Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ymicz Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 03/31/06 06:05 PM
2 questions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDANZA-SHORT-THROW-SHIFTER-COUGAR-MYSTIQUE-886700_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQitemZ8039224314QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm assuming this will work on the contour, as it says cougar / mystique, both of which use the mtx75. The second question, is it good; or do you get what you pay for?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 03/31/06 06:20 PM
like any knock off B&M design it will be prone to breaking. if you have the resourses to re-enforce the weld on the lower cable ball then it is a good investement, otherwise you are asking for trouble
Posted By: 1slosnake Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/01/06 12:26 AM
I have a Cosmo Racing Short throw in mine....

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=195&pid=739

Honestly it is very hard to break a solid peice of metal. Especially when it is hooked up to weaker cables. It is knock off. But I had a B&M in my old SVT and I still can't tell a difference.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/01/06 12:31 AM
did u have to have n e thing welded up on the cosmo? and if so it is just the bottom ball that needs welded??
Posted By: 1slosnake Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/01/06 12:46 AM
You could if you wanted too. But I didn't. Not that big of a deal for $35. It seemed to be pretty sturdy.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/01/06 04:22 PM
do u ever bang though the gears. i mean put the stick though its paces?? to see if it hold ups real nice.
Posted By: gooserex Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/01/06 05:28 PM
I've had both the Fidanza and Cosmo Racing short throw shofters and I've broken em both. Don't fool yourself into thinking they're one solid piece of metal because they're not, the lower pivot ball is stamped on and is a very weak joint at best, even after having it welded back up I still broke it.

And I've never had a problem with my stock shifter in case your wondering.

Broken Fidanza

Pics here...

Broken shifter :@
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/01/06 08:17 PM
thank yo for the reply i think i might just wait till i can get a b@m then. better to spend $ now then be stuck
Posted By: 1slosnake Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/02/06 12:35 AM
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:
do u ever bang though the gears. i mean put the stick though its paces?? to see if it hold ups real nice.

Yes I have. You are talking with someone that has broken more transmisions than everyone in this thread combined . I personally haven't ran into any problems yet. But who knows, then again for $35 you can't expect the world.
Posted By: ymicz Re: Fidanza Short-Throw Good/Bad? - 04/02/06 05:59 PM
Well, I ended up grabbing the fidanza, i have access to a welder, so i suppose i can beef it up for peace of mind.

BTW on that cosmo site i saw this, i found it funny.

"Beware- Recently a lot of overseas manufacturers have been flooding the market with sub-standard shifters that look a lot like COSMORacing�¡�¦s. But that�¡�¦s where the similarity ends. More importantly, these weak, imprecise and unreliable knock-off shifters can potentially cause serious damage. Protect yourself and confirm that you are buying a genuine COSMORacing Precision Sport Shifter. The money you saved on the cheap knock-off will be short-lived when you�¡�¦re replacing your transmission. "
Posted By: shamun B&M for a 96 Zetec? - 04/07/06 02:51 AM
Is there a B&M short throw shifter for early model years? I have 96 GL-Sport with 2.0L. Would LOVE to shorten my throws!!
Posted By: muntus Cosmo made from mild steel? - 04/07/06 06:43 AM
Does anyone know what metal the Cosmo shifter is made from? Just want to know if I can use my econo-mig to beef it up before I buy.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Cosmo made from mild steel? - 04/07/06 03:47 PM
Originally posted by muntus:
Does anyone know what metal the Cosmo shifter is made from? Just want to know if I can use my econo-mig to beef it up before I buy.

I believe it's the same as the OBX shifter. You should be able to strengthen that ball with a good weld.

Shamun- The pre-98 tranny is a rod shifter. There are currently no aftermarket shifters for them.

Mark
© CEG Archives