Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Kokopellian First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 06:17 PM
Link shamelessly boosted from the Mazda6 boards.

The car seems bada**! I thought it was going to be AWD though. Meh, I'd still hit it. Shoulda waited and tried to convince my wife to get one instead of the Caliber. She wanted an automatic though. Her loss. I got my MS6.

Sport Compact article. Good write up.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 06:31 PM
This should be a good read! Thanks for posting! I haven't renewed my SCC.
Posted By: tirminyl_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 06:42 PM
Every review I have read makes me want the MS3.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 06:49 PM
Wow! Great read. See classifieds for Rara's Contour.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 06:49 PM
I don't see the MS3 being heavily discounted like the MS6. You can get a MS6 on discount for what a MS3 costs and the AWD is a nice feature.

Good to see the Civic SI getting some competition in the compact segment.

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Fmr12B:

Guess it depends on who you are. I never even consider that car competition for much. It might be better than a horse for transportation. I think of SRT first in this segment. Si isn't like it was years ago.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 07:03 PM
I am seriously considering getting one next year. But I doubt it will be the contour that gets sold, lol.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 07:05 PM
Originally posted by tirminyl:

Yep. Mazda did it up on this one. The Speed line is coming to maturity. All I need to do now is get my hands on an MSMiata and an MS3 and I'll have whored the entire family.

Originally posted by todras:
Wow! Great read. See classifieds for Rara's Contour.

LOL. Yeah, I'm gonna go buy the mag just cuz. I like how it talks about how good the MZR engine is.

I don't see the MS3 being heavily discounted like the MS6. You can get a MS6 on discount for what a MS3 costs and the AWD is a nice feature.

True. I don't see it being discounted heavily either. Although I like the MS3, I LOVE the MS6 and it's a better fit for me and my family. The AWD is noice, let me tell ya. It was great in the rain today.

Guess it depends on who you are. I never even consider that car competition for much. It might be better than a horse for transportation. I think of SRT first in this segment. Si isn't like it was years ago.

The new Si isn't a slouch. It's performance numbers exceed the 1st Si by a large margin. It's more like a cheap RSX Type S IMO. I like the looks of them and the ergos. But the performance isn't up to par with what'd I'd like out of a $23kish car. Plus ZERO discounts on Hondas.

Originally posted by Rara:
I am seriously considering getting one next year. But I doubt it will be the contour that gets sold, lol.

DO IT, DO IT! I'd love to see what you could get the MZR to do!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Kokopellian:

Yep. Mazda did it up on this one. The Speed line is coming to maturity. All I need to do now is get my hands on an MSMiata and an MS3 and I'll have whored the entire family.

Just don't use 'totalling the previous car' as your reason/need to move on to the next one!
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 07:45 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

Just don't use 'totalling the previous car' as your reason/need to move on to the next one!

You bastich, that was LOW!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 07:48 PM
Can you really sell a left nut on the black market? If so can I get one for 23k? Damn I hate house payments and student loans. Even if the Caliber beats this thing in tests no way would I own one. Even if it was priced at 10k. Damn that thing is FUGLY!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 07:48 PM

You bastich, that was LOW!

Posted By: Kokopellian Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 08:48 PM
Can you really sell a left nut on the black market? If so can I get one for 23k? Damn I hate house payments and student loans. Even if the Caliber beats this thing in tests no way would I own one. Even if it was priced at 10k. Damn that thing is FUGLY!

The Caliber SRT will beat it due to the AWD feature. But that'll be about it. Caliber SRTs will weight in at around 3,300lbs at the very least. So that weight will cancel out the HP/TQ difference. The numbers project that the MS3 does 0-60 in under 6 seconds. I'd venture to say that the MS3 could do a 1/4 in under 14 seconds as well. So I wouldn't sa that the Caliber would "beat" it. The AWD will be the determining factor. Driver's race. Also, the MS's MZR engine output tends to be underrated coming out of the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if the MS3 will be running closer to the MS6's "published" numbers (the MS6 is underrated as well).

Oh, and selling a left nut, not likely. Those are a dime a dozen. What you need to sell is an actual kid. Now, THAT'S where the coin is!

Don't give me that angelic crap! I saw your post about my naught to 60 in Todra's Vector pic thread!
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 09:00 PM
Needs less FWD.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 09:11 PM

Don't give me that angelic crap! I saw your post about my naught to 60 in Todra's Vector pic thread!

That's 'cause it's FUNNY!
Posted By: m4gician Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 09:28 PM

'

you kidding 2.0L vtech that puts out 200hp vs. an SRT 4 which is turbo charged? Come on... :s THe MS3 is partially ford btw hahah
Posted By: fazzman2000_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 09:30 PM
Ill take fwd i dont mind it. AWD isnt the answer to everything. Its heavy and eats some HP up. The caliber is a joke, its damm ugly. I wanna go test drive a 3 for sure.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 09:33 PM
Yeah. Hence, why I'm paying Mazda a weekend visit. I have loved this car since day one. Also noticed this last night, but maybe it's old news by now? Regardless, MS3 Homepage
Posted By: Tourige Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 10:25 PM

The Caliber SRT will beat it due to the AWD feature. But that'll be about it. Caliber SRTs will weight in at around 3,300lbs at the very least. So that weight will cancel out the HP/TQ difference. The numbers project that the MS3 does 0-60 in under 6 seconds. I'd venture to say that the MS3 could do a 1/4 in under 14 seconds as well. So I wouldn't sa that the Caliber would "beat" it. The AWD will be the determining factor. Driver's race. Also, the MS's MZR engine output tends to be underrated coming out of the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if the MS3 will be running closer to the MS6's "published" numbers (the MS6 is underrated as well).

