Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BStoneMega Zetec final drive? - 06/30/03 03:13 PM
Hey fellas, I just had the Zetec final drive gear installed in my mtx-75. I was wondering exactly what change this will do on my shift points. in other words how fast can I go in each gear before shifting?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Zetec final drive? - 06/30/03 04:33 PM
As I am doing the samething, Terry told me it's just going to make the gears longer and able to put the power to better use with a 3L Hybrid or an FI 2.5/3L. My car isn't mobile as of just yet, but I will know first hand in no time.

IIRC, Kinger has a Zetec FD in his trans..........
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 02:29 AM
The tach will not "magically" change because you changed the gear.

You still shift at the stock redline. Hopefully higher (if it's raised of course)

The only thing the Zetec gears accomplish is making launching a little easier. The bad trade-off is that you will be slower in every gear due to less torque multiplication factor!

Well "technically" another thing the gears change is top speed. Provided you have a hundred or 2 extra HP to use it.
Remember stock gearing, tires, and redline is good to 166mph already & even 200FWHP will only get you around 150mph.

My advice is to stick with the 4.06 gears!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 03:55 AM
Just a very rough guess you would gain about 5mph in each lower gear before you would have to shift. Without added horsepower your top speed in 5th gear would be lower.

This should be enough to get you through 0 to 60 at the top of second gear instead of starting into 3rd gear.

Without additional horsepower this would not be a befificial modification. With a 3.0L conversion this would make the car much more drivable.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 05:40 AM
Whoops, kinda misread the original question.

I'll be able to put enough power through my MTX75 with the zetec FD thanks to my 3L Hybrid backed with the VCN-2000 that I should be getting in the next few days
Posted By: Faboo Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 05:47 AM
what does it do for ur top speed.....lower it???
Posted By: Swazo Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 05:52 AM
It should raise it.....check out what demon posted higher up in the thread.....
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 12:09 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

No. It depends on what you want to do. I'm going with the Zetec as well. Better gas mileage not that that is big deal. You can stay in 1st & 2nd longer for Auto Xing which was key for me. Just depends on what you want to do. I know another 3L owner that is regretting doing it now. He states that he just spins through first and second.
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 01:03 PM
Originally posted by todras:

No. It depends on what you want to do. I'm going with the Zetec as well. Better gas mileage not that that is big deal. You can stay in 1st & 2nd longer for Auto Xing which was key for me. Just depends on what you want to do. I know another 3L owner that is regretting doing it now. He states that he just spins through first and second.

Agreed it only makes sense on low HP applications
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 02:01 PM
Thats odd that you would say it only makes sense on Low hp applications. Mabey I'm tired and I didn't see the sarcasim. if so, sorry. But, Terry told me that he wouldn't have did it if he didn't think I had enough power. Demon can you please expand on why you would have kept the 4.06 gear?
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 04:35 PM
I meant the 4.06 is good for low HP applications. Once you get over 250 to the wheels the zetec gear is the money.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 04:47 PM
cool, well i'm on the money then!!!!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 05:43 PM
Originally posted by kinger:
I meant the 4.06 is good for low HP applications. Once you get over 250 to the wheels the zetec gear is the money.

That makes NO sense.

The change slows you down in EVERY gear.

The road racing teams run gears such as 4.50 to keep the rpm's up and the acceleration crisp. You would think they would lower the gear ratio number if it helped out right! They certainly make over 300HP!

The Zetec gear is only good for making launches a little easier. That's it!
The minor change in cruise rpm would be negligable at best for MPG. Hell I get better MPG cruising at a higher rpm than I do when I lug the car (below 3k) anyway. Yes I have lots of hard data to back that up too!
It would also make Auto-X even worse because you have less TQ factor to use in each gear and the engine would rev up slower as well.

The drop from 4.06 to 3.84 is minor at best for launching. A "skilled" driver could still get better numbers from the 4.06 gears by modulating the clutch & throttle and thus keeping the engine closer to it's powerband.

