06:13 AM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:

I know...never used anything but the cleaner.

Same!
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/01/06 02:02 PM
So you're lazy and want to do it half-a$$ed. Congrats.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/01/06 05:27 PM
No. I do what WORKS. If I'm EFFICIENT with my time and money, than so be it. You can use pipe cleaners. You could probably also spend $100 ship it to some special company and have them clean it, they'd probably claim using pipe cleaners is half-a$$ing it. I don't see a problem with doing what works, because ummm,,, it works.

I'm not saying using pipe cleaners is a bad idea, just that it's not needed.
Posted By: sk8token Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/03/06 08:16 AM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
I'm not saying using pipe cleaners is a bad idea, just that it's not needed.

Frog, some people's MAF's (including the one on my car) ABSOLUTELY NEED a good scrubbing (I used Q-tips but would like to go back with pipe cleaners to get the back sides of the wires a little better).

The analogy with the car wash is dead on. By scrubbing you can remove more than you can by just spraying. That should make sense to you.

The previous owner of my car drove it around on rugged dirt roads around his house for about 95K miles of it's life. I can tell you 100% without a doubt that I would have never gotten all the baked on dust and crap off of the MAF wires if I had not physically scrubbed on them. I have tried cleaning the MAF sensor many many times with just the spray, and every time using the spray only, I could still see discoloration on the wires after I was done. After finally scrubbing them they look new and the car performs sooo much better that even my wife was like "wow, the contour is so much more fun to drive now!"

I just wanted to make sure other people reading this thread aren't misinformed by your lack of experience in this specific area.

You shouldn't say something isn't necessary just because it hasn't been necessary in YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/03/06 03:04 PM
OK, for 99% of us, just the spray works fine.

And the same goes for you about saying something is necessary, when you had a special condition that MOST don't have.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/03/06 06:01 PM
Originally posted by sk8token:
I just wanted to make sure other people reading this thread aren't misinformed by your lack of experience in this specific area.

You shouldn't say something isn't necessary just because it hasn't been necessary in YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE.

Thank you sk8token. Some people just don't get it.

There the right way, the half-a$$ed way, and the wrong way. I prefer to do things the right way.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/03/06 07:16 PM
There can be a different right way for similar conditions. In this case, the right way for most people also happens to be the easiest.
Posted By: sk8token Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/04/06 12:00 AM
Frog... it's me and Button so far that have needed this. More of you guys MIGHT experience better performance if you tried this, then again, maybe NOT. It takes about 2 more minutes, though, so that's asking a lot... plus the cost of materials... ouch. Ya, better not try it

I never said anyone MUST do this, just that you shouldn't come on here and discourage someone from trying it just because you haven't needed it.

It's lame that you just can't admit when youre wrong about something. I know you have a lot of pride in having auto knowledge... it just sucks that you are closed minded that your knee jerk reaction is to kick out any other idea that doesn't agree with your experiences.
Posted By: Mustang Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll use the pipecleaner method next time I clean my MAF. 1 more helpful tip added to the arsenal should be applauded regardless of whether one uses it or not
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 03:04 AM
Are you kidding me?

I'm called lazy and told I'm not doing something right, yet it works just fine for me and others.

I even said:

"I'm not saying using pipe cleaners is a bad idea, just that it's not needed"

Now you're telling me that I can't admit being wrong about something and that I'm kicking an idea out.

I don't know how to put this for you to understand. I'm sure you'll stay pissy about it no matter how I phrase it.

Spray cleaner works for MOST people. Pipe cleaners can be used but 99% of the time aren't needed.

There are often different ways to the same solution. Just because you do it differently, doesn't mean the other way, which happens to be just a bit simpler (which really makes me wonder where the lazy comments came from, since it takes only a minute more to use a pipe cleaner) is wrong.

For those interested, CRC now sells a spray specifically called MAF cleaner.

Or you can take apart the MAF and take a bubble bath with it, I heard that's the only non-lazy, right way to do it.
Posted By: sk8token Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 05:36 AM
Frog, it's clear that you are just not understanding what I've written here, or you wouldn't be getting upset. Relax, slow down, and re-read this thread several more times and you should be on the same page as everyone else.

