Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 odd quaife question - 10/09/04 10:25 AM
is there any dyno information before/after quaife LSD?

Fidenza?

Spec Clutch?

i'm interested mostly in eliminating drivetrain loss, i've got a spec clutch, fidenza, LSD, and very very beefy motor mounts. i think they might be TOO beefy...
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/10/04 05:18 AM
It would be exactly .4758473845643% more efficient when comparing it to something less efficient.

Flywheel - faster revving, less initial kinetic energy, less mass to rotate at high rpm. Good in 1st, great in 2nd, okay in 3rd, negiglable in 4th.

Clutch - It won't slip and take heat MUCH better! It's actually a hair heavier.

LSD - more parasitic loss, more power to the ground (being as both wheels get the power not just one when traction fails), BULLETPROOF.
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/18/04 03:37 AM
the lsd provides more parasitic loss? really?
Posted By: WYatt eaRP Re: odd quaife question - 10/18/04 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Speed Demon:

I belive that it has to do with power being dristributed evenly through both the left and right wheels as opposed to the wheel with least resistance. Power usage at both wheels, rotational resistance through two paths, etc.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/18/04 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Speed Demon:

"Technically" it does.

The amount is fairly miniscule.

It has more "gear to gear" contact then a normal open differential.
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/18/04 08:51 AM
danke heir ... other... demon
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/18/04 07:42 PM
Most LSD systems do have a slight parasitic loss, and I'm sure that this one does as well, but since it distributes the power more evenly to the wheels, it can help make the power that gets to the wheels more usable, especially under heavy load. The slight parasitic loss may very slightly cut down fuel economy under milder driving.

I definitely prefer to have LSD rather than not.
Posted By: ZX2 S/R Re: odd quaife question - 10/19/04 06:11 PM
i would never call a LSD bulletproof Mazdaspeeds break, phantom grips break
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/19/04 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ZX2 S/R:
phantom grips break

Umm no $h!t! Because it's not an LSD! Basically a set of clips you install in your stock diff to "simulate" the effect of an LSD.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/19/04 06:55 PM
i would never call a LSD bulletproof Mazdaspeeds break

Is it manufactured by Quaife or Torsen? Nope Tochigi Fuji Sangyo. Hence the issues. No one on here with either LSD has had one fail.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: odd quaife question - 10/19/04 09:49 PM
i would never call a LSD bulletproof Mazdaspeeds break, phantom grips break

like someone stated there not "true" LSDs!!!

Quaife (im sure torsen does to) have life time warrentys, even while racing....I ahve had mine for 2 years and have done more thn my fair share of hard driving....

I ahve never seen or heard of one breaking.

Lupe
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 02:53 AM
Do LSDs help reduce/eliminate torque steer?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 04:07 AM
Originally posted by XxColdAzFireXx:
Do LSDs help reduce/eliminate torque steer?

Both tires getting equal power...

Yes they help a lot with torque steer.

Our platform also has equal length half shafts that help some in that area as well.
Posted By: mobiuslogic Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 07:16 PM
Which LSD would you guys say is better, the Torsen or the Quaife. Specifically, which would hold up better to more power because I'll be getting up there before I'm done and I don't want to rip apart the LSD. Thanks.

-mobiuslogic
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 07:58 PM
its really not about which one willhold power....Zthe quaife has a 2:1 ration and the torsen comes in either 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

Must people i have talked to pefer the torsen for drag racing...altough DemonSVT preferes it for just about anything! lol

As for me i am happy with my quaife, as it has servered me well in 3 autocross events in the last 2 years...it may come down to price for you, as the torsen is usually slightly cheaper.

Lupe
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
as the torsen is usually slightly cheaper.

Lupe

Show me where. Quaife is generally cheaper.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 08:29 PM
hey is my zetec liekly to break the diff? It will break the tires, 215 60, loose when dropping in 2nd and if I really try 3rd. What exactly breaks in these things? Does it generally destroy the tranny in the process? In my neon I blew the tranny up after hard driving since the diff pin slid out and let the spider gears go.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 08:35 PM
Originally posted by todras:
as the torsen is usually slightly cheaper.

Lupe

Show me where. Quaife is generally cheaper.

I was going by what i was told...i ahve not done research on the pricing....I know i picked up my quaife for 550.00 2 years ago...a few people mentioned to me that they picked up a torsen for 525.00.

