Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: The Digital Slacker CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 03:42 AM
The deal is I have two partitions on my harddrive. Partition 0 which is 45gb ntfs that has winxp on it. Partition 1 is 10gb and has macOSx x86 installed on it. My problem is how to get partition 1 to boot?

I've tried using a MBR tool to 'deactivate' and 'hide' partition 0 so that just partiton 1 is shown in the MBR. That didn't work. I've also tried editing my boot.ini file pointing it to partition 1, but the problem is that just wants to load a windows OS from a different location... so no dice. I've tried to boot from the OSX x86 dvd (using terminal once I get the installer open)... but no dice on that too.

My question is there a boot cd that will look, see what partitions I have, and allow me to boot from any of them? I finished the OSX installer, and it SHOULD be ready to go... but I can't boot that partition. Anyone have any ideas? I can boot from a USB thumbdrive... so if there is something that I can do that way please let me know. I'd love to get OSX running native in a semi-dual boot config.

I am 100% fine with having to put in a cd and boot from that, or put in a usb drive and boot from that to get OSx running... then just have windows all the other time. thanks!
Posted By: GS474 Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 01:16 PM
is this on an actual mac or a pc

if its on a pc i bealeave theres a few commands to do in linux to get eveything working right

if its a mac i don't have any expereince what so ever

there is an episode of hak5 that probly has some show note that will help you out but i can't find the episode

il post later
Posted By: GS474 Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 01:28 PM
its doesn't say the in the shownotes witch episode it was

but i know there is an episode were they installed os x on a pc laptop download the free dvd they have i know its on there
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 02:30 PM
Its on a PC... a centrino 1.5ghz.
Posted By: GS474 Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 02:41 PM
just a shot i don't know how you could get back to the windows partition try making the aother partition active

gpartition might help

but try downloading that dvd from hak5 theres a a part were they show you how
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 02:59 PM
i use BootMagic for my OSX and Win XP boot on my toshiba. And works great.

Cough *torrent* cough

Originally posted by GS474:
its doesn't say the in the shownotes witch episode it was

but i know there is an episode were they installed os x on a pc laptop download the free dvd they have i know its on there

If your talking Hak 5 (love the show by the way) They didn't do a dual boot, and now you can install OSX natively

scroll down towards the bottom of the page
Posted By: Judge_dup1 Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FFE:

If your talking Hak 5 (love the show by the way) They didn't do a dual boot, and now you can install OSX natively

ok..what is Hak 5 and what channel?
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 03:51 PM
IP TV

Episodes avalibable at

www.hak5.org
Posted By: Pigeon Re: CD boot loader? - 08/11/06 07:22 PM
Anyone want to help out a fellow CEGer and hook me up with an install DVD for OSx86? I don't have a dvd burner and can't find a working download even if I did. I want to put this on my AMD64 processor laptop quite badly.

Scott

<edit>PS: Did you make partition 1 an active partition? I recall reading that was a key step in all this partitioning business when I was looking into doing this a while back.
© CEG Archives