I'm sorry I had to correct you in front of everyone. I know it embarrased you (can tell by your posts following mine). It's nothing personal, it's only for the benefit of others out there with the same MAF problem.

I won't be responding any further in this thread (at least to you) because this topic should be about us getting our MAF sensors nice and clean, not a pissing contest about who knows more about working on cars (which is just sad... who cares!). Surely you have other things in life you can be proud of besides just auto repair skills... embrace those things, chill out, and enjoy life

Posted By: Frosty Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 06:05 AM
Thanks for the how-to! I'll be doing mine as soon as the weather gets a little nicer here!
Posted By: Mustang Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 06:55 AM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
Are you kidding me?

I'm called lazy and told I'm not doing something right, yet it works just fine for me and others.

I even said:

"I'm not saying using pipe cleaners is a bad idea, just that it's not needed"

Now you're telling me that I can't admit being wrong about something and that I'm kicking an idea out.

I don't know how to put this for you to understand. I'm sure you'll stay pissy about it no matter how I phrase it.

Spray cleaner works for MOST people. Pipe cleaners can be used but 99% of the time aren't needed.

There are often different ways to the same solution. Just because you do it differently, doesn't mean the other way, which happens to be just a bit simpler (which really makes me wonder where the lazy comments came from, since it takes only a minute more to use a pipe cleaner) is wrong.

For those interested, CRC now sells a spray specifically called MAF cleaner.

Or you can take apart the MAF and take a bubble bath with it, I heard that's the only non-lazy, right way to do it.

Blahh blahh blahh yadda yadda yadda..my big brown boot up you A$$
This thread was meant to show an alternate and perhaps better way to clean a MAF sensor. It wasn't meant to be a political discussion on the fine points of using a fuzzy pipe cleaner. I know this can be troubling to some ppl but you really need to understand the concepts behind this "how to". It's nothing personal and nothing that can really hurt your ego, it's just good info to digest and learn from.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 05:26 PM
Originally posted by sk8token:
Frog, it's clear that you are just not understanding what I've written here, or you wouldn't be getting upset. Relax, slow down, and re-read this thread several more times and you should be on the same page as everyone else.

I'm sorry I had to correct you in front of everyone. I know it embarrased you (can tell by your posts following mine). It's nothing personal, it's only for the benefit of others out there with the same MAF problem.

I'm only upset about being called lazy,etc. for no good reason.

You are also clearly upset, and obviously have not taken time to comprehend anything I've posted or you would not be posting what you have.

You have not corrected me on anything. And the only thing I've corrected you and button on is that pipe cleaners aren't necessary for most people.

I don't know where you got the idea about me taking pride in knowing stuff about cars. I don't know all that much. I do know enough to get me by. And it just so happens that getting a MAF sensor clean happens to be one of those things, seeing as I've owned the zetec for 4 years.

With that said, just keep acting like a big shot if it makes you feel better. Continue to tell people to take usually unnecessary steps. Continue to not understand what I post. It only hurts you and others that chose to overlook the common knowledge collected by me and others over years of contour ownership.

I could really care less if you use a pipe cleaner, a hair brush, or whatever you have to clean your MAF. The fact stands that spray cleaner works fine the majority of the time.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/06/06 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Mustang:

Blahh blahh blahh yadda yadda yadda..my big brown boot up you A$$
This thread was meant to show an alternate and perhaps better way to clean a MAF sensor. It wasn't meant to be a political discussion on the fine points of using a fuzzy pipe cleaner. I know this can be troubling to some ppl but you really need to understand the concepts behind this "how to". It's nothing personal and nothing that can really hurt your ego, it's just good info to digest and learn from.

HAHAHA.

I understand the how-to and its purpose. I just simply pointed out that pipe cleaners aren't usually needed.
If anyone ego is hurt, it's probably buttons. I'm sorry button, I didn't mean to make you angry but people do have a right to know other, correct ways of cleaning the MAF.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/07/06 03:58 AM
Yes, this is really pissing me off.

To properly clean your MAF you need to physically wipe off any residue!!! Stop encouraging people from doing otherwise!

Just because using the spray kinda works doesn't mean that everyone should do it.

