Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Wien_Sean A tram that moves boats... - 08/15/06 07:00 PM
I found this on another forum and figured I would post it. It's a tram in Russia that moves boats from one side of a dam to the other.

Link
Posted By: RawBurt Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/15/06 07:14 PM
Thats pretty cool
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/15/06 07:52 PM
yeah, they have a big ship like that, that ships boats all over. They have a system pretty much like that. It was on Modern Marvels I think. They had a list of the dementions of the boats, set up the things(boards they might need and the stands and all) they lower the ship, boat sails in, they raise the ship, and the divers in the water center the boats on the stands. Forgot what it's called though.
Posted By: Tisby Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/15/06 08:55 PM
I wonder how much they charge for that...
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 04:20 AM
thats pretty sweet, and huge!

i saw something like that one discovery, cept it was in ireland or scotland, its like a ferris wheel setup and costs hardly anything to move the boats, wish i could remeber what it was called and get a link....
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 04:45 AM
It was moving a barge in the pictures, not a boat. I imagine they could move some boats, but it looks more like it's setup to move just barges.

Very cool. Probably goes much quicker than if it had to go through a series of locks.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Renee:
yeah, they have a big ship like that, that ships boats all over. They have a system pretty much like that. It was on Modern Marvels I think. They had a list of the dementions of the boats, set up the things(boards they might need and the stands and all) they lower the ship, boat sails in, they raise the ship, and the divers in the water center the boats on the stands. Forgot what it's called though.

I think you're thinking about the ships that can partially submerge and then have a ship move above the deck and then surface to move the ship(s) anywhere.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by Renee:

I think you're thinking about the ships that can partially submerge and then have a ship move above the deck and then surface to move the ship(s) anywhere.

yeah, that's it
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:
I found this on another forum and figured I would post it. It's a tram in Russia that moves boats from one side of a dam to the other.

Link

I wounder how many fish died in the making of this article?
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 04:57 PM
I still think a lock system would be more efficient.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 05:10 PM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:

i saw something like that one discovery, cept it was in ireland or scotland, its like a ferris wheel setup and costs hardly anything to move the boats, wish i could remeber what it was called and get a link....

You're thinking of the Falkirk Lock.

Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 05:36 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:

It is Russia...
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 06:40 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

thats the one!
Posted By: TGO Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/16/06 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:
Originally posted by XKontour98:

It is Russia...

I'm sure there is a reason for the way they do it. That looks like a pretty steep incline right away, and also it's probably faster than locks. But the tram is obviously more practical for the application.
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: A tram that moves boats... - 08/17/06 05:24 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

thats the one!

I'vee seen that on TV as well. Pretty cool!
© CEG Archives