Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: NVSVT Who makes the best clutches? - 02/12/06 10:20 AM
I need to put a new clutch in both of my Contours and I would like some suggestions. Personally I like the quality of Unorthodox Racing�s clutches, but I would like to get some feedback from you CEG members who have had experience with clutches, both good and bad, before I lay out that much money. Yes I've searched; it�s just that I want to hear more information than "Spec clutches are great because I have one in my car". What I really want to hear is what brand and model of clutch is good, and why you think that is so.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Who makes the best clutches? - 02/13/06 02:30 AM
Have you heard anything other than Spec?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Who makes the best clutches? - 02/13/06 04:21 PM
I broke a SHO Shop HiRevs Jr (aka Clutchmasters) with 7k on it behind my 3.0L....Spec is the way to go.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Who makes the best clutches? - 02/13/06 04:55 PM
SPEC Stage 1.

I'll break it down for you.

Stock clutch was pretty much dead at my first tranny rebuild at 37k miles.

Replaced with a Grizzly OEM clutch. 2nd tranny rebuild at 52k miles while installing 3L. ~500 miles later, the clutch went out.

Replaced the clutch with a SPEC Stage 1. Have had it in for ~35k hard 3L miles, and it still grabs like the days it was first broken in. It feels stock with daily driving, but bites hard when quick shifting at high RPM's.

I wouldn't even mess with any other clutches. Stick with what is known to work best.

Mark
© CEG Archives