Oh, and selling a left nut, not likely. Those are a dime a dozen. What you need to sell is an actual kid. Now, THAT'S where the coin is!

Last i checked the Caliber SRT is FWD
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Last i checked the Caliber SRT is FWD

Finally, someone knows what they're takling about! AWD: too expensive

Quote:

Power is transferred through a dual-mass flywheel to the six-speed manual transmission. The dual-mass flywheel consists of two flywheels sandwiching internal springs that are specially tuned to reduce noise and vibration. The GF DMT-6 six-speed transmission, equipped with a limited-slip differential for uniform side-to-side power transfer, is capable of handling up to 300 lb-ft of torque.

web page
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/28/06 11:05 PM
Wow! I really like it.
Too bad it didn't come out last year or I'd already own it. I bought my Volvo s40 last year though but I'd say this is tempting.

Too bad Ford was too dumb not to build something similar in the US under the Focus badge.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 02:25 AM
Finally, someone knows what they're takling about! AWD: too expensive

Quote:

Power is transferred through a dual-mass flywheel to the six-speed manual transmission. The dual-mass flywheel consists of two flywheels sandwiching internal springs that are specially tuned to reduce noise and vibration. The GF DMT-6 six-speed transmission, equipped with a limited-slip differential for uniform side-to-side power transfer, is capable of handling up to 300 lb-ft of torque.

web page

Meh, who cares. I was going by the concept projections. Besides they offer AWD in the current RT version of the Caliber so it would make sense to include it in the SRT version. Therefore it wouldn't be "expensive" for them to incorporate.

That's 'cause it's FUNNY!

LOL!

Originally posted by fazzman2000:
AWD isnt the answer to everything. Its heavy and eats some HP up.

Nope, not the answer to everything, but it's a helluva an answer to most things. My MS6 does JUST fine. I'll post number when I track her one day. Also, you can't poke fun at the EVO, STi, or Subaru GT.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 02:31 AM
AWD is fun.....wheelspin in a FWD or RWD sucks....unless you want it.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Loco4G63:

AWD masks really poor driving habits.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 03:00 AM

I agree. I mean, yeah it's better than fwd I guess, but when a 300whp+ wrx can't keep up with me in the corners and is left making excuses, well....
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 03:01 AM
RWD>AWD>FWD
Posted By: Tourige Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Pete D:
RWD>AWD>FWD

yep
Posted By: Barge Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 12:29 PM

But wheelspin with AWD is the coolest...
Posted By: APT_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 12:55 PM

Meh, who cares. I was going by the concept projections. Besides they offer AWD in the current RT version of the Caliber so it would make sense to include it in the SRT version. Therefore it wouldn't be "expensive" for them to incorporate.

The AWD in the RT cannot handle 300Hp, nor can the CVT which is the only transmission for the AWD.
Posted By: Tourige Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Barge:

But wheelspin with AWD is the coolest...

yea, but once your at that point, there isnt much you can do to get traction again.

At least in RWD you can always heat the tires up.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 02:09 PM
Originally posted by APT:
The AWD in the RT cannot handle 300Hp, nor can the CVT which is the only transmission for the AWD.

Exactly!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/29/06 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
yea, but once your at that point, there isnt much you can do to get traction again.

At least in RWD you can always heat the tires up.

Only RWD cars can heat tires up?

And you can let off the gas in an awd to get traction again (duh). I know guys that can spin all 4 but the key word is CAN. They don't do it if they don't want to.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 02:31 AM
My next car is GOING to be AWD. Hopefully in the next year or so too. Trade in this Sentra for something better...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 02:40 AM

I agree 100%. That is why there are so many wrecked Evos/WRXs.

Barge, AWD burnouts are the coolest by far. It may not be for long, but seeing all 4 tires spinning is a sight!

Evo Vs WRX in burnout = WRX FTW!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 02:43 AM

Riding in a friend's wrx doing donuts in the rain puts a huge smile on my face. I'll try to get video next time.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Riding in a friend's wrx doing donuts in the rain puts a huge smile on my face. I'll try to get video next time.

In the rain spinning the tires is easy on my car.....in the dry my car will grip and go....Barge's WRX - spinning tires.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 02:54 AM
My buddy's wrx can spin em in the dry. He runs 12 something in 1/4.
Posted By: Barge Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
My buddy's wrx can spin em in the dry. He runs 12 something in 1/4.

Just ask SZ drag strip attendee's about my first "easy" launch at the strip...

but anyway.. mazdaspeed3 sounds like a winner.. I wish someone would come out with a nice small car with big power and RWD.

I'll be left with my only option as the skyy redline.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 01:02 PM

I agree 100%. That is why there are so many wrecked Evos/WRXs.

Barge, AWD burnouts are the coolest by far. It may not be for long, but seeing all 4 tires spinning is a sight!

I'll put it this way....AWD is better than FWD...period.
But you already know that. I love the AWD in my S40 even though it added some poundage.

If I only had another 50hp in this car I'd be set because it does everything else really really well.

<we all say that no matter how much power it has>

Anyway the Mazda3 looks like a great car and I'd own one I think.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: First Drive Mazdaspeed3 - 08/30/06 03:25 PM
I test-sat a MS6 last night while waiting for my wife to get to the dealership. Personally, I can't see what the complaints about the interior materials are all about...it looked and felt fine to me. The 6-speed throw weight & feel was pretty unusual, I thought, but not bad. This dealership had at least eight MS6s sitting out front, maybe 10...I was a little surprised. None of them were marked down that I could see, though. They had a LOT of CX-7s, also.

I love the little changes to the 2007 Mazda 3 front end. That is just a nice looking car.
© CEG Archives