Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Daves95Contour Temp sending unit - 10/04/05 09:41 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the temp sending unit? I read the how to and searched and can not find it for my duratec! Sorry this is my first coolant flush!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Temp sending unit - 10/05/05 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by SnafuFlux:
Hi all

I'm thinking about attempting a removal of my ECT Sender unit, but I'm not exactly sure what all is entailed, and even where it is. All I've gotten from the mechanic is that the ECT sensor is out of range (causing a CEL and studdering driving ocassionally).

ALso if someone could confirm where it is located? I see it being at the back (firewall) of the engine. thats about the only thing I can see that looks similar. Well there is one on the drivers side that looks like it, but it doesn't have the same connector

Here is a post from Chongo. It highlights the ECT sensor.

The coolant temp gauge sender is the bronze (??) looking thing below the "Co" from the word coolant. Is that what you are talking about as the sender unit. If it is then if you do it real fast, unscrew and then plug (and screw) in the new one right away, you probably can get away with not having to drain the cooling system (according to Haynes). Haynes suggest to release the pressure by removing the coolant tank cap and then reinstalling the cap back (when the engine and coolant is completely cool). Hope this helps.

Originally posted by chongo:

Did someone call me out.......LOL

here you go.

Posted By: chongo Re: Temp sending unit - 10/05/05 01:10 AM
That pics okay, unless you meant the temp sender for the temp gauge on the dash.
If that's the item you want then it's the brass piece under the word "Coolant" in the pic.
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: Temp sending unit - 10/05/05 07:31 PM
Originally posted by chongo:
That pics okay, unless you meant the temp sender for the temp gauge on the dash.
If that's the item you want then it's the brass piece under the word "Coolant" in the pic.

Yea, I used that one to flush the block
Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: Temp sending unit - 06/16/06 04:32 AM
I had to change my temp sender today. It just failed out of the blue on Monday. I got in my car and my temp gauge shot up way past hot. The rubber gasket on the sensor was eaten up and the terminal was loose. Electrical break I'm guessing.

$20 part from bill j. Cost also depends on year; the single terminal means you have a working temp gauge. The two-terminal sender means you have a 'dummy' temp gauge (goes straight to middle if everything is ok). afaik, it was switched decontented sometime in 98.5.

17mm wrench and about 30 minutes. Don't forget to use some hi-temp RTV sealant on the threads and to relieve pressure first by loosening the reservoir cap.
© CEG Archives