Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Cross post on NECO

if you cant see the pics, when i compress the SPEC TOB, the inner ring is flush with the thing that contacts the PP. When i compress the Ford one, the PP contact ring compresses further down past the inner ring. wtf?

i talked to bill j yesterday and i got a brand new V6 TOB....

help

thanks
Might not want to spend all your time over there. The TOB where the piston moves back far below the tube face is a ZETEC TOB...didn't we cover this before? It will have a raised ridge on the bearing face and is far shorter than the V6 part.

Ahem.
Ahem 2
guess what guy? i read both those threads twice.

both TOB's in my possesion are exactly the same. they measure the same height and have the same part number stamped on them.

now care to explain why one compresses farther than the other?

[image]http://www.newcougar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23391&stc=1&d=1141960616[/image]

[image]http://www.newcougar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23392&stc=1&d=1141960616[/image]
can anyone answer my question?
Links don't allow to view photo's without a password. It might be easier to see what you mean if we could see the photo's.
Posted By: Tisby FORD/SPEC TOB ? w/ Px - 03/12/06 02:37 AM
I'm in a good mood.
FORD TOB

SPEC TOB
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: FORD/SPEC TOB ? w/ Px - 03/12/06 02:47 AM
My guess is that if the SPEC is made by another company trying to match Ford's design, then it could be different when compressed.

I'd use the Ford one (which the v6 ford tob I have compresses down the same as your's, with the outer part going further down than the inner ring).
Posted By: Instigator Re: FORD/SPEC TOB ? w/ Px - 03/14/06 03:40 AM
k, hopefully this works, i just installed the brand new OEM ford unit.....
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: FORD/SPEC TOB ? w/ Px - 03/14/06 11:55 AM
Really guys, that compression thing shouldn't be a big deal. Although I agree they should be the same, that wouldn't make them not work. You have to take into account the whole travel distance of the piston/bearing assembly.
{TH}.....'Really guys, that compression thing shouldn't be
a big deal. Although I agree they should be the same,
that wouldn't make them not work. You have to take
into account the whole travel distance of the
piston/bearing assembly.

...not quite right.The slave/TOB moves further down
and moves the piston BACK into the cylinder as the
clutch wears.A diaphragm clutch spring fingers move
OUT towards the TOB as the clutch disc wears and gets
thinner.If the TOB piston cannot move back the clutch
will become disengaged over time and slip.This type of
design is self adjusting....the amount of travel
remains the same re TOB piston stroke but it is the
position of the piston in the TOB that changes as the
clutch wears.....get it?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: FORD/SPEC TOB ? w/ Px - 03/14/06 02:15 PM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
My guess is that if the SPEC is made by another company trying to match Ford's design, then it could be different when compressed.

I'd use the Ford one (which the v6 ford tob I have compresses down the same as your's, with the outer part going further down than the inner ring).

Some SPEC kits come with remaned slaves (Ford logo ground off). That was the verdict a few months ago.
Originally posted by TH:
.....not quite right.The slave/TOB moves further down and moves the piston BACK into the cylinder as the
clutch wears.....spring fingers move OUT towards the TOB as the clutch disc wears and gets thinner. If the TOB piston cannot move back the clutch
will become disengaged over time and slip....
.....get it?

Oh yeah, That's correct. good catch!
I guess if it is that big of a difference in how far back the piston can compress between the two parts then it would keep the clutch disengaged or at least with less clamp pressure as it wore down.

Oh, and yes, I got it as soon as you pointed it out.

Of course I want to add that he was having a fluid leakage issue which should have nothing to do with those concerns. Maybe he just had some really bad luck on the particular TOB.
© CEG Archives