Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ymicz New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/05/06 07:47 PM
I just got my car back from the shop, Spec Stage 1 clutch and Spec flyhweel were installed. They grip great, however my clutch pedal is so soft its almost limp, and it seems the point at which it grabs is right about when the pedal is almost fully returned to its stationary posistion. Is there anyway to firm it up? Should I go back and make them fix it? In its current state, driveability is not very good and I dont wanna destroy a brand new clutch.

if you need it, '99 SE 2.5L MTX(obviously)
Posted By: Stazi Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/05/06 07:49 PM
Might need some more bleeding.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/05/06 07:57 PM
Yep. More bleeding.
Posted By: ymicz Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/05/06 08:04 PM
How hard is that to do? Or should I take it back and make them do it? I would think for $855.15 they would check things like this
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/05/06 08:27 PM
LOL! You got a deal. I know a dealer charges Around $1100. It's as easy as bleeding the brakes. Have someone hold the clutch in. Loosen the bleeder valve on the trans and tighten. Don't let them take their foot off the clutch until you tighten it down. Repeat.
Posted By: TGO Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/06/06 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Might need some more bleeding.

I would bleed it too if he thinks it feels that weird...but any clutch you put in these cars bites pretty high no??

I mean, in my car i can literally tap the clutch to shift it (push it maybe an inch or two). It's always been that way.
Posted By: ymicz Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/06/06 06:32 AM
Originally posted by todras:
LOL! You got a deal. I know a dealer charges Around $1100. It's as easy as bleeding the brakes. Have someone hold the clutch in. Loosen the bleeder valve on the trans and tighten. Don't let them take their foot off the clutch until you tighten it down. Repeat.

It's the cheapest I could get around here, everyone either hung up on me or said they wouldnt touch it. I would have loved to have stazi do it, but between getting my ass to michigan, getting a hotel / gas / food etc. it wasnt worth the trouble. I can do small stuff, but who am I kidding im not gonna [censored] around with big stuff like tranny pulls.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/07/06 02:59 PM
Originally posted by todras:

I think I should add that in addition to the two-man pressure bleeding you discussed, this can be done by gravity bleeding.

I found this out working on it but if you keep the brake resevoir full with the cap off and crack open the bleeder screw a couple turns and wait, then fluid will start to flow down on its own and push the air out. When you get a good stream you shut it off, refill the resevoir, pump the clutch pedal a few times, then crack it open again and verify.
Works great every time I've done it.
Posted By: saturnspeed_12 Re: New Clutch, What's the deal? - 05/10/06 05:27 PM
yeah guess you could bleed it, but normally when it engages high, then the clutch itself is the problem.

now in my car, it engages at the very top of pedal travel. its got about 5,000 miles on it and i noticed it like this about 1,000 miles into driving on it. it use to engage half way between. but i can too tap the pedal and have it disengage. i love how my saturn was just off the floor and with the act 6 puck clutch, it would spring off the floor and engage instantly instead of having to wait till the top of the travel to engage.
© CEG Archives