Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 07/30/06 04:53 PM
Does anyone know the size (length, threading, etc.) for the bolts & nuts that fasten up the catalytic converter to the exhaust pipe? The Ford service CD doesn't list that info, and while I'm putting on my SVT exhaust, I might as well put new fasteners in instead of squeaking in the old rusty ones.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 12:54 PM
Anyone? Is this info that a Napa or Autozone might have?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 01:22 PM
well it is metric, maybe an M10, not sure, worst case just take the cat with you and find some hardware that will work.
Posted By: captainoblivious Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Does anyone know the size (length, threading, etc.) for the bolts & nuts that fasten up the catalytic converter to the exhaust pipe?

Do you mean cat to cat back?

If so, just go up to Home Depot or Lowes and get some stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers that will fit the hole. Doesn't matter if it's metric or sae since you just replace all the hardware.

Or did you mean cat pipe to y-pipe (2 bolt flange or 3 bolt flange?)
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 03:16 PM
Yeah, cat to catback. And I guess "close enough" will work.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 03:24 PM
well the bolts on the exit of the cat are pressed into the flange ... so you are going to have to find a way to remove them if you just want to replace them with new hardware of your choice
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 03:34 PM
Ahhh, THAT is the kind of info I needed to know. Glad I asked.
Posted By: captainoblivious Re: Exhaust flange bolt/nut specs - 08/01/06 07:59 PM
Pull the whole cat, heat them up and whack them out if you have the means. If not, drill. I had to drill, it was an experience that I blocked out of memory.

But yes, close enough works. Just make sure you get stainless. Also if you know you will pull them out in the future, it's a good idea to coat them in anti-sieze.
© CEG Archives