I have never received a CEL because of a dirty MAF. You have. Maybe if you followed all of the required steps, you wouldn't have that problem.

Please drop the argument and let this How-to be. As-is I'm tempted to contact the Mod to delete all of this arguing crap and lock the thread. It's making it difficult to read.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/07/06 04:09 AM
Sorry it's making you mad.

I don't understand. To me, properly is what works. For many of us through the years, spray cleaner has worked just fine. That includes me, sleeperz, and hector. I think we all have decent experience with our zetecs.

Now you're right, just because the spray cleaner works, doesn't mean everyone should do it. It'd be a boring place if everyone did the same thing and nothing new would ever happen. For those that just what to do what works, the spray cleaner is for them. Like I said, there is probably a hundred ways to clean a MAF that will work. Feel free to do it however you want.

Umm, I didn't know anything about cleaning the MAF until I got a CEL from a dirty MAF. Well duh, of course if I kept it clean I would never have gotten a CEL.

After getting a CEL, I followed the required steps (cleaning the MAF with spray cleaner) and it's gone. Now I just have to do that once a year and it'll stay away.

Again, people have the right to know different ways of doing things. Your way works. So does spraying it with cleaner. Don't get angry about that. And besides, all the usefull information in this thread is in your first post. The rest is just banter and humor. Doesn't make your first post hard to read, which I think was a good how to, even if taking unnecessary steps.
Posted By: chriseichman Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/07/06 06:22 AM
I have to agree with frog, good reading, who doesn't love a good debate, better than TV I'd say! Anyway I use pipe cleaners, and it works for me...now if i could just get this damn 1405 code to go away...but I have tried everything mentioned in the archives and it just wont disappear...hmmm...
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/08/06 06:01 AM
You guys shoulda taken this to PMs long ago.

I used just electronics spray on my V-6 Contour & it worked just fine. My little Zetec, on the other hand, required some scrubbing of the MAF elements to get them properly operational. So, the method depends on the specific need.

Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 03/09/06 02:23 AM
True. I'm still thinking about contacting the mod and having them delete everything after Ray's post.
Posted By: ninja Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/08/06 02:22 AM
Ben,
I am new to the fourm and must say this site rocks.....
My 99 SE just got coaded with 171.
So after 10 mins. of reading posts and 20 mins. to remove, clean, (with pipe cleaners)install, and reset computer, my SE runs better then it has in a long time. I used eletronic equipment cleaner and Clean Safe moisture free dust remover(air in a can)to blow dry. I used it because a lot of compressors have lots of moisture in them.
Again I just want to thank all of you on the site.

Ed
Ninja0522
99 Contour SE
04 ZX10R
06 ZX14
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/09/06 02:39 AM
Awesome, I'm glad that I could help.

You're also VERY right about using canned air. Not only does an air compressor's air have quite a bit of moisture in it, it also has some oil. You really don't to make matters worse.

BTW, I just let mine air dry. The contact cleaner dries very quickly. It wouldn't hurt the engine if it got sucked in anyway.

BP
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/10/06 07:33 PM
Good luck, the mod already agreed with Kremit.....

Wheather or not the pipe cleaner is neccassary in your case, wouldnt you want to take that extra step, especially considering the price of gas now-adays?

Pipe cleaner it is....

Thanks Button Puncher, you rock mang....
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/11/06 06:31 AM
I concur. If you need pipe clener then use it. I can't see most places being dustier than south georgia, but you never know how it was cared for before you. It's a case by case basis, just be careful not to break your junk.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/11/06 06:40 AM
I concur. If you need pipe clener then use it. I can't see most places being dustier than south georgia, but you never know how it was cared for before you. It's a case by case basis, just be careful not to break your junk.

Or overspray from the can upon can of yellow spray paint can sometimes dirty your maf sensor
Posted By: m!key Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/11/06 04:43 PM
or a powerwasher.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/11/06 06:03 PM
Originally posted by m!key:
or a powerwasher.

Oh snap!!!!!
I hate you!!!!!!

Mikey Gurl FTW!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to clean your MAF - 06/11/06 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293:

Or overspray from the can upon can of yellow spray paint can sometimes dirty your maf sensor

It's a zetec, something had to be done to make it fast.
© CEG Archives