Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: FattyB iLLin more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/05/04 05:34 PM
My SVT has a major coolant leak problem. It's under warranty so I've brought it to the original dealer to take care of the problem.

I call the mechanic today to find out whats up (after a week and a half). He tells me something about there being waterpumps on both sides of the engine??? There may be a problem with one side and that it may be in connection with some sort of "junction" (a part I'm not familiar with).

At this point I'm a little confused. I took apart my water-pump assembly before I brought it to the mechanic and it seemed fine. They're telling me that the leak is coming from the other side of the engine, which confirms my inspection, but that it may have something to do with the waterpump on that side of engine...

If you are confused at this point, then you know how I feel right now. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: BOFH Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/05/04 05:51 PM
There is only one waterpump and it is on the "back" of the engine away from where you would normally find the waterpump.

Make a bet with your mechanic. If there are two waterpumps, you'll pay to replace them both, but if there is only one, he does the job for only the cost of parts.

Use the Mitchell Guide, Alldata, or even the Ford manual as proof.

HTH,

TB
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/05/04 08:12 PM
Get someone else to work on it immediately!
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/05/04 10:46 PM
There isn't 2 waterpumps, maybe it's your flux capacitor...switch mechanics.
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/06/04 01:34 AM
Maybe he means the oil cooler?
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/06/04 04:16 AM
No working mechanic could be THAT stupid....could they?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/06/04 04:49 AM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

Yes, they could.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/06/04 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

Yes, they could.

I'm sorry but I found that extremely hilarious...
Posted By: airman1 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/06/04 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

Yes, they could.

I'm sorry but I found that extremely hilarious...

I had a mechanic that claimed that I have more than one tensioner on my MB 190 four banger, when I wanted to change the chain and the tensioner, I tought then that was funny, but two water pumps! That takes the cake, I would run away from that shop as afas as I could!
Posted By: csc99svt Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/06/04 03:28 PM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
There isn't 2 waterpumps, maybe it's your flux capacitor...switch mechanics.

no it really is the waterpump, it is located right behind the flux capacitor....this second waterpump was installed in second year production after doc brown was out-running the lybians, he noticed a slight overheating in the plutonium chamber....it keeps the 1.21 gigawatts a little more controlled....
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/07/04 09:34 AM
Quote:

no it really is the waterpump, it is located right behind the flux capacitor....this second waterpump was installed in second year production after doc brown was out-running the lybians, he noticed a slight overheating in the plutonium chamber....it keeps the 1.21 gigawatts a little more controlled....

Sorry, forgot about that....
Posted By: Beachboy_dup1 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/08/04 05:01 AM
For what its worth....Ford has built engines with two waterpumps. The venerable flathead V-8 from 1932 to 1953 had two waterpumps - one for each bank of cylinders. I ought to know, I learned to drive in a Ford pickup with the 'high performance' version (100 hp) of the 231 cid V-8. Yeah, I KNOW I'm old.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/08/04 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Beachboy:
For what its worth....Ford has built engines with two waterpumps. The venerable flathead V-8 from 1932 to 1953 had two waterpumps - one for each bank of cylinders. I ought to know, I learned to drive in a Ford pickup with the 'high performance' version (100 hp) of the 231 cid V-8. Yeah, I KNOW I'm old.

Well, there you have it. This would certainly explain the confusion. Your mechanic clearly thinks he is working a Ford flat-head V8. Understandable mistake.

RUN, don't walk, away from that shop!!
Posted By: SVT2000Contour_dup1 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/09/04 05:06 AM
I had a Chevy with two water pumps. The one in the rear was to get the water out of the trunk!
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: more than 1 waterpump??? - 02/11/04 05:20 PM
i have one that really take the cake, was having the car towed because it would not start so i let the tow driver hear how it sounded and he told me that it was the timing BELT, this is with the hood popped clearly stating that it was a V-6 and offered to change it for me. i declined because as i told him there was no way in hell my car has a timing BELT and he swore up and down it did. well when he learned it was the V-6 model he said Oh well It might not have a timming belt then. needless to say he will never work on my car
© CEG Archives