Why exactly does everyone think the 3.84's are going to make the car so much better & faster? That just makes absolutely no sense. Longer in each gear equates to a slower revving engine which equates to less power. Less work in the same amount of time therefore it is SLOWER/WEAKER!
*If the traction is the limiting factor then the gears will not matter. (when you factor in throttle position!) You will still lose traction at the same power point regardless of the minor gearing change. It's just now when you do find traction you will accelerate a bit slower from there on out!*

On top of all this factor in tire diameter changes. Raising the TD and going with the 3.84 gears will make you slower yet!

Also this whole making 60mph in 2nd can be accomplished by just raising the redline.
Might as well use your powerband instead of shifting right in the middle of it. Definitely no need to make the powerband slower (to "lengthen" it) when you can just so easily extend it altogether!
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 05:54 PM
Your missing the point...with an extra 150 hp on tap you have more then enough power to make MORE TQ in ANY gear then you currently can with your SVT and the 4.06 ratio. I haven't tried yet but I feel I can make the 1/4 through 3rd gear at 7200. I might have to shift but don't know for sure and don't have the time to work the math to see what my top speed in 3rd is.

Don't compare a street car to a race car. You know better There are reasons for everything and they are for the most part opposite in street trim vs race trim.

Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 07:46 PM
just get a wider tire, it'll raise your ratio (or lower, whatever) effectively. . .what I'm trying to say is even though everybody thinks the 3.84 ratio is the way to go when you go hybrid or FI, just widening your running track (from 205 to 225) will be more effective than changing your gear ratios. . .I didn't change it for that reason, since I knew I'm setting up for some serious FI, I just got wider tires, and believe you me, I'm bogging down in stock csvt form, can't wait to sf her. . .i'm with demonsvt on this one. . .
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/01/03 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
just get a wider tire, it'll raise your ratio (or lower, whatever) just widening your running track (from 205 to 225) will be more effective than changing your gear ratios. . .I didn't change it for that reason, since I knew I'm setting up for some serious FI, I just got wider tires, and believe you me, I'm bogging down in stock csvt form, can't wait to sf her. . .i'm with demonsvt on this one. . .

Not true here is a simple online calculator that shows what your new gear ratio would be to retain stock settings it states 0 rounding:

The circumference of the P205/50 x 16 original tire is 75.6208 inches

The circumference of the P225/45 x 17 aftermarket tire is 78.4531 inches

Your speedometer reading is 96.3% of your true speed.

The ratio of your old vs. new tires is 0.96.

The current differential ratio is:
To retain the same overall gear ratio, you will need a differential with a 0 ratio.

It does change but the point is that its negligible. The advantages of hole shot alone make this mod worthwile. Hopefully I can get to a track sometime and prove the point.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/02/03 02:08 AM
I'm not sure that I really want to jump in here or not but let me make a few observations about gearing from real world experience.

Time frame mid 60's.

Subject vehicle. 1963 Chevy Impala Convertible. Highly modified 327 engine. Modifications changed frequently. 4 speed manual trans. No power steering.

Engine had 11:1 Corvette pistons. Several different cams, including several Duntov mechanical lifter cams as well as the 350 HP high performance hydraulic cam. I even had an Isky and a Sig Erson cam in at at times. Several different carbs, ran best with a Carter AFB off from a 409. Corvette heads with 2.02 valves and liberally ported. Depending on cam, engine would rev to 7,000 RPM on the low side and 9,000 RPM on the high side.

At different times I had 5.18, 4.56, 4.11, 3.70, and 3.36 gears in it.

The 5.18's were awsome for the hole shot. I was into third gear before clearing the intersection though. With a top engine speed of 7000 RPM the top speed with this gear was just a little over a 100 MPH. I did not experiment with this gear any further but at 9000 RPM top speed would have been about 130 MPH.

The car was highly modified before I bought it and came with 4.56 gears. Freeway driving was very tiring because of the high revs just cruising.

I wasn't much happier with the 4.11s.

