Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Okay well basically after searching the better part of an hour through the forums about Irridiums and Bosch 4s, I think that of the two the irridiums seem to be better, and have had a better success rate. Obviously, I'm not going to believe the success rate is about 1 in 2 for irridiums so I'm just going to assume it's about 1 in 4. I have a pair of Champion double plats for replacement but I also was thinking of picking up the irridiums and see if I get a hit.

My question is for those who have got a dead on hit, is there anything NOW that you regret or that has gone wrong since you've got them to work flawlessly? Notice any misfiring or anything of that nature? And I guess did you install in any different way deviating from the 'how-to' already posted? Thanks for reading and responding
I used NGK Iridiums and loved them. I installed them after both Motorcraft and Autolites made my toru stumble. Tho I am currently running Motorcraft DPs w/out any issues.
I wanna give the Autolite XP's a try but I won't bother till my plugs need to be changed. My plugs only have probably 30k on 'em now... But, unless others have bad luck with them, that'll be my next plug.
I just picked up those Autolite XP for my 3L engine that will be going in next weekend. They are about 6.50$ a pop but i mean $40 doesnt seem like anything compared to the rest of the build.

I will give you guys a little update when i start running them.
I'm running Denso Iridiums. I only bought them because I was trying to diagnose my misfire problems before. They are too pricey for me to purchase them again though. I'll go back to Autolites whenever I need to replace my Densos.

Also, I think anyone on the forum will tell you to stay away from Bosch Platinum+4. They do not work properly on the Duratec.
Well talk about missfire

My engine had the most messed up setup as far as plugs/wires combo goes. I bought the Magnecore 8.5mm wires with the Autolite DP's and my car missfired like crazy, the magnecores just didnt like autolites at all. I ended up gettin cheapo Chmapion $.99 plugs and wholah! no missfire..truely amazing
As long as you're willing to clean/gap/replace them often, copper plugs should work. I'd never run anything but plats, though. I highly doubt your misfire had anything to do with the type of plug.
I just installed Autolite XP's in my SVT and so far i'm pleased. Just need to do the wires and coil now.
i got em bosh+4's in my 96 tourv6 and wow she runs like a dream! Noticed a change for the better pronto.
I had the NGK double iridium plugs in the 96 V6 SE I had for the past year. In that time I put over 60K miles on the car (yes I drive that much in a year! Actually more!) and they proved to be rock solid the whole time. I was getting a solid 30 MPG with the car (v6 auto) on the highway which is the best I have gotten with any V6 auto Contique that I've owned. I'm don't know if that's due to the plugs or not honestly. I can tell you that I had the Bosch +4's on my turck and they only lasted about 10K miles before I started getting a misfire. Bosch is not what they used to be.
Originally posted by European:
i got em bosh+4's in my 96 tourv6 and wow she runs like a dream! Noticed a change for the better pronto.

O god. Worst plugs on the planet.
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by European:

O god. Worst plugs on the planet.

I'm not so sure that they are the absolute worst. Splitfire comes to mind. And then there was the snake oil plugs that I don't remember the name of. They took Bosch plugs and removed the side wire so that the spark had to jump all the way to the cylinder head. The Bosch name was ground off too.

Bosch+4 is a horrible plug. But there are others trying to find their place at the bottom rung of the ladder too.
Been running the NGK Iridiums now for the past two years with Taylor 8MM wires and I also noticed a very good response from engine immediately after install of these products. Gas mileage was up about 6mpg and they are still in after about 12000 miles with no misfires. Awesome plugs but very pricey @ 11.00 bones a pop. But I know I saved on gas since then so it all seems well and good to me. Taylor wires are the poop with these plugs. I'll recommend this setup to any one running a Full 3L or Hybrid.
what about the 8mm motorcraft wires with the iridiums? Thats how many plugs I gotta get... $10 each for 1 plug so $60 + tax for plugs?
© CEG Archives