Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: weasel Have to do an alternator soon, any advice ?? - 03/10/06 03:27 AM
Battery light would come on for a few minutes, then go away. Would stay off for a while, the re-appear for a few minutes. Today, came on and stayed on. DVM confirmed, running off the battery. Crap.

Well I have Ray's how-to printed off, any last minute advice before I cough up for the alternator and dive in ??
Make sure you check the in line alternator maxi fuse befor you jump into changing the alternator. It is in the wire that goes from the battery to the B+ post on the alternator. It is along the firewall, behind the coil pack on the V6.

If you have to change the alternator, have a lot of patience.
Posted By: OB1 Re: Have to do an alternator soon, any advice ?? - 03/10/06 06:26 AM
Also the plug that plugs into the alt has a squareish metal retainer around it. If you lose this retainer the plug slides off. I replaced the alt on my SE & this was the only problem!
I'll give you some advice from when i did mine on monday. Go from the bottom, use U-Joints, extentions, and don't be affraid to stick ur arm up in there to reach stuff. I did it all from underneath. Didn't do anything from up top. it was actually much easier from underneath. Just put the car on jackstands. I had a lift, but we actually only had the car about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. Good luck.

Robert
Make sure you have some beer for when you're done.....you'll have earned it! It can take a while to get this job done, but it's better than paying someone else to do it. Most shops will charge lots of $$$$. Just make sure you have a bunch of extensions and swivels for your ratchet. Good luck.
Scott
Don't do in in the middle of July, in the sun, and on a gravel driveway....didn't have any choice..

Steve

Originally posted by getsum111:
Make sure you have some beer for when you're done.....you'll have earned it! It can take a while to get this job done, but it's better than paying someone else to do it. Most shops will charge lots of $$$$. Just make sure you have a bunch of extensions and swivels for your ratchet. Good luck.
Scott

try doing headers.
Maybe w/ next year's tax return. I know how bad that job sucks, but I've heard the power is worth it.
Scott
Well, I drove the car home from my folks' place and the light was on when I started the car, then after about 2 min of driving: poof. Damned thing went out !! You know, I think I am going to try changing the belt and see if that takes car of things first. I noticed too that the tensioner is near its limit for keeping tension on the belt. So maybe a slightly stretchy belt and something slippery on the belt may be the whole problem. If not I have the alternator here ready to go in.
Only thing i would add is ...before you start...find all the bolts and spray the crap out of them with PB blaster or similar...when i did it, all of that stuff was corroded, i had to start applying so much force i was afraid that i would round out the heads...i stopped and sprayed all the bolts down a few times and waited a while for the tussin to soak in...didnt put up much of a fight after that...
© CEG Archives