Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: low10s Torsen diff - 07/04/04 06:12 PM
i did a search but cannot find where to get one. a while back i seen a sight where you could get them for $450, but cant remember. thanks
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Torsen diff - 07/04/04 06:35 PM
If you can find them for 450 let me know. I have one on the shelf but it's going for $650 with the diff carrier bearings already pressed on. Retail on that unit is $675 without the bearings.
Posted By: low10s Re: Torsen diff - 07/04/04 08:59 PM
my bad a was thinking about something else LOL. anyway Bat has them for $595 without bearings. if i were to get one from you what all would i need and how would i go about it.(i hear so much about shim kits and speedo gears.) it will be about a month before i purchase, i am going to change the clutch and flywheel also. thanks
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Torsen diff - 07/04/04 10:28 PM
The beauty of the Torsen is that it drops right in. I am yet to hear of anyone needing a shim kit. You will need new diff carrier bearings no matter what. You can't get the old ones off without breaking the cage and if you did I personally wouldn't trust it. The speedo gear stays the same as well.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Torsen diff - 07/05/04 12:07 AM
IIRC it's about $50 for both bearings & the speedo gear.

Then probably another $40 to press them on.
Posted By: low10s Re: Torsen diff - 07/05/04 03:39 AM
thanks for the info guys. i am going to get a torsen, but how good is the spec clutch(stage 2) and flywhell setup.?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Torsen diff - 07/05/04 05:04 AM
According to SPEC it's awesome. However, unless you plan on doing over 290 torque I'd suggest sticking with the Stage I. Even if you do break 290 you can get an upgraded pressure plate to almost double the holding power without the chatter. Something I found out after I bought my Stage III.
Posted By: low10s Re: Torsen diff - 07/05/04 10:13 AM
well the main reason is it is $70 between the stage one and two. and i am getting tired of tranny work LOL, so i figured i would drop the stage two in and be done, in case i might get a turbo. thanks for the info, it is something to consider.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Torsen diff - 07/05/04 03:05 PM
yeah, get the spec 1 with the upgraded PP from Keyser, in CASE you get a turbo in the future. . .
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Torsen diff - 07/05/04 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
yeah, get the spec 1 with the upgraded PP from Keyser, in CASE you get a turbo in the future. . .

I did spec 2...wish I had known about the spec 1 with upgrade pressure plate...

BUT and a BIG BUT...I love my clutch. Minimal chatter...minimal. Do it once, do it right and take your time.
Posted By: low10s Re: Torsen diff - 07/06/04 12:48 AM
man hearing from so many makes it hard to decide LOL. what is the life of the spec clutch compared to stock. i drive it 160 miles a day, so if you say you have a little chatter, is that the clutch or improper breakin or what. thanks
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Torsen diff - 07/06/04 01:39 AM
life depends on how you drive, i wouldn't worry about it. . .if you hit the strip every weekend, expect to pay up, otherwise, these clutches should last. . .are you planning on staying stock engine wise? If so, it'll last longer than the stock SVT clutch. . .
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Torsen diff - 07/06/04 04:38 AM
Originally posted by low10s:
man hearing from so many makes it hard to decide LOL. what is the life of the spec clutch compared to stock. i drive it 160 miles a day, so if you say you have a little chatter, is that the clutch or improper breakin or what. thanks

There is only a slight "chatter" noise at idle. Nothing else tho. No "chatter" during shifts or engagement.

Again I love it. 160 miles...a day....wow
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Torsen diff - 07/06/04 05:19 AM
I've got almost 30k miles on my SPEC with A LOT of abuse. I've had a turbo for almost 40k. It chatters at idle but that doesn't bother me. Engagement is still great and very solid.
Posted By: low10s Re: Torsen diff - 07/06/04 11:01 PM
yea i do plan to upgrade to either a turbo or 3.0, when this engine starts to fade a bit. i meant to say 120 miles a day. anyway that is why i am beefing up the tranny so whatever i decide it can handle it. that is why i was looking at the spec 2. thanks
Posted By: Flemloid - tournomo Re: Torsen diff - 11/01/04 06:23 AM
HEY... I do 160 miles IM COOL.... Menomonie to twincities and back for school 5 days a week... GIT ER DONE.. no I didnt just say that..ahhhhhh
© CEG Archives