Since it was my daily driver, I ended up with 3.70s. I still didn't loose many street races. The cam that I liked best with those gears was the Duntov 30/30. It ran OK with the 350 HP hydraulic cam with those gears but not as well matched as with the 30/30.

With the 30/30 cam and 3.70 gears I would pull off the line and match the acceleration of my oponent (who usually had to shift at about 5,000 RPM), and when he would shift, I would open the throttle the rest of the way and pull away decisively. Almost always end of contest.

What has all this have to do with your current discussion on gearing?

I've been there and done that. I know from real world experience what gearing can do.

The general rules.

The hotter the cams the less torque pulling away so lower gears are indicated.

The more the low end power, the more beneficial taller gears are. Taller gears are especially indicated with addition engine displacement or artifically asperated applications.

Usually a blown engine benefits from slightly taller gears compared to a turbo engine due to the power charteristics of the engines.

Taller gears do not mean more top speed. Additional horsepower is usually needed to get the engine to the rev limit.

If the gears are too low, you don't really do much more than just generate a lot of noise.

If the gears are too high, you will never be able to keep the engine in it's working range.

Drag racing usually uses lower gears than road racing or oval track racing.

Back to my original post on this thread. A 3.0 conversion would benefit from slightly higher gearing for most street and high performance street applications unless it has much hotter cams.

Anyway, that is my $.02. I welcome further input, but I will not join the argument.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/02/03 02:28 AM
Point of interest. Bondurant SVT's had Rousche prepped transmissions with the zetec final drive. No big engine mods, just auto crossing. Discuss.
Posted By: Faboo Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/02/03 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I'm not sure that I really want to jump in here or not but let me make a few observations about gearing from real world experience.

Time frame mid 60's.

Subject vehicle. 1963 Chevy Impala Convertible. Highly modified 327 engine. Modifications changed frequently. 4 speed manual trans. No power steering.

Engine had 11:1 Corvette pistons. Several different cams, including several Duntov mechanical lifter cams as well as the 350 HP high performance hydraulic cam. I even had an Isky and a Sig Erson cam in at at times. Several different carbs, ran best with a Carter AFB off from a 409. Corvette heads with 2.02 valves and liberally ported. Depending on cam, engine would rev to 7,000 RPM on the low side and 9,000 RPM on the high side.

At different times I had 5.18, 4.56, 4.11, 3.70, and 3.36 gears in it.

The 5.18's were awsome for the hole shot. I was into third gear before clearing the intersection though. With a top engine speed of 7000 RPM the top speed with this gear was just a little over a 100 MPH. I did not experiment with this gear any further but at 9000 RPM top speed would have been about 130 MPH.

The car was highly modified before I bought it and came with 4.56 gears. Freeway driving was very tiring because of the high revs just cruising.

I wasn't much happier with the 4.11s.

Since it was my daily driver, I ended up with 3.70s. I still didn't loose many street races. The cam that I liked best with those gears was the Duntov 30/30. It ran OK with the 350 HP hydraulic cam with those gears but not as well matched as with the 30/30.

With the 30/30 cam and 3.70 gears I would pull off the line and match the acceleration of my oponent (who usually had to shift at about 5,000 RPM), and when he would shift, I would open the throttle the rest of the way and pull away decisively. Almost always end of contest.

What has all this have to do with your current discussion on gearing?

I've been there and done that. I know from real world experience what gearing can do.

The general rules.

The hotter the cams the less torque pulling away so lower gears are indicated.

The more the low end power, the more beneficial taller gears are. Taller gears are especially indicated with addition engine displacement or artifically asperated applications.

Usually a blown engine benefits from slightly taller gears compared to a turbo engine due to the power charteristics of the engines.

Taller gears do not mean more top speed. Additional horsepower is usually needed to get the engine to the rev limit.

If the gears are too low, you don't really do much more than just generate a lot of noise.

If the gears are too high, you will never be able to keep the engine in it's working range.

Drag racing usually uses lower gears than road racing or oval track racing.