Lupe

EDIT: Todd, i did a little research...cheapest i found was about 625.00.....i might have mixed up my info, as my friend works a a ford only performance shop here, i might have mixed up his cost with retail....I apologize for my inncorrect infomation.
Posted By: Oeneus Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 10:03 PM
Torsen at Focus Central
$589+SH

That's what they sold me mine for...
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: odd quaife question - 10/20/04 11:46 PM
I know Demon said "BULLETPROOF". What exactly does that mean? Is it possible to break the LSD portion of the differential and still have a driveable vehicle, just without the limited slip?
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Torsen warrenty update..... - 10/21/04 12:26 AM
this is info from Torsen's main site regarding there diffs...

Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions on Torsen differentials!

What is the warranty for Torsen aftermarket differentials?

Please contact your point of purchase Torsen approved distributor for relevant warranty information.

If you buy one from Ford Motorsports there is no warrenty...here is an e-mail that Terry Haines sent me regarding that.

Quote:

From: Haines Motor Sports Inc <secondline@ameritech.net> [ Save Address ]
To: roswell911@comcast.net
Subject: Psst...Torsen...
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:51:17 PDT

...listed in the 2004 Ford Racing.....refer to page
3,bottom of page in red panel 'FORD RACING PERFORMANCE
PARTS ARE SOLD WITH NO WARRANTY'...Quaife has a lifetime warranty!!!

So with torsen, the warrenty is limited to the distributer you purcahesed it from...>Quaife, warrenties it for the life time directly from quaife.

Choice is yours.

Lupe

Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Torsen warrenty update..... - 10/21/04 03:43 AM
remember for the quaife you need shims to install it!

i got my torsen w/ bearings pressed on for $650 from ADC

it dropped right in, didnt need to buy ANYTHING else
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 03:48 AM
the quaife has a 2:1 ration and the torsen comes in either 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

It is not "either" ratio though.

Torsen is 3 to 1 biasing ratio.

Quaife is 2 to 1.

That means the Torsen can handle more torque "comparably" and bias it between wheels before "giving in" and letting the wheel with less grip spin.

For example if 200 TQ caused a Quaife to "give in" it would take 300 TQ for a Torsen to "give in" with all other conditions being equal.

This would show up most notably in cornering situations.
Posted By: Stazi Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 01:20 PM
I just have to laugh when reading some of these posts.
What's with all the newbies coming on here not knowing jack-squat about the platform, but then turn around and say they're going to crank out mondo hp and are worrying about braking a LSD differential. Time and time again I've heard this story then once the cost of even hitting 300hp is realized by these kids, they shrink away into the darkness from whence they came.

Please!

There's 3 cars now, running over 400hp crank and a bunch running at over 300hp crank, all with LSD's and none with any LSD diff issues. Seeing as 450hp is probably going to be about it for the Duratec (maybe 500hp, though I doubt it), why is this question even out there? The damn synchros and drive gears in the gearbox (not to mention the drive shafts!) will crap out way before the LSD even sheds a tear.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 02:08 PM
Preach on. 3rd gear synch. will crap out before the LSD.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 02:23 PM
Preach on. 3rd gear synch. will crap out before the LSD.

Or maybe even before your gas tank runs out of fuel, pfft
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
1. There's 3 cars now, running over 400hp crank and a bunch running at over 300hp crank, all with LSD's and none with any LSD diff issues.
2. Seeing as 450hp is probably going to be about it for the Duratec (maybe 500hp, though I doubt it), why is this question even out there?

1. 2 turbo'd 2.5L and a S/C'd 3L. Tom's budget 3L turbo is so close to 400 crank it should count.
That number should grow in the next several months.

2. Suneil's is near 500 already. Estimated 490 crank with 401 wheels using 18% loss.

I expect 500 crank (410 wheels) to fall as well.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 08:39 PM
I think PF has the performance fords has the Quaife for like $550
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: odd quaife question - 10/21/04 10:40 PM
i would never call a LSD bulletproof Mazdaspeeds break

Is it manufactured by Quaife or Torsen? Nope Tochigi Fuji Sangyo. Hence the issues. No one on here with either LSD has had one fail.

The problem isnt WHO made it - its a spot weld system that breaks - you dont actually "break" anything in the actual machanical componentry of the LSD - you crack the welds on the case.

© CEG Archives