Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Nate S VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:20 AM
I found some very old Canadian Club whiskey in my liquor cabinet (the house and its contents was left to my family after a close friend passed away years ago). There are several unopened bottles (smallest size...looks like there are about 1-2 shots per tiny bottle). Guess what the date says on each bottle?

1965. Each bottle is also aged 6 years prior to the date that is printed on the seal! Is this stuff worth anything? I'm not a whiskey connoisseur by any means, but this stuff sure tastes wonderful!

BTW, We also have an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels dating back to the 60's as well

So...what's the oldest alcoholic beverage you have?
Posted By: red99sesport Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:29 AM
Scotch that was bought in the early 1980s that was bottled in 1963 and had been in barrels aging for 13 years prior to that. I think that makes that Scotch 56 years old.

BTW, as I'm sure you know real alcohol like whiskey doesn't go bad, especially if it is in a sealed container.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Nate S:
So...what's the oldest alcoholic beverage you have?

Uhhhh stuff that was bought tonight. Jim beam and jack daniels.

It will be cool if what you have is worth a dime. Keep this thread updated as to what happens with it.
Posted By: Nate S Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:33 AM
Originally posted by red99sesport:

BTW, as I'm sure you know real alcohol like whiskey doesn't go bad, especially if it is in a sealed container.

Wait, really?! I just spent the last half hour pouring it all out to make room for my Barton's vodka!
Posted By: striker2 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:35 AM

Wait, really?! I just spent the last half hour pouring it all out to make room for my Barton's vodka!

into a glass to drink
Posted By: red99sesport Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:37 AM

The 56 year old Scotch is still good. We have other alcohol that has been opened and then moved from one house to another for a grand total of 4 times and it is still good too. Sorry about your loss.
Posted By: Nate S Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:39 AM
Haha, it was a joke...of course I'm gonna save it

I actually just drank 2 of the bottles with some dr. pepper. Yummy
Posted By: sigma Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:44 AM
You find 50 year old whiskey and you mix it with Dr. Pepper?

Now I love some Dr. Pepper as much as any good Texan should but what a waste of good whiskey.
Posted By: Nate S Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:47 AM
Tell me about it! I feel like a crimminal...
Haha, I assure you, I drank a couple of shots of it on the rocks, straight.

I had to mix the rest with Dr. Pepper though...I have work at 8 am!
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:51 AM
I have two bottles that I believe date from Prohibition.

They have "bottled in Bond" and "Under U.S. Government Supervision" all over them. The bottles themselves say Illegal for sale. Company is J.W. Dant out of Kentucky.

According to whiskeyportal.com, the distillery closed around 1950. According to straightbourbon.com, the brand was kept but the name of the actual distillery changed after that.

I took them from my grandma's for decoration/collection purposes. I'm NOT going to even TRY drinking them.
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 03:55 AM
BTW, We also have an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels dating back to the 60's as well

Now that could be worth something. I guess you couldn't put it on Ebay though.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 04:01 AM
Originally posted by sigma:
You find 50 year old whiskey and you mix it with Dr. Pepper?

Now I love some Dr. Pepper as much as any good Texan should but what a waste of good whiskey.

I was going to say that was a waste of good Dr. Pepper!

Dr. Pepper = Nectar of the Gods : as I proved by saying so in the Creationism Museum thread!
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 04:03 AM
Yech! Dr. Pepper is nasty! Maybe the piss water of the gods.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 04:12 AM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:

HOW DARE YOU!
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:01 PM
It was also proven that beer is god, therefore beer>Dr. Pepper. However, It is written that prohibition wiskey is the king of the gods, Zeus if you will. Therefore, prohibition wiskey>beer>Dr. Pepper. So it is written, so it shall be.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:07 PM
Great find Nate! I would keep an unopened bottle for myself and then try and sell the rest. You may be able to sell them to an antique dealer...
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:08 PM
Great find Nate! I would keep an unopened bottle for myself and then try and sell the rest. In the spirit of things I would naturally buy more alcohol with the cash! You may be able to sell them to an antique dealer...
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:11 PM

AMEN! i hate dr. pepper. *gags*

~Andrew
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:

~Andrew

Must not be enough fruit in it!
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:29 PM
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:

~Andrew

shut it, einstein

~Andrew
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:45 PM
It's too bad ya'll don't get the "real" Dr. Pepper up north. Down here it is made by Coca-Cola, up there it is made by Pepsi. Figure it out.

That's why TEXAS Dr. Pepper is God.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 12:46 PM
E-mail a collector

Posted By: chemguru_dup1 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 01:23 PM
Whiskey and scotch, unlike wine, essentially stop "aging" once the cask has been opened and the contents bottled.

Still, I'd love to try a glass. =] Nice find though.

--JamesT
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 01:25 PM
Originally posted by chemguru:
Whiskey and scotch, unlike wine, essentially stop "aging" once the cask has been opened and the contents bottled.

Still, I'd love to try a glass. =] Nice find though.

Correct. However, there is some collector value in the bottles/labels - especially if un-opened.

Jack Daniels seems very interested in preserving their history, so they may be interested in the un-opened bottles.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
It's too bad ya'll don't get the "real" Dr. Pepper up north. Down here it is made by Coca-Cola, up there it is made by Pepsi. Figure it out.

That's why TEXAS Dr. Pepper is God.

Distributed by, not made by. If Coca-Cola made Dr. Pepper, they'd have no need for Mr. Pibb.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 05:25 PM
I've got a sealed bottle of Hennessy Cognac from the 40's (specifically from sometime between 1942 and 1946).
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 05:46 PM
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:

~Andrew

I'm sure there's plenty, I mean 23 flavors? 23!!
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 05:47 PM
I've got some 1968 Jim Beam that was 10 years old (so distilled in 1958) Tastey.

-C
Posted By: cliffjohnson_dup1 Re: VERY old whiskey! - 08/10/06 05:50 PM
when i was 16 (now 27) we skipped school and had a party at my house. my dad bought rolling rock beer from when he lived in san diego and kept it. this made the beer roughly 17-18 years old. so this chic cracked one open and started to chug before i could say anything. she got about two gulps before she stopped, looked at everyone, turned pale white and bolted for the bathroom. that was the oldest alcohol i ever had.
© CEG Archives