Back to my original post on this thread. A 3.0 conversion would benefit from slightly higher gearing for most street and high performance street applications unless it has much hotter cams.

Anyway, that is my $.02. I welcome further input, but I will not join the argument.

More like $2.....
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/02/03 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Keyser:
Point of interest. Bondurant SVT's had Rousche prepped transmissions with the zetec final drive. No big engine mods, just auto crossing. Discuss.

The engines were lightly modified, at least better exhaust.

The main thing there is that the taller gearing worked better on that track. That's sort of back to the drag racing vs road racing thing. Winston cup cars need taller gearing than drag racers. If Nascar ran short gears they would be out of steam long before 200 MPH.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/02/03 01:47 PM

That's all I needed to hear.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/03/03 05:36 PM

It does change but the point is that its negligible. The advantages of hole shot alone make this mod worthwile. Hopefully I can get to a track sometime and prove the point.

3.84 to 4.06 = 5.4% change in ratio

Tire size change (per "specs") from 205 to 225 = 3.8% change in ratio. (Actually my measured change from 205/50 to 225/50 KDW was 23.9" to 25.1" or 4.8%)

Both are minor, but also very close to one another.

If you say one is negligible then so is the other...
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/03/03 05:39 PM

3.84 to 4.06 = 5.4% change in ratio

Tire size change (per "specs") from 205 to 225 = 3.8% change in ratio. (Actually my measured change from 205/50 to 225/50 KDW was 23.9" to 25.1" or 4.8%)

Both are minor, but also very close to one another.

If you say one is negligible then so is the other...

True if the 225/50 fit, you could live with speedo inaccuracy, wrong odometer readings, etc. If you plus size properly and go to 225/45 it is negligible.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/04/03 04:51 AM
Check most any tire chart and you will find the a 205/55R16 and a 225/50R16 are the same diameter.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/04/03 05:43 PM
True if the 225/50 fit, you could live with speedo inaccuracy, wrong odometer readings, etc. If you plus size properly and go to 225/45 it is negligible.

Actually the 225/50's made everything "finally" read correctly vs the "much smaller" 215/50 I had stock!

Not only that, but 225/45's rub!

Either way either change is "roughly" the same change. The 1 to maybe 2% difference will never be noticed. You are talking between 20-80rpm difference depending on engine rpm.

However if you combine taller tires with the taller gear you do get a significant drop in gearing.

Either WILL slow you down, both of course will do so more. It's as simple as that.

A car with 4.06's will be slightly quicker than a car with 3.84's. (power level being equal of course)

Also this talk about finishing the 1/4 mile in 3rd (like we have 1/4 mile car anyway )
Only if you trap 100mph or under and then you can do it with EITHER gear.

With stock 24.1" tires
7800rpm with 3.84's (8k = 101mph)
8050rpm with 4.06's (ok not "ideal", but definitely "possible")

How about wider 25.1" tires & 4.06's @ 7850rpm = 100mph (my setup)

What you say 250FWHP+ traps over 100mph.
Guess your point is moot then or your tire diameter is NOT stock. If so then the gears made no difference in being able to run it in 3rd except to make your acceleration slower through them. If you can make the 1/4 mile in 3rd then your extra tire diameter on top of the taller gear would make your acceleration potential significantly slower.
Guess only us slow NA guys can make the run in 3rd.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/04/03 08:53 PM
? ?

I'm always into 4th through the 1/4. But then I shift about 6500-6800 usually since it's turbo'd.

Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Zetec final drive? - 07/05/03 04:31 PM

I would just add that the Bondurant cars were to train drivers NOT win any kind of race. Perhaps the zetec FD was used to keep revs down lower..engine longevity, less tranny wear from "slower" launches, fleet fuel savings...just speculating. But absolute lap times are not a priority in drivers school, just relative improvement in lap times from driver skill increase.

It is true that the touring cars generally used shorter gearing..4.50 or so as mentioned. But they are hot cam N/A engines and do not have the low end torque that 3L/FI cars have so...I do not know the answer to the Q..
© CEG Archives