Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: qokuh Mobil 1 - 04/19/06 04:32 PM
Those of you that use plain Mobil 1 syn., how often do you change your oil? I don't put too many miles on and I put 6 quarts in every six months...is that good? Because on the label (I think) it doesn't say anything about this. (I am not talking about Clean 5000, or any of those other variations of Mobil 1, just plain Mobil 1.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/19/06 04:43 PM
I'd change it every 5k. I know some have had test here that said it was good at 7k. Up to you.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/19/06 04:48 PM
Agree. I'd stick with 5 unless you get it tested and find there's life left in it.

The analyst at Blackstone told me I might be able to go to 5500 or 6000, but I stuck with 5. I do a lot of short trips. Some guys have tested and gone up to 7k and beyond, because their driving habits permit it.

YMMV.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/19/06 05:14 PM
Oil analysis put me at 6k intervals.

Josh
Posted By: JB1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 12:32 AM
i go 5000 myself
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 01:09 AM
Originally posted by qokuh:
I don't put too many miles on and I put 6 quarts in every six months...is that good?

That's basically what I do.

If I had waited until I put 5,000 miles on my car the Mobil 1 would have been in the car for almost two years. I tend to change it at four to five month intervals rather than let it sit in the car for that long of a time period.
Posted By: elraido Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 01:17 AM
I have to change mine about once a month and that is at the 5K intervals. By that time it is also down by about 1/2 to 1 quarts anyways...
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 03:14 AM
Originally posted by LUCA:
Originally posted by qokuh:
I don't put too many miles on and I put 6 quarts in every six months...is that good?

That's basically what I do.

If I had waited until I put 5,000 miles on my car the Mobil 1 would have been in the car for almost two years. I tend to change it at four to five month intervals rather than let it sit in the car for that long of a time period.

I would thnk you could easily and safely do an annual oil change with that little driving and especially using synthetic.
Posted By: LoveMySVT Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 03:22 AM
How often do you guys change your filters? It's always been my understanding that pure synthetic oil doesn't break down and should be good for atleast a 12000 miles as long as you make regular filter changes. The filter won't last 12000 miles. I have always changed the filter and added about another quart every 3000. Then made sure that I do a complete oil change about once a year. Although this could also change depending on how hard the motor is run. A couple guys I know change the oil with Royal Purple every weekend, but I guess I would too if I had a stang runnin 8.20s on drag radials

-Chris
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 04:40 PM
Originally posted by LoveMySVT:
How often do you guys change your filters? It's always been my understanding that pure synthetic oil doesn't break down and should be good for atleast a 12000 miles as long as you make regular filter changes. The filter won't last 12000 miles. I have always changed the filter and added about another quart every 3000. Then made sure that I do a complete oil change about once a year. Although this could also change depending on how hard the motor is run. A couple guys I know change the oil with Royal Purple every weekend, but I guess I would too if I had a stang runnin 8.20s on drag radials

-Chris

Get an analysis. What you're doing isn't at all farfetched, but if it were me, I'd want to be sure.

What kind of oil is it? Some are made (and advertised) as "extended drain interval" and some are not.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/20/06 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I would thnk you could easily and safely do an annual oil change with that little driving and especially using synthetic.

Very true, I agree.
I just like to play it safe. It's not that expensive and it at least gives me piece of mind that the oil is clean and not sitting in there for a long period of time.

Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/24/06 04:20 AM
I change mine about every 12-14 months now, and Blackstone still says I'm being conservative. It's only hitting maybe 4000 miles in that time frame.

-Lance
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: Mobil 1 - 04/24/06 12:40 PM
funny post, because i just changed my oil 2 days ago, that was at about a 7 month/ 55000 mile interval
btw i change my filter everytime along with my oil
Posted By: Tisby Re: Mobil 1 - 04/24/06 06:55 PM
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:
funny post, because i just changed my oil 2 days ago, that was at about a 7 month/ 55000 mile interval
btw i change my filter everytime along with my oil

I know it's a type, but damn... That made me do a double take!
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Mobil 1 - 04/24/06 08:13 PM
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:
that was at about a 7 month/ 55000 mile interval

Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: Mobil 1 - 04/24/06 08:28 PM
woops, woulda been better if i woulda put 7 year
© CEG Archives