Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Loco4G63 Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/25/02 05:35 AM
Here are pics of my B&M trans supercooler. You also get some nice pics of my chipped up grill and bumper.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/25/02 08:59 AM
Looks good!
Im hoping to get one this spring.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/25/02 10:57 AM
sorry if i missed the info on another post...i'll look around for it a little later....model? and did u have to buy an adaptor kit of any sort?
have begun the process of having mine cooler plus filter installed today.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/25/02 06:30 PM
Originally posted by gdub520:
sorry if i missed the info on another post...i'll look around for it a little later....model? and did u have to buy an adaptor kit of any sort?
No I didn't get the kit. I just went to the local auto parts store for more hose and adaptors. I'll post the part number a little later.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/26/02 01:42 AM
niccce, me need one soon. could the a/c condensor be converted to a tranny cooler? well probably not, but if not, i'm gonna rip it out and put tranny cooler there (a/c compressor broke, don't wanna fix it.)
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/26/02 02:47 AM
the atx coolers are cheap enough that u'll just want to get new one...the one i saw for my car was 39.99 or 49.99 at schlep boys...that was for a hayden cooler and the adaptor kit was something like 5-7 bucks...i really need to make the investment soon
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/26/02 04:27 AM
damn gdub
i paid like $25 for my cooler and i had enough hose with it (although we used every inch and it was close, extra couldnt hurt and might be different on zetecs)
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 03:24 AM
What are the advantages of this?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 04:16 AM
advantages??? a longer living ATX mainly. the ATX gets very hot in certain conditions, especially if you chose to drive with O/D off. it will help performance slightly as your transmission will have less wear and be more efficient.
Posted By: revrev_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 04:16 AM
The factory cooler is in the radiator, does an OK job of keeping the fluid cool under most conditions. These coolers are added after the factory cooler. The fluid flows through the cooler in the radiator and then is futher cooled by the auxillary cooler.

Towing or lots of stop and go driving will push trans fluid temps up. I have read that contour trans are a little weak in the pump dept, and so can start getting warm on extended high speed runs also, these coolers help this. Your trans will generally last longer the cooler you can keep the fluid.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 04:19 AM
could i add a large tranny cooler (will be removing a/c condesor soon) and use factory tranny cooler (in radiator) to cool oil?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
advantages??? a longer living ATX mainly. the ATX gets very hot in certain conditions, especially if you chose to drive with O/D off. it will help performance slightly as your transmission will have less wear and be more efficient.
Trust me don't mess with the radiator connections. That is how I messed mine up. I'm sure you don't want to spend another $130 for the radiator.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 06:07 AM
haha you quoted the wrong thing .... what kind of damage did u do? how? why? is there any way to do it w/o screwing it up?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/27/02 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
haha you quoted the wrong thing .... what kind of damage did u do? how? why? is there any way to do it w/o screwing it up?
That is funny! Whoops! It is just a warning. The fitting where the trans lines go in are very sensitive. The seal between the radiator and the trans cooler in the radiator is total CRAP! Mine wiggled just a little bit and it started leaking antifreeze.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/29/02 03:15 AM
how come the fluid in a mtx doest get as hot? Or does it its just not as bad?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/29/02 04:48 AM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
how come the fluid in a mtx doest get as hot? Or does it its just not as bad?
All fluids get hot but it is the design of the Ford Contour's ATX which makes the trans fluid getter hotter.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pics of my B&M trans cooler - 11/29/02 05:52 AM
ford really messed up, i have concluded it doesn't have a true filter because ford couldn't figure out how to use one w/o losing pressure.
© CEG Archives